The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We wear a Poppy to remember those that died on all sides, regardless of what their motivations were!
Original post by stephenjones91
We wear a Poppy to remember those that died on all sides, regardless of what their motivations were!

That’s not what the people who make and sell poppies say.
If you don't support the Poppy Appeal then at least support Help for Heroes. They really can turn the lives around of Service men and women and often influence people to help others in thanks for the help they received.
Here's a link to Help for Heroes:
https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/?gclid=CjwKCAiA3JrQBRBtEiwAN7cEGmOgQT6HkwL7keElkPN1fp0C_Xm9VlDwT65k8aTsHmzHy0qOJMBB2RoC0sYQAvD_BwE
Reply 143
No it doesn't I don't think.
Original post by PQ
That’s not what the people who make and sell poppies say.

Well it's not up to them to decide my reasoning to wear a poppy. Like I said, I wear it to remember all those who died in war, regardless of what their motivations were and/or what side they fought for. I honestly don't know how people think it glorifies war, I haven't meet a single person that's told me war and people dying is good thing. the poppy is a symbol used to remember the dead, it has nothing to do with wanting to start a war!
Original post by stephenjones91
Well it's not up to them to decide my reasoning to wear a poppy. Like I said, I wear it to remember all those who died in war, regardless of what their motivations were and/or what side they fought for. I honestly don't know how people think it glorifies war, I haven't meet a single person that's told me war and people dying is good thing. the poppy is a symbol used to remember the dead, it has nothing to do with wanting to start a war!

You didn’t say “I” you said “We”. Most people take the RBL and the poppy appeal at their word when they say what it symbolises. You might not agree with that but you can’t claim poppies commemorate all sides when the poppy appeal are 100% clear that they don’t.
Original post by iodo345
Too much left wing indoctrination in the education system. I haven't seen many muslims or immigrants wearing them or even young british people. It tends to only be the elderly british who where them who probably lived in that period or had relatives who fought.

So sad how much the left disrespects soldiers and veterans because it doesn’t fit their narrative.
(edited 6 years ago)
Honestly reading some of the comments on here and seeing how completely ignorant some people are makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. First of all, young people living in this day and age with all of the privileges we take for granted have NO right whatsoever to judge those of the past by today’s standards.
Remembrance day is NOT about russia. It’s NOT about Nazi’s. It is NOT about Syria today, it is not about colonialism 300 years ago. Poppies are not pro-British propaganda. They serve to pay respects to the allied soldiers who fought in WWI and WWII, sacrificed their lives, their safety, their freedom so that we can have the and privileges that we have today. Absolute hypocrisy to criticize the courage and bravery of those soldiers based on leftist morals and values of today, which by the way exist because we have the PRIVILEGE to live in a society that isn’t on the forefront of war. I find it disgusting and appalling that there are actually people on here openly disrespecting our armed forces. Yes soldiers deal with violence and conflict, but they do it so YOU don’t have to. War is unfortunate but inevitable reality and you’re living in a fantasy if you think bashing our military is going to stop that.

I️ have worn a poppy in Britain. I️ have worn a poppy in the United States. I️ have worn a poppy in canada and I’ve worn a poppy in FRANCE, where my grandfathers were buried because they understood the meaning of honor and hard work, about which unfortunately most of this generation doesn’t have a clue.

There are very few people in Britain and abroad whose lives have not been affected by the great wars in some way. Please do not destroy our own history through selfishness, ignorance bigotry or presentism. If you feel you have no reason to wear a poppy then don’t do it for yourself. Do it for the wives, sons, daughters, grandchildren who lost their husbands, fathers, and grandfathers many of whom were no older than most of us when they died. Let them know that their losses have not been forgotten.

Thank you to everyone who was worn a poppy this month. It lifts my spirits to know that not everyone of this generation is an ungrateful, spoiled millennial - at least some people actually have a sense of the real world. xx
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Guru Jason
Seems a third of young people are idiots. Poppys are to remember those who died in war on any side. It's a mark of respect for the dead, not a call to arms. I will be wearing mine.

*bows down*
I wasn't going to post in this thread again, but I wanted to round up some of my opinions, having read all the comments in this forum.

I stand by what I say, my opinions on war and our armed forces have not changed. I am a pacifist, I will never accept war in any form, I will not support our current armed forces in any way. To me, they are murderers, and they have chosen to become murderers. I have donated money to the British Legion but I will not wear a poppy because today I am choosing to remember ALL of those who have fallen in war, not just the British. To me, a poppy represents a certain political agenda placed on us by the media, and to an extent the Legion themselves. That political agenda, to me, is that the army is justified, and right, and only the British fallen are worth thinking about.

I am not disrespecting the fallen of the World Wars by refusing to wear a poppy. I remember them, and I respect their sacrifice. I remember that they had no choice. I do not need to wear a piece of paper to remember dead people. I don't think that the British centric version of Remembrance Day is something I will ever agree with, and I think others need to realise that it wasn't just our soldiers who died. To those of you who say I don't understand the significance of the day? I do. 11/11 was the time that the First World War ended. When people on ALL sides stopped killing each other. Our country has just made this event all about us, and our sacrifices.

When I observed a two minute silence at work yesterday, I thought about German, Russian, British, French, American, and every other nationality of soldiers who have died, on either side, of any war. I thought about people who had died making ammunition, and bombs, and I thought about all those Syrian families that our armed forces have inadvertently murdered.

To those of you that are offended by that? Grow the **** up. I have an opinion, you have yours. I will observe this day in my own way, respecting all who have died in war, and criticising the act of war and our current military.
Reply 150
We wear poppies because they're an easy mean to show our respect to young men who have died and continue to die in the service of our country. Poppies have been worn for millennia, meaning sleep and peace in Greek mythology, an offering to the dead. Flowers have never meant an admittance to condoning war, think back to Flower Power in 1967, exactly 50 years ago!
Wearing poppies in Britain is a sort of cultural thing nowadays, and the same can be said for other nations around the world like Australia and Amsterdam. I imagine in syrian culture syrians have their own cultural way to commemorate the loss of their people.
Also that is absolute ******** about the money going to the army, it goes to helping wounded soldiers and their families! Lo and behold if there's ever another war where we need soldiers, because the unpatriotic likes of you, who just want to prattle on about syrians and aren't willing to remember the combined 80 million people who died worldwide because of WW1 and 2 wont fit the bill!. You live in Britain, so accept our ****ing traditions.
Reply 151
Original post by oliviaminor
Honestly reading some of the comments on here and seeing how completely ignorant some people are makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. First of all, young people living in this day and age with all of the privileges we take for granted have NO right whatsoever to judge those of the past by today’s standards.
Remembrance day is NOT about russia. It’s NOT about Nazi’s. It is NOT about Syria today, it is not about colonialism 300 years ago. Poppies are not pro-British propaganda. They serve to pay respects to the allied soldiers who fought in WWI and WWII, sacrificed their lives, their safety, their freedom so that we can have the and privileges that we have today. Absolute hypocrisy to criticize the courage and bravery of those soldiers based on leftist morals and values of today, which by the way exist because we have the PRIVILEGE to live in a society that isn’t on the forefront of war. I find it disgusting and appalling that there are actually people on here openly disrespecting our armed forces. Yes soldiers deal with violence and conflict, but they do it so YOU don’t have to. War is unfortunate but inevitable reality and you’re living in a fantasy if you think bashing our military is going to stop that.

I️ have worn a poppy in Britain. I️ have worn a poppy in the United States. I️ have worn a poppy in canada and I’ve worn a poppy in FRANCE, where my grandfathers were buried because they understood the meaning of honor and hard work, about which unfortunately most of this generation doesn’t have a clue.

There are very few people in Britain and abroad whose lives have not been affected by the great wars in some way. Please do not destroy our own history through selfishness, ignorance bigotry or presentism. If you feel you have no reason to wear a poppy then don’t do it for yourself. Do it for the wives, sons, daughters, grandchildren who lost their husbands, fathers, and grandfathers many of whom were no older than most of us when they died. Let them know that their losses have not been forgotten.

Thank you to everyone who was worn a poppy this month. It lifts my spirits to know that not everyone of this generation is an ungrateful, spoiled millennial - at least some people actually have a sense of the real world. xx

hear hear ! well said my friend!
Reply 152
Original post by EllieCeeJay
I wasn't going to post in this thread again, but I wanted to round up some of my opinions, having read all the comments in this forum.

I stand by what I say, my opinions on war and our armed forces have not changed. I am a pacifist, I will never accept war in any form, I will not support our current armed forces in any way. To me, they are murderers, and they have chosen to become murderers. I have donated money to the British Legion but I will not wear a poppy because today I am choosing to remember ALL of those who have fallen in war, not just the British. To me, a poppy represents a certain political agenda placed on us by the media, and to an extent the Legion themselves. That political agenda, to me, is that the army is justified, and right, and only the British fallen are worth thinking about.

I am not disrespecting the fallen of the World Wars by refusing to wear a poppy. I remember them, and I respect their sacrifice. I remember that they had no choice. I do not need to wear a piece of paper to remember dead people. I don't think that the British centric version of Remembrance Day is something I will ever agree with, and I think others need to realise that it wasn't just our soldiers who died. To those of you who say I don't understand the significance of the day? I do. 11/11 was the time that the First World War ended. When people on ALL sides stopped killing each other. Our country has just made this event all about us, and our sacrifices.

When I observed a two minute silence at work yesterday, I thought about German, Russian, British, French, American, and every other nationality of soldiers who have died, on either side, of any war. I thought about people who had died making ammunition, and bombs, and I thought about all those Syrian families that our armed forces have inadvertently murdered.

To those of you that are offended by that? Grow the **** up. I have an opinion, you have yours. I will observe this day in my own way, respecting all who have died in war, and criticising the act of war and our current military.

We wear poppies because they're an easy mean to show our respect to young men who have died and continue to die in the service of our country. Poppies have been worn for millennia, meaning sleep and peace in Greek mythology, an offering to the dead. Flowers have never meant an admittance to condoning war, think back to Flower Power in 1967, exactly 50 years ago!
Wearing poppies in Britain is a sort of cultural thing nowadays, and the same can be said for other nations around the world like Australia and Amsterdam. I imagine in syrian culture syrians have their own cultural way to commemorate the loss of their people.
Also that is absolute ******** about the money going to the army, it goes to helping wounded soldiers and their families! Lo and behold if there's ever another war where we need soldiers, because the unpatriotic likes of you, who just want to prattle on about syrians and aren't willing to remember the combined 80 million people who died worldwide because of WW1 and 2 wont fit the bill!. You live in Britain, so accept our ****ing traditions.
Original post by lafee

Never said I wasn't remembering our war dead, I just choose to remember all of the people who have died. Next time, grow up a little and read everything I say before you rant about how I don't conform to how you think everyone should be thinking :smile:
A lot of emotional posters on this thread.

I few sorry for anyone who work with you being given a lecture on how the modern army are murders

By the why my cousin was murder by the Talban in Afghanistan she was a nurse in army. She was given medical care to Afghan villagers when the army was attacked by the Talban and she was killed. Don't you ever call my kind caring beautiful loving cousin a murder She was saving the Afghan people when she murder by the Talban.
Original post by looloo2134
I few sorry for anyone who work with you being given a lecture on how the modern army are murders

By the why my cousin was murder by the Talban in Afghanistan she was a nurse in army. She was given medical care to Afghan villagers when the army was attacked by the Talban and she was killed. Don't you ever call my kind caring beautiful loving cousin a murder She was saving the Afghan people when she murder by the Talban.

Considering I was referring to those who fight in the army, I don't think I called your cousin a murderer? I didn't make it abundantly clear but I assumed people would be smart enough to understand.
Considering I was referring to those who fight in the army, I don't think I called your cousin a murderer? I didn't make it abundantly clear but I assumed people would be smart enough to understand.

I have friends who were in armed conflict Iraq and Afghanistan they not murder the terrorists are murders. Did you know terrorist in Iraq would use ten year old children as bombs. There was a case were two ladies with DS were told they were giving sweets in a box to British solders it was bomb kill the ladies 3 solders and injured two young Iraqi children.
Original post by looloo2134
I have friends who were in armed conflict Iraq and Afghanistan they not murder the terrorists are murders. Did you know terrorist in Iraq would use ten year old children as bombs. There was a case were two ladies with DS were told they were giving sweets in a box to British solders it was bomb kill the ladies 3 solders and injured two young Iraqi children.

But your friends kill people too. It is exactly the same thing, however much you don't want to believe it. Even if they don't use young children, they still point guns at human beings and pull the trigger.
But your friends kill people too. It is exactly the same thing, however much you don't want to believe it. Even if they don't use young children, they still point guns at human beings and pull the trigger.

Don’t you understand that there’s no other way to STOP the bad guys that are killing the innocent children? If not kill them what else would you propose be done? Just ask them nicely? I️ doubt that would have any effect, so please let me know what magical solution you think there is

Latest

Trending

Trending