The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I’m triggered
I resent the idea of being pressured into buying something that is just used for propaganda and bullying others into being "anti-veteran"

The fight was for individual freedom, including the freedom to not wear poppies
Reply 22
Original post by Wired_1800
But you don't have to donate when it is time to buy a poppy? The British Legion and other Charities are open everyday and you can donate more than once.

Apologies, I am not trying to call you out. However, i have seen people put themselves on a pedestal for donating £1 to buy a poppy, when others, who don't wear one, are probably spending more and contributing more to the lives of the veterans and their families.

Of course you can donate whenever. And I agree, just because you donate £1 for a poppy doesn't make you an amazing person whatsoever. I'd argue that as a society, all our £1's together, is a wonderful and beautiful acheivement. It is something so widespread. I haven't always lived in the UK, and I have noticed just how powerful charities are here. Poppies are such a big thing and I think it's beautiful that not only does a society reflect, but also donate which together is a wonderful thing for change. I think for many who haven't lived elsewhere but the UK may not realise just how central charities are in our culture, and I think it's great.

The thing is, those who are helping veterans and their families probably do wear poppies as it's respect to those they're helping. I think in the end we all live busy lives, and the small difference we make is great. But I agree with you that you shouldn't put yourself on a pedestal for it.

I guess a worry is that as more people decide to not wear a poppy, less money is raised for charity, which is sad. I'd say because you personally get an outcome; an item; it's a two way thing, and I think that's one of the best kinds of charity.
Original post by xCaHx
Of course you can donate whenever. And I agree, just because you donate £1 for a poppy doesn't make you an amazing person whatsoever. I'd argue that as a society, all our £1's together, is a wonderful and beautiful acheivement. It is something so widespread. I haven't always lived in the UK, and I have noticed just how powerful charities are here. Poppies are such a big thing and I think it's beautiful that not only does a society reflect, but also donate which together is a wonderful thing for change. I think for many who haven't lived elsewhere but the UK may not realise just how central charities are in our culture, and I think it's great.

The thing is, those who are helping veterans and their families probably do wear poppies as it's respect to those they're helping. I think in the end we all live busy lives, and the small difference we make is great. But I agree with you that you shouldn't put yourself on a pedestal for it.

I guess a worry is that as more people decide to not wear a poppy, less money is raised for charity, which is sad. I'd say because you personally get an outcome; an item; it's a two way thing, and I think that's one of the best kinds of charity.

Fair enough. However, we should not limit our contributions to buying a poppy once a year.
Reply 24
Original post by Wired_1800
Fair enough. However, we should not limit our contributions to buying a poppy once a year.

Of course not and I think you're right. Although, my focus is not generally on veterans and their families, I do volunteer work with kids and I talk to and help the homeless by buying food. I don't actually donate to charities and so it makes me happy to do do this atleast once a year. I think that's the same for many other british people. As much as they'd agree with you, people don't care that much or they want the money for themselves. But the fact that they care atleast about the poppy is nice, and I think people really undermine the impact that buying a £1 has for veterans as a collective. I guess that makes me sad because a lot of those who won't buy poppy's won't necessarily donate or volunteer either.
Reply 25
I guess my point is as much as people will put won't wear poppies because of glorification, or not needing it to remember the wars/reflect, I think the overall effect of helping the veterans as a society is a reason overshadowed. If you think of the overall outcome, buying a poppy has a more positive effect than not buying one/not donating. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense.
Original post by xCaHx
Of course not and I think you're right. Although, my focus is not generally on veterans and their families, I do volunteer work with kids and I talk to and help the homeless by buying food. I don't actually donate to charities and so it makes me happy to do do this atleast once a year. I think that's the same for many other british people. As much as they'd agree with you, people don't care that much or they want the money for themselves. But the fact that they care atleast about the poppy is nice, and I think people really undermine the impact that buying a £1 has for veterans as a collective. I guess that makes me sad because a lot of those who won't buy poppy's won't necessarily donate or volunteer either.

Original post by xCaHx
I guess my point is as much as people will put won't wear poppies because of glorification, or not needing it to remember the wars/reflect, I think the overall effect of helping the veterans as a society is a reason overshadowed. If you think of the overall outcome, buying a poppy has a more positive effect than not buying one/not donating. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

That is very true and you have made great points, which I agree with.

We need to do more for others, especially those who have given their lives in service to protect us.
Reply 27
Thanks everyone for your honest and revealing responses.

People talk about not feeling connected ... that's because you have been shielded.
These guys put themselves in harms way in far away places such as Afghanistan and Iraq to attack the "nests" of ideologies that believe their way is the only true way and they do well to bring down civilisations based on different ways. If they hadn't done so you would probably be feeling a lot more connected, "9/11" would have been repeated many times over.

The mental and physical injuries cost money to repair so that the defenders of the freedoms we enjoy can themselves have some recovery.

Original post by gonelifting
Bonfire night is a good example - how many people who went to a firework display or who had a bonfire this month did it because they were celebrating the survival of King James the first?

Very few because it wasn't celebrating that. It was an attack on the parliamentary democracy brought about by Protestantism in an attempt to return to Medieval Catholicism.

Either history isn't being taught or people don't want to learn.

As has been said before:
"the one thing we learn from history, is that we don't learn from history"
(edited 6 years ago)
If I walk past someone selling poppies, I'll give my pound coin to support.

It's one of the few times I can feel happy from giving charity. It's only asking and only expecting £1, I know it's going to help war veterans.
Reply 29
I'm involved with charities all the time, including the RBL. I never feel compelled to wear a poppy. My grandfathers didn't compel me, and the guys at the RBL do not, either.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Not made of money.
Lamest excuse ever. They barely ask for any money at all, like 20p or so.
Well, I dont feel the need to wear a poppy in order to remember people.
Reply 32
Because i'm a terrible person, why else?
I don't feel very connected to World War I (and if I did, it'd be on the "wrong" side because I'm half German...). You can remember the sacrifice that people made without buying one. But what really bugs me about the poppy is that in my opinion, the poppy has become a bit of a status symbol. When I see people on TV wearing them, the (rather large) cynical side of me wonders whether they actually care about the cause or even paid for it.

Remembering World War I is important, but in my opinion it's far more important to try to prevent World War III.
Original post by TheMindGarage
I don't feel very connected to World War I (and if I did, it'd be on the "wrong" side because I'm half German...). You can remember the sacrifice that people made without buying one. But what really bugs me about the poppy is that in my opinion, the poppy has become a bit of a status symbol. When I see people on TV wearing them, the (rather large) cynical side of me wonders whether they actually care about the cause or even paid for it.

Remembering World War I is important, but in my opinion it's far more important to try to prevent World War III.

The point of rememberance day is to pay respects for those who died in all wars.

Although, does Germany have its own rememberance day?
Original post by stoyfan
The point of rememberance day is to pay respects for those who died in all wars.

Although, does Germany have its own rememberance day?

I respect them and observe the silence, but I don't buy a poppy. I feel like nowadays there's a sort of social pressure compelling people to buy them.

No idea. I've lived in the UK all my life, so I wouldn't know.
Original post by TheMindGarage
I respect them and observe the silence, but I don't buy a poppy. I feel like nowadays there's a sort of social pressure compelling people to buy them.

No idea. I've lived in the UK all my life, so I wouldn't know.

Fair enough.

That was what pushed me past wearing one. My RAF grandad would have been horrified to see a poppy on a fighter jet

Source: https://www.facebook.com/royalairforce/photos/a.263638134884.138827.26035834884/10151254509514885/?type=1&theater
Reply 38
Original post by That Bearded Man
The fight was for individual freedom, including the freedom to not wear poppies

Some people actively seek to take away those freedoms through aggression and terror. If no-one stands up to them they will succeed in the future just as they did at various times in the past.

What value do you but on the individual freedom you now enjoy?

Enough to put yourself in harm's way?

Enough to support those that did?
Original post by NJA
Some people actively seek to take away those freedoms through aggression and terror. If no-one stands up to them they will succeed in the future just as they did at various times in the past.

What value do you but on the individual freedom you now enjoy?

Enough to put yourself in harm's way?

Enough to support those that did?

I value individual freedom so much I do what I can to prevent these from happening again, moving away from a society where state governs what you can say, do or wear.

Like poppies.

Latest