The Student Room Group

How do I tell my mum I want to wear boxers?

I am a girl and i want to start wearing boxers but I don't know to tell my mum as I don't want her to think i am weird . Any advice on how best to do it

Scroll to see replies

There's no other way than just to build up the courage and ask her.

If you really don't want to ask her, you could try buying some yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Bill Nye
There's no other way than just to build up the courage and ask her.

If you really don't want to ask her, you could try buying some yourself.

Yeah I would buy myself anyway, its just I know she would see them in the washing and true I do need to but tbh I am scared but I do need to get the courage to just tell her.
Original post by EmilyMisty
I am a girl and i want to start wearing boxers but I don't know to tell my mum as I don't want her to think i am weird . Any advice on how best to do it

What is wrong with wearing boxers as a girl? I do not see any harm in doing it. They are even more protective than women knickers as it covers a lot more and talking from a guy's perspective, they are more comfortable.

So you could tell your mom that they are way more beneficial. I do not know, it is just a suggestion.
Yeah I would buy myself anyway, its just I know she would see them in the washing and true I do need to but tbh I am scared but I do need to get the courage to just tell her.

Well her seeing them in the washing might be easier. That way she would start the conversation about it (and not you), so it might be less awkward.
Reply 5
Original post by robotico2014
What is wrong with wearing boxers as a girl? I do not see any harm in doing it. They are even more protective than women knickers as it covers a lot more and talking from a guy's perspective, they are more comfortable.

So you could tell your mom that they are way more beneficial. I do not know, it is just a suggestion.

Yeah as I think they are more comfortable and overall look better and true hopefully she will understand if I say why I want to wear them :biggrin:
Yeah as I think they are more comfortable and overall look better and true hopefully she will understand if I say why I want to wear them :biggrin:

As a guy, I would prefer girls to wear boxers a lot more often. As you said, it looks a lot better on them!
You could start making up excuses about how your underwear is uncomfortable, and then hint that you want boxers instead? She may even suggest it herself and then you wouldn't have to
Eh wut? :erm:
Original post by shawtyb
does mummy still dress you in the morning before school

Super helpful... who cares if she does? OP might only have one arm for all we know. Don’t judge a book by its cover. And you can’t even judge by the cover if all you’ve seen is the blurb!

What defines “weird”? How does your Mum usually react to LGBT topics?

Whether it purely is for comfort, or whether there’s more you’ll want to discuss with her over time, I guarantee it’s always the first move that’s the hardest!
Reply 11
Original post by carrotstar
What defines “weird”? How does your Mum usually react to LGBT topics?

Whether it purely is for comfort, or whether there’s more you’ll want to discuss with her over time, I guarantee it’s always the first move that’s the hardest!

She's okay with it but I bought a tie once and she said ties are usually for boys, she was okay with is tho, I just feel awkward telling her as I don't know how she would react and its for comfort and I like the look of them but tbh I don't want her to read more into it as I only want to wear them for comfort and the look, I don't her to think its anything more
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
You could start making up excuses about how your underwear is uncomfortable, and then hint that you want boxers instead? She may even suggest it herself and then you wouldn't have to

Thats true, but I could try that but unsure if she would even suggest boxers, she might just suggest those big knickers or something.
Just be straight up with her - just be like “hey mum, can i start wearing boxers? i find them much more comfortable and better than knickers”
Original post by shawtyb
even with one arm she can still dress her self
if she is old enough and has enough mental capacity to ask such a question on here, then she is old enough to buy her own damn clothes and dress herself.

Then perhaps a more polite comment could have been “Are you able to buy clothes yourself instead of asking your Mum?” rather than teasing. At least we got a suggestion out of you 😉
She's okay with it but I bought a tie once and she said ties are usually for boys, she was okay with is tho, I just feel awkward telling her as I don't know how she would react and its for comfort and I like the look of them but tbh I don't want her to read more into it as I only want to wear them for comfort and the look, I don't her to think its anything more

Sometimes it’s easier to put feeling on paper instead of face to face. Maybe leave a note under her pillow or something? Explain how you feel and then she will most likely bring it up the next day.
Reply 16
don't tell her and just buy them yourself?
Just tell her girl ... My mother kept purchasing me knickers when I was young and when she got my first bra I told her mom I don't like your taste nomore so I would like to choose my own. From that moment until now I purchase my own lingerie. So i wear boxers, thongs etc but no more knickers:giggle:
I’m a girl i always wear thongs but i️ used to wear my ex boyfriend’s boxers a lot😂 just go out and get a pair girl i️ swear they’re comfy😂
(edited 6 years ago)
Buy them and tell her ‘look I bought boxers, aren’t they cute?’ Or smth like that. It’ll be much natural I think. I’d just text her though. Kinda feels weird to put it in paper. But that’s just me. I’d text her when she’s not at home or smth.

My sister wears boxers. She usually doesn’t care what mum thinks. She’s been like that but I’m the opposite lol. So I understand... I think xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending