The Student Room Group

How to get a 9 in English literature?

I'm currently working at an 8, but my target is a 9. How can I push myself to achieve this? Thanks!
Reply 1
What exam board are you doing and what texts are you studying? :smile:
A good place to start is your teacher's comments.

Also bear in mind that teachers might be hesitant to award 9s, Some will only give them out for what they see to be near-perfect essays, whereas in an exam that isn't quite the case.
Reply 3
Original post by a1icia
What exam board are you doing and what texts are you studying? :smile:

I'm studying Macbeth, Frankenstein, An Inspector Calls and also the poetry with AQA.
Reply 4
I'm doing Macbeth and the relationships section of poetry so I'm happy to help with that.

Tbh I think that the best way to ace English Lit is essay practice. Try and get your teacher to mark as many of your essays as possible and then see where you lost out on marks and be sure to improve that in your next essay. Context terminology and just using generally sophisticated vocab is the best way to get a 9 if you are already doing everything else well :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by a1icia
I'm doing Macbeth and the relationships section of poetry so I'm happy to help with that.

Tbh I think that the best way to ace English Lit is essay practice. Try and get your teacher to mark as many of your essays as possible and then see where you lost out on marks and be sure to improve that in your next essay. Context terminology and just using generally sophisticated vocab is the best way to get a 9 if you are already doing everything else well :smile:

Are you putting critical theory in your essays? My teacher told me I should teach myself about some philosophers and other figures e.g Nietzsche and Simone De Beavior.
Would be wise to ask your teacher for feedback on an exam
Reply 7
Original post by lilaccis
Are you putting critical theory in your essays? My teacher told me I should teach myself about some philosophers and other figures e.g Nietzsche and Simone De Beavior.

Yeah we get taught that. We also get taught to look at different perspectives. E.g: 'In a feminist perspective' and 'In a marxist perspective' etc. Stuff that will impress the examiners you know? Looking up philosophers is deffo a good way to go :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest