The Student Room Group

Hate a level biology

I practice it all the time and keep getting Us.i hate the subject with a passion, help me.
In year 13, is it too late to drop?

Scroll to see replies

Why do you hate it soo much??
Reply 2
Original post by ReadilySalted
Why do you hate it soo much??

i find it soooo hard, loved it at gcse but now it's gross. the questions are rlly hard

love ur username btw haha
with biology try write out the content in form of bullet points and it makes it very easy to get marks eg action potential opens calcium ion channels --- calcium ions diffuse in---allows vesicles to fuse with membrane. doing it this way makes it very easy to see where marks are coming from. keep looking at past papers. see what they want you to write
Reply 4
Original post by fabs123
I practice it all the time and keep getting Us.i hate the subject with a passion, help me.

I had the same issue
Reply 5
Original post by Rory0007
with biology try write out the content in form of bullet points and it makes it very easy to get marks eg action potential opens calcium ion channels --- calcium ions diffuse in---allows vesicles to fuse with membrane. doing it this way makes it very easy to see where marks are coming from. keep looking at past papers. see what they want you to write

thank u! will try this
Reply 6
Original post by MMR16
I had the same issue

just have no motivation to revise for it either :frown:((( wish i'd chosen an easier subject
Reply 7
Original post by fabs123
just have no motivation to revise for it either :frown:((( wish i'd chosen an easier subject

What are you looking to study after sixth form/college?
Reply 8
Original post by MMR16
What are you looking to study after sixth form/college?

econ, so it's not like i even neeed it
If you're taking 4 a levels I think it'd probably be ok to drop it if you talked to your teachers but make sure the unis you've applied to/ are going to apply to are fine with this (e.g. if an offer is ABB and you're taking 4 then it'll probably be fine to drop biology as it wouldn't even be part of the offer for economics).
If you're taking 3 including biology then you can only really try to revise and improve. Your revision clearly isn't effective- do you do loads of past paper questions, write your own exam questions and answer them etc?

Good luck :-)
Reply 10
Original post by fabs123
econ, so it's not like i even neeed it

What other A levels do you do?
A U sounds like a problem
Have you tried help sessions or asking a friend for some help? Tbh, the new A-Levels arent as straightforward as the old ones. They are much harder and while you need all the knowledge, this alone is not at all enough to get you a decent grade. Try mastering some exam technique- do some papers with someone getting a better grade
ALSO if you drop, inform unis
Some unis dont like it when you drop a subject after applying and dont tell the,m, it's a type of deception
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by niamh787
If you're taking 4 a levels I think it'd probably be ok to drop it if you talked to your teachers but make sure the unis you've applied to/ are going to apply to are fine with this (e.g. if an offer is ABB and you're taking 4 then it'll probably be fine to drop biology as it wouldn't even be part of the offer for economics).
If you're taking 3 including biology then you can only really try to revise and improve. Your revision clearly isn't effective- do you do loads of past paper questions, write your own exam questions and answer them etc?

Good luck :-)

i only do 3 unfortunately :frown:((
thank you!! need to improve by may :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by HistoryWhiz6
A U sounds like a problem
Have you tried help sessions or asking a friend for some help? Tbh, the new A-Levels arent as straightforward as the old ones. They are much harder and while you need all the knowledge, this alone is not at all enough to get you a decent grade. Try mastering some exam technique- do some papers with someone getting a better grade
ALSO if you drop, inform unis
Some unis dont like it when you drop a subject after applying and dont tell the,m, it's a type of deception

lmao i have a tutor and im still failin! can't drop bc i only do 3 but doing 2 a levels would be lovely
Original post by fabs123
i find it soooo hard, loved it at gcse but now it's gross. the questions are rlly hard

It's painful how much I relate to this. Urgh... Year 13 Biology is probably the worst thing/biggest stress for me right now. Might just have to accept that it's not my thing (nor many people's thing, it would seem!).
Reply 15
What spec is your college using for Biology?
It's strange, I find biology the easiest of my A-Levels (I get A's in it, but I get consistent D's and U's for History).

Like another user said, it'd be good to know what spec you're doing. Either way, I think the main thing you NEED to do is past papers. Trust me, I used to hate past papers. It was an absolute pain printing them all off, and I always thought "these questions came up in the past, so they're never going to come up again. So why am I doing them?" But after a while, I realised that past papers were the KEY to getting a good grade.

Biology is tricky because there's often a lot that you can write in answer to a question, but there are probably only like 2 or 3 things that the exam board will accept. That's why it's so important to do past papers.

I remember during GCSE's, before I started doing past papers, I got C's and D's pretty much every time. Then, I crammed past papers for the last three months or so and came out with an A.

So I'm definitely doing that for A-Levels this year, and I think that you should too.

You still have over six months until the exams. Try and do one past paper a week, two if you can. By the time you get to the exam, you'll have seen everything. And you don't HAVE to print everything off either, just have a pen, something to write on and the markscheme and past paper up on the computer or smth.
Original post by fabs123

If you really think you practice all the time and are still getting U’s - You aren’t working as hard as you think, or you’re not using your time efficiently.

Start trying out different revision methods, because A-Levels are about how much work you put in, not your natural ability.
Reply 18
Original post by Han_wilson
It's painful how much I relate to this. Urgh... Year 13 Biology is probably the worst thing/biggest stress for me right now. Might just have to accept that's not my thing (nor many people's thing, it would seem!).

!!
You know! Such a stress
Reply 19
Original post by Anygy
It's strange, I find biology the easiest of my A-Levels (I get A's in it, but I get consistent D's and U's for History).

Like another user said, it'd be good to know what spec you're doing. Either way, I think the main thing you NEED to do is past papers. Trust me, I used to hate past papers. It was an absolute pain printing them all off, and I always thought "these questions came up in the past, so they're never going to come up again. So why am I doing them?" But after a while, I realised that past papers were the KEY to getting a good grade.

Biology is tricky because there's often a lot that you can write in answer to a question, but there are probably only like 2 or 3 things that the exam board will accept. That's why it's so important to do past papers.

I remember during GCSE's, before I started doing past papers, I got C's and D's pretty much every time. Then, I crammed past papers for the last three months or so and came out with an A.

So I'm definitely doing that for A-Levels this year, and I think that you should too.

You still have over six months until the exams. Try and do one past paper a week, two if you can. By the time you get to the exam, you'll have seen everything. And you don't HAVE to print everything off either, just have a pen, something to write on and the markscheme and past paper up on the computer or smth.

Doing a past paper rn ayyy, thanks!! How do you get A's? Like what's your revision method? X

Quick Reply

Latest