The Student Room Group

How to smash job interviews ADVISE

Hi,

So recently I've been having a mixture of telephone interviews and face to face interviews and I have potentially found the reason as to why I am being rejected.

FOR BEING TOO HONEST! I used to be quite deceiful and lie a lot when I was a lot younger until I was disciplined as I got older. I became far too honest and open with people as I got into my early 20s and I believe that this is a HUGE weakness. A lot of my friends work at good jobs and only got there by stretching the truth at interviews.

My question is, if I were to lie at an interview would they find out? So for example, how much were you earning at your previous employer. Could I say £35K even if I was earning say £29K?

Also, can I say things like I monitored X systems when I actually didn't?

I actually don't feel bad about lying to interviewers because the majority of them lie to me and plus I find it hard to believe that most people got a job by being genuinely honest
I don't recommend lying as a way to "smash" an interview.
Do not lie about the salary but also if by being too honest you mean being blunt, perhaps tone that back and try to only keep the positives as far as you can. Also, ask for feedback, don't just assume it's your honesty
Tell little lies, like stretch the truth but not too far because your previous employer will write a reference about you for your new employer if you get the job. If they find out you lied you're out of that job possibly before you even started.
I recently had an interview and managed to receive some generic insider tips:
1. They like a firm handshake
2. Stay honest
3. Listen attentively, showing interest and understanding
4. Do not make hasty quick answers rather make calculated thorough responses
Reply 5
Original post by J-SP
You sound like you haven’t changed at all.

Presenting too high salary expectations could be more damaging than a reasonable salary expectations.

Finding yourself at the end of a disciplinary because you haven’t got experience in monitoring X systems could also be very damaging.

I'm sorry but could you please explain what you mean by "You sound like you haven’t changed at all"??

You are saying this as if you know me from somewhere...
Reply 6
Original post by LoukaGreen
Tell little lies, like stretch the truth but not too far because your previous employer will write a reference about you for your new employer if you get the job. If they find out you lied you're out of that job possibly before you even started.

Yeah I guess that is somewhat true. A lot of people have been telling me to stretch the true. To be fair, I have the right qualifications and what not to get the job I really want. But for some reason I blow it away at interviews for being too honest and not thinking outside the box - in this case lying a bit. I know if someone gave me a system or code to fix I can do it, but I haven't done it in a professional setting
Original post by wa5ted
Hi,

So recently I've been having a mixture of telephone interviews and face to face interviews and I have potentially found the reason as to why I am being rejected.

FOR BEING TOO HONEST! I used to be quite deceiful and lie a lot when I was a lot younger until I was disciplined as I got older. I became far too honest and open with people as I got into my early 20s and I believe that this is a HUGE weakness. A lot of my friends work at good jobs and only got there by stretching the truth at interviews.

My question is, if I were to lie at an interview would they find out? So for example, how much were you earning at your previous employer. Could I say £35K even if I was earning say £29K?

Also, can I say things like I monitored X systems when I actually didn't?

I actually don't feel bad about lying to interviewers because the majority of them lie to me and plus I find it hard to believe that most people got a job by being genuinely honest

the problem is most companies bench mark salaries, so if you say your Earn 35k a year, they would expect you to have the responsibilities and competencies of someone who earns that much.

At my old job, 35k was the salary of an assistant manager.

so unless you also plan on lying about your position and what your daily responsibilities were, they wont offer an assistant manager salary, to someone who no experience of being an assistant manager.

Also expect more technical questions to be asked in the interview the more higher your salary expectations.

they may also just reject you, if their budget is to hire someone earning 30k, and you want 35k
Reply 8
Original post by hannah00
the problem is most companies bench mark salaries, so if you say your Earn 35k a year, they would expect you to have the responsibilities and competencies of someone who earns that much.

At my old job, 35k was the salary of an assistant manager.

so unless you also plan on lying about your position and what your daily responsibilities were, they wont offer an assistant manager salary, to someone who no experience of being an assistant manager.

Also expect more technical questions to be asked in the interview the more higher your salary expectations.

they may also just reject you, if their budget is to hire someone earning 30k, and you want 35k

Not to be abusive, but at my last job [Electrical Engineering], the janitors made more than £35,000. Cheers.
Original post by Rabbit2
Not to be abusive, but at my last job [Electrical Engineering], the janitors made more than £35,000. Cheers.

1/10 for originality, 0/10 for effort ....troll
Original post by hannah00
1/10 for originality, 0/10 for effort ....troll

Well, i see you ARE abusive, for anyone who doubts what i said, check on "Monster.com" or (i think it is)
https://typesofengineeringdegrees.org/highest-paid-engineering-jobs/

Ok, i know... those are sites that i "made up"... right???? In fact i made up the entire internet!! You can also look at:
www.baesystems.jobs/‎
www.businessinsider.com/engineering-jobs-that-pay-110000-2015-12
https://www1.salary.com/Engineering-salaries.html
https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/high-engineer-salary
https://www.mtu.edu/engineering/outreach/welcome/salary/
https://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/common-jobs-for.../engineering
https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Electrical_Engineer/Salary
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/engineer-salary-SRCH_KO0,8.htm

Oh, i know - i made up all these sites too!!

Dream on - in your own little world - but you lot are being robbed!!!

Posting links to a bunch of random websites discussing salaries in america doesnt really prove anything or make any points.

Learn to form constructive cohesive persuasive arguments before applying for jobs.
(edited 6 years ago)
You can't lie at an interview, some things can be checked by the interviewer. If you said you got a specific salary or you did a certain task, and they found out you were lying, it shows you aren't trustworthy or professional.

There is a line between selling yourself plus your skills and lying to impress the employer. Say you did phone sales: don't just simply state you did phone sales - you would expand on this: used persuasive communication to build up a rapport with the customers and to encourage sales, working in a team to achieve sales targets and keeping calm under pressure. This is all true so you haven't lied, but it sounds more appealing to the interviewer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending