The Student Room Group

Uni course help urgent

I was previously interested in doing medicine and dentistry however I done my UKCAT and ahcieved a score of 615 band 3 so this wasnt the best and I didnt want any rejections. So now I dont know what course to do, something science related , I was looking into pharmacy or optometry and possibly chemical engineering.
AS Results : ABBB
A Level prediction: AAA
Subjects: Maths , Biology , Chemistry
Original post by Anon12345672000
I was previously interested in doing medicine and dentistry however I done my UKCAT and ahcieved a score of 615 band 3 so this wasnt the best and I didnt want any rejections. So now I dont know what course to do, something science related , I was looking into pharmacy or optometry and possibly chemical engineering.
AS Results : ABBB
A Level prediction: AAA
Subjects: Maths , Biology , Chemistry

I've moved this to the healthcare courses section for you, why don't you get some work experience in pharmacy or optometry before you make a decision?
Original post by claireestelle
I've moved this to the healthcare courses section for you, why don't you get some work experience in pharmacy or optometry before you make a decision?

I already have work experience in optometry and I know some of the roles in pharmacy however im thinking whther a specfic degree or a broad degree is the best option as I do not know what to do in the future.
I already have work experience in optometry and I know some of the roles in pharmacy however im thinking whther a specfic degree or a broad degree is the best option as I do not know what to do in the future.

Pharmacy and optometry are very specific whereas chemical engineering isnt, if you aren't sure i wouldnt be rushing to apply this year as you only get so much funding for a degree so if you change your mind further down the line then it makes things harder for you.
Pharmacy and optometry are very specific whereas chemical engineering isnt, if you aren't sure i wouldnt be rushing to apply this year as you only get so much funding for a degree so if you change your mind further down the line then it makes things harder for you.

But I want to apply this year im not keen on taking a year
But I want to apply this year im not keen on taking a year

If you apply this year for something you aren't sure about, then it would be a waste of a few grand if you change your mind. Can you see yourself as a pharmacist or optometrist?
If you apply this year for something you aren't sure about, then it would be a waste of a few grand if you change your mind. Can you see yourself as a pharmacist or optometrist?

Yeh I get what you mean but thats why I was thinking of a much more generic degree, I can see myself doing them yeh.
Yeh I get what you mean but thats why I was thinking of a much more generic degree, I can see myself doing them yeh.

The difficulty is if you do a general degree then you would have to find the cash to fund a degree to do one of those jobs.
The difficulty is if you do a general degree then you would have to find the cash to fund a degree to do one of those jobs.

Im not sure what you mean by this
Im not sure what you mean by this

If you do chemical engineering, you can't change your mind and go into healthcare so you need to be sure.
If you do chemical engineering, you can't change your mind and go into healthcare so you need to be sure.

Yeah I understand now, it just choosing the best course which leads to a good job, ive been looking for ages now an im not keen on the gap year. I feel so lost
Yeah I understand now, it just choosing the best course which leads to a good job, ive been looking for ages now an im not keen on the gap year. I feel so lost

If you won't take a gap year then just make a pros and cons list for each so you can hopefully make the most informed decision that you can.
If you won't take a gap year then just make a pros and cons list for each so you can hopefully make the most informed decision that you can.

Yeh I think I will try that now thank you, if not ill have to look into chemical engineering
Cellular and Molecular Medicine - the course pathways, and career options, are wide/varied/interesting : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/study/undergraduate/index.html
Original post by returnmigrant
Cellular and Molecular Medicine - the course pathways, and career options, are wide/varied/interesting : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/study/undergraduate/index.html

what can you do with this type of degree??

Quick Reply

Latest