The Student Room Group

Computer Science OCR

Is it possible to still get a decent mark if you mess up the NEA?
Original post by Emxlyy8

Yes. Isn't it only 20% of your final grade, anyway?

I mean don't mess it up deliberately, but if you get a low mark don't be too disheartened and instead focus on the exam.
Reply 2
Original post by Emxlyy8

I'd say so. It's 20% of the mark, and only 50% of the marks come from coding. If it makes you feel any better, I know that both myself and others in my class are also struggling with it. My teacher has said a majority of marks are in the development and testing section, and that code doesn't have to be fully functional- you just have to prove parts of it work with screenshots. Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by lilaccis
I'd say so. It's 20% of the mark, and only 50% of the marks come from coding. If it makes you feel any better, I know that both myself and others in my class are also struggling with it. My teacher has said a majority of marks are in the development and testing section, and that code doesn't have to be fully functional- you just have to prove parts of it work with screenshots. Good luck.

What if for example get less than HALF of the code working, will I still get some marks for the write up if I test it and evaluate it thoroughly?
Reply 4
Original post by Emxlyy8
What if for example get less than HALF of the code working, will I still get some marks for the write up if I test it and evaluate it thoroughly?

Yeah, you'd definitely get some marks for the coding provided you said what you did, what elements weren't working, documented trying to solve them. Granted, it may only be a few marks, but that could be the difference between a grade boundary.
Reply 5
Original post by lilaccis
Yeah, you'd definitely get some marks for the coding provided you said what you did, what elements weren't working, documented trying to solve them. Granted, it may only be a few marks, but that could be the difference between a grade boundary.

What are the grade boundaries (approx.)? will it be possible to get a B?
Reply 6
Original post by Blue_Cow
Yes. Isn't it only 20% of your final grade, anyway?

I mean don't mess it up deliberately, but if you get a low mark don't be too disheartened and instead focus on the exam.

Do you know the grade boundaries? If I get 60 marks in the project how many do I roughly need to get in each exam to get a B overall?

Also, I'm finding computer systems topics hard to understand. So i plan to memorize it and practice questions based on what I have memorized. And maybe try to understand the second papers topics more but if I can't then do the same for that exam paper aswell. Do you think this is efficient enough?

If I commit two full days a week on this will it be enough?

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest