but i'm not seeing how i can prove the above one using this one here
Original post by will'o'wisp2
show using the inequality that

x1\forall\ x\geq 1

21x1+1x2^{\frac{1}{x}} \leq 1+\dfrac{1}{x}

i know bernoullis inequality is

(1+x)r1+rx(1+x)^r \geq 1+rx

but i'm not seeing how i can prove the above one using this one here

Gonna replace the variables in the ineq. and say that (1+y)r1+ry(1+y)^r \leq 1+ry for 0r10 \leq r \leq 1 and y1y \geq -1

Now work with this.
Original post by RDKGames
Gonna replace the variables in the ineq. and say that (1+y)r1+ry(1+y)^r \leq 1+ry for 0r10 \leq r \leq 1 and y1y \geq -1

Now work with this.

so the left hand side i can make 1+1/x in the form 1+rx by saying that 1+x2x 1+x^{-2} x but i'm not sure about the right hand side
so the left hand side i can make 1+1/x in the form 1+rx by saying that 1+x2x 1+x^{-2} x but i'm not sure about the right hand side

Rather than doing whatever you tried to do here, I'd recommend picking appropriate y1y \geq -1 and r=f(x)[0,1]r=f(x) \in [0,1] (for x1x \geq 1) in order to get 21/x2^{1/x} on the LHS. Then the RHS just falls out.
Rather than doing whatever you tried to do here, I'd recommend picking appropriate y1y \geq -1 and r=f(x)[0,1]r=f(x) \in [0,1] (for x1x \geq 1) in order to get 21/x2^{1/x} on the LHS. Then the RHS just falls out.

so i picked y=1 which gives me 2 but i can't think of an r within 0 and 1 inclusive so that r = 1/x i just can't find one

so i thought about 0.5 which is like to the power of 1/2 which is great but how do i do 1/x?
so i picked y=1 which gives me 2 but i can't think of an r within 0 and 1 inclusive so that r = 1/x i just can't find one

so i thought about 0.5 which is like to the power of 1/2 which is great but how do i do 1/x?

y=1y=1 is fine, but is r=1xr=\frac{1}{x} what you're looking for to substitute. Agree?
y=1y=1 is fine, but is r=1xr=\frac{1}{x} what you're looking for to substitute. Agree?

uh ye, so r= 0.x?
uh ye, so r= 0.x?

Huh?
Huh?

what am i doing with r?
what am i doing with r?

Replacing it by 1x\frac{1}{x} in the inequality, obviously.
Replacing it by 1x\frac{1}{x} in the inequality, obviously.

uh so i just get out what i question originally says, so is that the proof? finding values of y and r such that you can make the inequality in the original question?
uh so i just get out what i question originally says, so is that the proof? finding values of y and r such that you can make the inequality in the original question?

You've used a proven result (Bernoulli's ineq.) to show the proposed result by picking appropriate r,yr,y such that, for x1x \geq 1, r=1x[0,1]r=\frac{1}{x} \in [0,1] and y=11y=1\geq -1 thus satisfying Bernoulli's requirements for it to hold true, so your result must hold true. Since your result is what you're asked to prove, then well... you've proven it.

There might be a different approach but this one works out quite nicely.
(edited 6 years ago)
You've used a proven result (Bernoulli's ineq.) to show the proposed result by picking appropriate r,yr,y such that, for x1x \geq 1, r=1x[0,1]r=\frac{1}{x} \in [0,1] and y=11y=1\geq -1 thus satisfying Bernoulli's requirements for it to hold true, so your result must hold true. Since your result is what you're asked to prove, then well... you've proven it.

There might be a different approach but this one works out quite nicely.

ah ok coolio, thanks man
ah ok coolio, thanks man

You may also prove it by saying that:

Bernoulli's inequality is (1+y)x1+xy(1+y)^x \leq 1+xy for x[0,1]x \in [0,1] and y1y \geq -1.

Pick y=1y=1, then 2x1+x2^x \leq 1+x which is true by the above theorem.

Then doing x1xx \mapsto \frac{1}{x} means 21/x1+1x\displaystyle 2^{1/x} \leq 1+\frac{1}{x} if 1x[0,1]\frac{1}{x} \in [0,1] which leads us to the condition that the statement is true only if ....?

And just finish it off by stating the condition on xx from solving 01x10 \leq \frac{1}{x} \leq 1

Perhaps you're more comfortable with this approach.
(edited 6 years ago)
You may also prove it by saying that:

Bernoulli's inequality is (1+y)x1+xy(1+y)^x \leq 1+xy for x[0,1]x \in [0,1] and y1y \geq -1.

Pick y=1y=1, then 2x1+x2^x \leq 1+x which is true by the above theorem.

Then doing x1xx \mapsto \frac{1}{x} means 21/x1+1x\displaystyle 2^{1/x} \leq 1+\frac{1}{x} if 1x[0,1]\frac{1}{x} \in [0,1] which leads us to the condition that the statement is true only if ....?

And just finish it off by stating the condition on xx from solving 01x10 \leq \frac{1}{x} \leq 1

Perhaps you're more comfortable with this approach.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/322819040059850757/379380070751535105/unknown.png

i don't understand where the 1+ x multiplied by 1/x comes from
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/322819040059850757/379380070751535105/unknown.png

i don't understand where the 1+ x multiplied by 1/x comes from

(1+y)r1+ry(1+y)^r \geq 1+ry is Bernoulli's so let r=xr=x and y=1xy=\frac{1}{x} which gives the result.
(1+y)r1+ry(1+y)^r \geq 1+ry is Bernoulli's so let r=xr=x and y=1xy=\frac{1}{x} which gives the result.

Oh i see thanks

Quick Reply

Latest