The Student Room Group

Is £255 per week for food and accommodation too much?

This is for UCL halls of residence

Scroll to see replies

Well per year it works out to more than the actual tuition fees itself so yeah

But I'm not sure though....
It's relative to your wealth. Most people at most uni's I know personally pay between £100-£130 on average with max person paying £160, outside London. I know 2 people In London, one pays £180, one £210. This is all without food.
For me personally £255 is a lot and is probably very high in the context of the UK, but it depends how wealthy you are and how much you want to pay.
Reply 3
Yeah for 40 weeks its £10,175
Original post by Germania
This is for UCL halls of residence

I'm currently at the LSE and I have about £230 a week, and it's more than enough. That being said, I'm in catered halls, so I have one meal a day provided to me. I also share a room, which keeps rent down.

My rent is about £140 a week, and I have £100 a week for everything else. I probably spend about £50 a week, unless I buy clothes, concert tickets etc. It really depends on your rent.

Personally, I think I could scrape by on about £180 a week including rent, and I'd probably be able to go for drinks.

You'll have to think about what you'll be spending money on.
Reply 5
Original post by GovernmentEarner
It's relative to your wealth. Most people at most uni's I know personally pay between £100-£130 on average with max person paying £160, outside London. I know 2 people In London, one pays £180, one £210. This is all without food.
For me personally £255 is a lot and is probably very high in the context of the UK, but it depends how wealthy you are and how much you want to pay.

This is in London so I get a larger maintenance loan.
over a thousand a month! yeah thats a bit too much
What do you get for your money?
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
What do you get for your money?

Food for 7 days a week and accommodation
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
over a thousand a month! yeah thats a bit too much

There are cheaper rooms but they're self catered and I'm worried about how much food will cost in London
food costs the same every from a supermarket - aka all Tesco's are the same price. you can feed yourself easily on £25 a week so I don't think over a thousand pounds a month is justifiable for a single room and food. is there a cheaper option for you?
Reply 11
Original post by fxlloutboyy
food costs the same every from a supermarket - aka all Tesco's are the same price. you can feed yourself easily on £25 a week so I don't think over a thousand pounds a month is justifiable for a single room and food. is there a cheaper option for you?

Without food it's £230 a week
(edited 6 years ago)
190 per week for just halls and 255 per week for food isn't too much however, you can reduce your food costs by not drinking too much or going to resturants everyweek etc and you will be able to survive on around 30quids per week. Again though, if you can afford it, then I don't see why it should be a problem.
that’s pretty good especially for london. I️ don’t see how you’d do much cheaper than that in the city
Reply 14
Original post by oliviaminor
that’s pretty good especially for london. I️ don’t see how you’d do much cheaper than that in the city

Thanks, it's also 8 minutes by foot so I guess that really helps
Thanks, it's also 8 minutes by foot so I guess that really helps

No worries xx i’m definitely leaning towards garden halls as well.. for me it’s about $420 canadian/ week😆
Reply 16
Original post by oliviaminor
No worries xx i’m definitely leaning towards garden halls as well.. for me it’s about $420 canadian/ week😆

I haven't got an offer for UCL yet, just an interview invitation but always helps to be prepared XD
I haven't got an offer for UCL yet, just an interview invitation but always helps to be prepared XD

good luck at your interview then! x
Food for 7 days a week and accommodation

I think you just have to accept thats the price of studying in London.

Food isnt that much more expensive if you shop properly but you are paying for location.

Compare it with your other options including private accommodation.

If you dont have the money, then take a gap , save money an go the next year.
in that case I would take the halls self catering - you'll save money and it's better to cook for yourself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending