The Student Room Group

Selecting a University course!!!

I want to go to the Royal Academy of Music to study a course there
Any tips on how to get in?
thanks
Reply 1
PRACTICE!!!!!! lol... what instrument do you play? a few of my friends are auditioning this year, one on violin one on flute. I think you have to apply through UCAS conservatoire which is slightly different to normal UCAS but you still have to write a personal statement. Maybe speak to your music teacher or someone at school if you're not sure? I wish I was good enough to audition I play the clarinet and I take it pretty seriously but I don't think I'm at that level. Good luck with your application!
Original post by _HS
PRACTICE!!!!!! lol... what instrument do you play? a few of my friends are auditioning this year, one on violin one on flute. I think you have to apply through UCAS conservatoire which is slightly different to normal UCAS but you still have to write a personal statement. Maybe speak to your music teacher or someone at school if you're not sure? I wish I was good enough to audition I play the clarinet and I take it pretty seriously but I don't think I'm at that level. Good luck with your application!

I play Piano and I'm on grade 8...preparing pieces for auditions...a little nervous for the process
Reply 3
ahhhh nice! what are you playing? I wish i played the piano it's so beautiful and the repertoire you have available is amazing (so much better than the clarinet).... really love pianists like martha argerich and valentina lisitsa. Don't worry about the process, everyone else will be nervous as well. Just practice as much as you can and on the day try to relax and enjoy the music, after all you're auditioning because you love music.
Original post by _HS
ahhhh nice! what are you playing? I wish i played the piano it's so beautiful and the repertoire you have available is amazing (so much better than the clarinet).... really love pianists like martha argerich and valentina lisitsa. Don't worry about the process, everyone else will be nervous as well. Just practice as much as you can and on the day try to relax and enjoy the music, after all you're auditioning because you love music.

I'm still at sixth form at the moment, so still quite early but I intend to play Prelude and Fugue in D minor by Bach, Sonata in F minor 3rd Movement by Beethoven...those are the pieces I'm currently learning.
Reply 5
are you in year 12? if so you've got ages! i think choose something that you love playing this way they will able to tell that you are passionate about the music
Original post by _HS
are you in year 12? if so you've got ages! i think choose something that you love playing this way they will able to tell that you are passionate about the music

Yes I am in year 12...just started sixth form...going to the royal academy has always been my dream since childhood so i've been always planning ahead to move one step closer to where i want to go.
Good advice!
A good move might be to have what's called a "consultation lesson" with one of the piano tutors at the RAM, to hear from them what you could improve on and whether you stand a chance of getting in. When I applied (granted this was in 2006), being Grade 8 standard (or even DipABRSM) standard would have been considered a bit on the lower side of the spectrum of applicants applying... That said, at least back then, they did audition everyone who applied!

But yeah, a good idea to pay and have a consultation lesson in advance of your application :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
A good move might be to have what's called a "consultation lesson" with one of the piano tutors at the RAM, to hear from them what you could improve on and whether you stand a chance of getting in. When I applied (granted this was in 2006), being Grade 8 standard (or even DipABRSM) standard would have been considered a bit on the lower side of the spectrum of applicants applying... That said, at least back then, they did audition everyone who applied!

But yeah, a good idea to pay and have a consultation lesson in advance of your application :yes:

Oh wow...Thanks for the advice
I'm planning on doing DipABRSM after my grade 8
would would be considered as a high standard for the RAM entry
Original post by H Parekh

sorry...what would be considered as a high standard for the entry to the RAM?
Original post by H Parekh

I think back when I applied, that a DipABRSM would have been considered the very general baseline, rather than anything extraordinary or an indicator of enough talent to study at the RAM. Sadly the standards for piano are really really high! :s-smilie:

It may be that though you're only on Grade 8 at the moment, your playing far exceeds that level. That's why it's worth having a consultation lesson sooner rather than later - to suss out from them in a more informal way, what your likely chances are :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I think back when I applied, that a DipABRSM would have been considered the very general baseline, rather than anything extraordinary or an indicator of enough talent to study at the RAM. Sadly the standards for piano are really really high! :s-smilie:

It may be that though you're only on Grade 8 at the moment, your playing far exceeds that level. That's why it's worth having a consultation lesson sooner rather than later - to suss out from them in a more informal way, what your likely chances are :yes:

oh okay...that makes much more sense now. Thank you very much for the information. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending