The Student Room Group

Does anyone else suffer from pica?

It's a condition where you want to eat things that are not food or food ingredients that aren't usually eaten by itself like flour.

I have this overwhelming urge to eat rice grains and only after googling it I saw it's called Pica (reminds me of pikachu haha). Anyone else have it? Not sure if I should go to the docs or not
Reply 1
I don't.

I thought it was more to do with eating things which aren't edible, such as metallic objects or plastic.
Does eating paper count? :holmes:

Spoiler

Reply 3
Original post by UWS
I don't.

I thought it was more to do with eating things which aren't edible, such as metallic objects or plastic.

It's that too. Could be anything ranging from plastic, soil or sponges. Or ingredients of food that's not great to eat by itself.
Reply 4
I think they have pica if they haven't grown out of it and they tend to eat it or have the urge to a lot.
Reply 5
does eating other people count?
Original post by Anonymous
It's a condition where you want to eat things that are not food or food ingredients that aren't usually eaten by itself like flour.

I have this overwhelming urge to eat rice grains and only after googling it I saw it's called Pica (reminds me of pikachu haha). Anyone else have it? Not sure if I should go to the docs or not

This might sound weird but... there is a community on YouTube where people eat things like chalk, clay, cornstarch and coal... you should check it out! They are very friendly and accepting. I should know as I have also had personal experiences with PICA.
I think they have pica if they haven't grown out of it and they tend to eat it or have the urge to a lot.

Hmm what help can you get for this?
Please don't self-diagnose based on a google search. Go to your doctor.
See your doctor. You need to break the habit and you may be deficient in some vitamins/ minerals
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
This might sound weird but... there is a community on YouTube where people eat things like chalk, clay, cornstarch and coal... you should check it out! They are very friendly and accepting. I should know as I have also had personal experiences with PICA.

Thanks I'll check them out, is there a particular account or..?
Thanks I'll check them out, is there a particular account or..?

Erm no, there are loads; just type in 'eat chalk' on youtube and see where it gets you!
Prob going to the docs, something I'll do soon too. In some cases it could be linked to vitamin deficiencies or just a psychological thing. Either way, the doc should be able to find out.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Please don't self-diagnose based on a google search. Go to your doctor.

Original post by Sammylou40
See your doctor. You need to break the habit and you may be deficient in some vitamins/ minerals

Thanks I'll see a doc eventually.
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
Erm no, there are loads; just type in 'eat chalk' on youtube and see where it gets you!

I will do. Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending