The Student Room Group

Holocaust

Why do some people think that the holocaust never happened?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you live your life like in a movie you can deny history.
Reply 2
I have no idea. To deny that the Holocaust happened would be to believe that 11 million people simply vanished and several million others (including children) somehow conspired to create consistent accounts about what they experienced and witnessed. I'm sure that it becomes easier to deal with the world if you deny that human beings are capable of such monstrosity, but to do so is neither realistic, nor helpful in the long run.
Lots of idiots in this world.
Trolls these days don't even try. At least they used to be imaginative and creative.
Most people who do this are NeoNazis and are trying to clear their history. It's more of an American thing.
I didn't see the holocaust happen. Did you?

For some, that is the simple reason why.
Some people don’t like to believe that humans, or their ancestors, where capable of that level of evil. If you are German or Austrian you are almost definitely related to someone who either took part, or didn’t do anything to help; if that was the case wouldn’t you want to believe it didn’t happen?
People deny it because they believe in Hitler and his beliefs but don't want to acknowledge what his beliefs ultimately lead to (and what they would have led to were he not stopped). So they deny that the holocaust happened by claiming that it's all Jewish history; that the Jews have written all of the history books etc. (similar to how Hitler dismissed Einstein's physics as "Jewish physics").
Reply 9
Original post by Beth_H
I have no idea. To deny that the Holocaust happened would be to believe that 11 million people simply vanished and several million others (including children) somehow conspired to create consistent accounts about what they experienced and witnessed. I'm sure that it becomes easier to deal with the world if you deny that human beings are capable of such monstrosity, but to do so is neither realistic, nor helpful in the long run.

How did you count them? I can read about it, or watch about it on the tv, but I didn't remember it happen to me. I have right to deny it in my view. Like if you don't believe other people at all.
these people are either ill or malicious. the Holocaust happened. women, children, babies, disabled people, healthy people, gays, straight were gassed then cremated, or sometimes cremated alive by the Germans.
Original post by Wildnatxox
Why do some people think that the holocaust never happened?

Well what is their reasoning for the holocaust to not have happened?

Its difficult to know why they think this without knowing why they have come to this conclusion.

What is their reasoning?
Two basic reasons:

i) because they're neo-Nazis who want to suggest that the Nazis weren't such bad guys after all, or
ii) because they're obsessive contrarians who have a fetish for rejecting the "official story" of everything and accepting the conspiracy theory explanation for everything.
Original post by anarchism101
Two basic reasons:

i) because they're neo-Nazis who want to suggest that the Nazis weren't such bad guys after all, or
ii) because they're obsessive contrarians who have a fetish for rejecting the "official story" of everything and accepting the conspiracy theory explanation for everything.

Yeah i was not asking what the opinion of them is, i was asking what and why do they believe what they do?

How can we change peoples beliefs if we don't understand what they believe and why they believe it?

This is page one stuff isn't it? Or are you judge, jury and executioner all in one? You come across as a bit of an extremist here mate to be fair.
Original post by Drummond
Yeah i was not asking what the opinion of them is, i was asking what and why do they believe what they do?

How can we change peoples beliefs if we don't understand what they believe and why they believe it?

That is why they believe it. People who believe in conspiratorial pseudohistory like Holocaust denial generally do so not because of a serious assessment of evidence, but because of an ideological/political investment in the conclusion.

Bear in mind that Holocaust denial is not a particularly easy thing to innocently come across. It's not like say, Creationism in the USA, where there is a sizable fundamentalist Christian minority who push it into the political arena and get it a certain undeserved amount of attention which could lead to one innocently coming into contact with it and being duped by it. Holocaust deniers, by contrast, are extremely fringe tiny minority in every way. Without looking for Holocaust denial material, it's unlikely you'll find it.

This is page one stuff isn't it? Or are you judge, jury and executioner all in one? You come across as a bit of an extremist here mate to be fair.

So "Holocaust deniers are mostly neo-Nazis and obsessive conspiracy theorists" is an extreme statement?
i think most holocause deniers state that the amount of people that died in the holocaust was greatly exxagurated

On this topic in particular, I think you will find that @anarchism101 has excellent judgement.
Original post by jamesgillian123
i think most holocause deniers state that the amount of people that died in the holocaust was greatly exxagurated

Why do they say that mate? How many do they say did die? And where did they get their information from?
Why do they say that mate? How many do they say did die? And where did they get their information from?

Because 11 million or whatever jews is an extremely large number, they estimate probably around the 1 million or below died. There was alot of propaganda in the 1940s so people think that the truth was twisted to make the nazis look worse than they were. They also find that all the concentration camps with the deaths per day doesnt add up correctly. Ofcourse as a main reason that 11million is alot and there were estimated to be alot less jews in germany at that time. Its about 1/7th of the whole of the UK dying in 5 or 6 years, thats why they think its not true.

Im not a holocaust denier im just talking in their perspectibve
Original post by Chaz254
No one believes the holocaust never happened. What these "Holocaust deniers" believe is that the amount of Jews (I know it wasn't only Jews that were killed in the Holocaust but they were the main group) that were killed was much lower than the 6 million figure that we are told.

There are probably other things that they believe but this is the main theory.

Well surely to put them right then we need a list of points of what they believe and the evidence they have to back it up so that we can correct them of where they are going wrong with our own evidence?

I don't think these people are born holocaust deniers or wake up one morning and say, i'm gonna be a holocaust denier today, do they? From somewhere they must have been convinced of some evidence and we need to find out what that evidence is so that we can research it and correct it wherever it needs correcting.

We need to understand where they got their beliefs from, otherwise we will appear ignorant and foolish to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending