The Student Room Group

UK most overweight country in Western Europe

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
I can't tell if this is a question or not?

The question mark should probably have given you a wee clue.
Too many bad genes in our country it seems
Original post by Laissez‒faire

Hopefully you'd be a little bit more understanding if you knew about boogie's history and his mental health problems.
Take aways everywhere
British drinking culture
Supermarket shelves filled with cheap foods packed with ridiculous amounts of sugar
Car ownership

Not surprised that the UK is the fat man of Western Europe.
Reply 24
Original post by Laissez‒faire

Sent from my Nintendo DS

To be fair.. she has got diet coke and not regular coke
Reply 25
Disgusting.
Reply 26
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
**** off nazi scum (i can tell u r a nazi cuz i no ur avatar is that nazi war criminal)

ur orange hitler 2.0 is obeser than i am

Rommel wasn't a Nazi :^|
He was a German general, Hitler made him commit suicide.
Original post by Zxyn
To be fair.. she has got diet coke and not regular coke

What is wrong with water? I don't understand the folks that fill their trolley with fizzy drinks when water comes out of the tap for almost nothing.
Reply 28
Original post by ByEeek
What is wrong with water? I don't understand the folks that fill their trolley with fizzy drinks when water comes out of the tap for almost nothing.

Tap water?? Ew. I only drink bottled water but sure, at least tap water has flavour although I’m not sure chlorine sits well with most taste buds. There’s nothing wrong with adding some sugar free squash, it’ll still be like 95% water…

I don’t drink fizzy much, even the sugar free stuff is unhealthy and clearly doesn’t have health benefits like water does, and the fact it’s acidic is bad enough for your body if you consume a lot of it
Original post by Zxyn
Tap water?? Ew. I only drink bottled water but sure, at least tap water has flavour although I’m not sure chlorine sits well with most taste buds. There’s nothing wrong with adding some sugar free squash, it’ll still be like 95% water…

I don’t drink fizzy much, even the sugar free stuff is unhealthy and clearly doesn’t have health benefits like water does, and the fact it’s acidic is bad enough for your body if you consume a lot of it

Ha! Rather amusing that you drink bottle water. If you drink cheap water, you are drinking tap water put into bottles in a factory and if you are drinking spring water, you are drinking tap water that didn't travel down a pipe to reach your house. :-)

My tap water comes from the same place Buxton Water comes from - except it is much cheaper and doesn't require lots of environmentally unfriendly bottling and transportation.

As for unsweetened fruit juice - all fruit juice has sugar in it, so it is unsweetened, it has had the sugars removed and replaced with artificial sweeteners which mess with your body because you think you have drunk something full of energy but the reality is that you haven't. This serves to stimulate your appetite meaning you are likely to overeat. Hence the reason obese people who drink lots of diet drinks don't seem to lose weight.
Reply 30
Original post by ByEeek
Ha! Rather amusing that you drink bottle water. If you drink cheap water, you are drinking tap water put into bottles in a factory and if you are drinking spring water, you are drinking tap water that didn't travel down a pipe to reach your house. :-)

My tap water comes from the same place Buxton Water comes from - except it is much cheaper and doesn't require lots of environmentally unfriendly bottling and transportation.

As for unsweetened fruit juice - all fruit juice has sugar in it, so it is unsweetened, it has had the sugars removed and replaced with artificial sweeteners which mess with your body because you think you have drunk something full of energy but the reality is that you haven't. This serves to stimulate your appetite meaning you are likely to overeat. Hence the reason obese people who drink lots of diet drinks don't seem to lose weight.

Evian, smartwater and highland don’t come from tap water. Tap water is recycled water from rivers, drenched with chemicals (mostly chlorine) im not sure what your tap water tastes like because you probably live in a different area but mine is hard water and is overpowered by chlorine. Even the cheap bottled water might be from taps but at least it’s been filtered once. Also, I hate Buxton, their bottles are awful and it doesn’t taste nice! Plus I was was watching a video and It showed that tap water has an acidic PH while the likes of Evian have a slightly alkaline PH but near to 7 - which is where you’d want water to be.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think that our education system also promotes this amongst teenagers. We go through a system where you spend months revising for your final exams, so how many people can afford to do proper exercise during that time? How many people can spend the time to make a decent healthy meal when they're revising for their final exams which makes up 2 years of work?

Also some places literally have nothing to do, and for young people it's hard to access the countryside when there's no way to get there.
Original post by Zxyn
Evian, smartwater and highland don’t come from tap water. Tap water is recycled water from rivers

Where do you think Evian comes from? It started in a cloud - it came down the mountain in a river and ended up underground. And where as it doesn't have Chlorine in it, it does have chemicals, such as Calcium and Carbonate chemicals, Carbonic Acid and other stuff found in water that was once in the sky.

The irony is that most tap water in this country (certainly if you live down south) comes from aquifers that are not a million miles away from those used by Evian. My water comes from the Peak District and the Mancunians a little further north get their water from the Lake District. Lovely!
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I think that our education system also promotes this amongst teenagers. We go through a system where you spend months revising for your final exams, so how many people can afford to do proper exercise during that time? How many people can spend the time to make a decent healthy meal when they're revising for their final exams which makes up 2 years of work?

Also some places literally have nothing to do, and for young people it's hard to access the countryside when there's no way to get there.

Exercise doesnt contribute that much to whether people lose or gain weight

You dont need to eat healthy either to maintain a 'normal' (so not obese) weight either, the only thing that matters when it comes to whether you gain, lose or maintain weight is calories in vs calories out, people get fat because they eat more calories than they burn ie greedy
Original post by madmadmax321

You dont need to eat healthy either to maintain a 'normal' (so not obese) weight either, the only thing that matters when it comes to whether you gain, lose or maintain weight is calories in vs calories out, people get fat because they eat more calories than they burn ie greedy

Not everyone is fat because they're greedy. Rather an unfair assumption to make. Someone who sits inside all day is much more likely to not lose weight than someone who is out and about all day.
Not everyone is fat because they're greedy. Rather an unfair assumption to make. Someone who sits inside all day is much more likely to not lose wait than someone who is out and about all day.

So they should just eat less as they require less calories?

It isnt really a unfair assumption, if you are eating more than you need then that is you being greedy
(edited 6 years ago)
This is sad
So they should just eat less as they require less calories?

It isnt really a unfair assumption, if you are eating more than you need then that is you being greedy

Some people binge eat due to mental issues. Are they being greedy?

Do people really believe this? I know the body isn't a physics formula, but broadly speaking, energy out energy in. If more energy is going in than out, you put weight on, if visa versa, you lose weight. The only thing that complicates matters is that as you lose fat, you gain muscle, but if you weigh 25 stone, chances are you are stronger than me. I certainly couldn't lump 12 stone around on my back all day long.
Some people binge eat due to mental issues. Are they being greedy?

No but they have a underlying problem which is causing them to eat lots and become obese, however these people should work on getting better which will then lead to them slowly losing the weight as they will binge less (though this is the least important issue of someone with mental health issue, and getting better mentally is the most important priority, I know this factor from first hand experience, I did suffer from severe mental health issues for a period of time and eating was one of my ways of 'coping')

Though imo the majority of people who are obese didnt get there because of their mental health issues

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending