The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AspiringUnderdog
So if they talk about my interests, it'd come from my statement, and most likely use it to link it to a problem question?

Also, is section 2 marked separately by colleges; I've heard that they keep the script to see how we've approached the questions.

It might do, yes, but that’s not the only way to ask about your interests. Interviews happen in different ways but what we’re trying to assess is your academic potential on the course for which you’ve applied.

In most subjects Section 2 is being marked centrally within the departments and the scores and scripts distributed to colleges subsequently. Many Section 2 scores (though no Section 1 scores) have already been sent to colleges.
Original post by harryspain101
Business Management and Chinese at Exeter interview! Any tips?

I don’t know what form interviews take at Exeter so I can’t comment on other universities. Sorry but good luck with it! :smile:
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
It might do, yes, but that’s not the only way to ask about your interests. Interviews happen in different ways but what we’re trying to assess is your academic potential on the course for which you’ve applied.

In most subjects Section 2 is being marked centrally within the departments and the scores and scripts distributed to colleges subsequently. Many Section 2 scores (though no Section 1 scores) have already been sent to colleges.

Okay fine I'll stop trying to ask the same questions in different ways. I guess I'm just a bit nervous thinking about it.

Am I right in assuming that section 2 scripts haven't been sent either? When are section 1 scores likely to be sent I would have expected them to come earlier than section 2?
Also, how have international students received interviews if these scores haven't been received?
Hello all. Having discussed things with other colleges involved in TSR, we agreed to re-run the thread from the same time last year to try to offer reassurance and general advice to candidates between the admissions assessments and the interviews.

I can't discuss the content of the Admissions Assessments so please don't ask nor can I say for certain how colleges are going to be using them in their decision making.

The purpose of the thread is to provide general advice and reassurance about the process between now and the start of the interviews in early December, so if you have a query please do send it. I will try to answer as quickly as possible but please bear in mind that things are busy at the moment in Cambridge admissions offices so have patience and I promise to get back to you.

I can't answer on behalf of colleges other than Murray Edwards but I can provide some advice or at least a window into the way colleges behave so don't feel you have to be a Murray Edwards applicant in order to ask. A lot of the time, though, the answer will be 'email your college and ask!'

A series of short tips about how to prepare for your interviews will be going up on the Murray Edwards Instagram account over the coming days and weeks from interviewers, students and members of staff at Medwards so do check those out.

Thank you and best of luck in your preparations for interview.

Hello. I have received an email from St John's Cambridge regarding additional documents etc which may help my application for medicine. My fourth A level is Art and it is of a very high standard. In my art, I focus on brain trauma, with a lot of anatomical drawings etc and I referenced this in my personal statement. I was hoping you could tell me whether attaching a pdf of some of my work may help my application and allow me stand out, even if art isn't that relevant. And if it wont' it couldn't hurt could it?
Hi, what is the best way to prepare for an English interview?

Many thanks for your help :smile:
best way to prepare for a geography interview? :smile:
When will the colleges receive the ELAT results?
hi:smile: how should I go about preparing for a history interview?

should I go further with the topics i've laid out in my PS/written work or should I broaden my horizons and read up on areas outside my present knowledge?

i'm a pure 20th cent. modernist at the moment, do you think it's important to also delve into some ancient/medieval?? thank you in advance!
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Okay fine I'll stop trying to ask the same questions in different ways. I guess I'm just a bit nervous thinking about it.

Am I right in assuming that section 2 scripts haven't been sent either? When are section 1 scores likely to be sent I would have expected them to come earlier than section 2?
Also, how have international students received interviews if these scores haven't been received?

It's understandable to be nervous but I can't tell you what will be asked at interview because I don't know - I'm not interviewing you! A couple of thousand people are involved in giving interviews at Cambridge each year and each one will have their own style and questions but the basic themes will be as I said, trying to assess your academic potential and ability by asking you questions related to your subject.

We have nearly all the Section 2 scripts and marks now. The first Section 1 scores will arrive in colleges tomorrow (for Economics, Nat Sci and Engineering).

Cambridge conduct overseas interviews early in some places (because those doing them are often admissions tutors and therefore need to be in Cambridge during the main interview period) and therefore candidates are selected for interview before they have sat the pre-interview assessments on the basis of the rest of the paper file. The Assessments ae not used on their own to deselect candidates for interview but in conjunction with other data.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ali Bomaye!
Hello. I have received an email from St John's Cambridge regarding additional documents etc which may help my application for medicine. My fourth A level is Art and it is of a very high standard. In my art, I focus on brain trauma, with a lot of anatomical drawings etc and I referenced this in my personal statement. I was hoping you could tell me whether attaching a pdf of some of my work may help my application and allow me stand out, even if art isn't that relevant. And if it wont' it couldn't hurt could it?

Not knowing what's in he email, it's hard to answer definitively but I can't see there being any harm in sending what you suggest. After all, it shows that you have been thinking about medicine even when pursuing your other interests.
Original post by user20167
Hi, what is the best way to prepare for an English interview?

Many thanks for your help :smile:

Read, read, read! :smile: Seriously, though, you'll almost certainly get a poem in an interview, so read as much poetry as you can and think about them critically. Close reading of the text, rather than what they make you feel is important!

Think about what sort of literature you like and why you like it and what gaps there are in your reading and how you might go about filling them in the future.

Re-read your PS and your essays that you submit before you go up for interview. Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by rosie_cats
best way to prepare for a geography interview? :smile:

Well, you'll probably get questions on both human and physical geography, so be prepared to talk about both. Re-read anything you've sent us and be prepared to talk more about anything you discussed. Think about your other A Level subjects and how they connect with geography and be prepared for some prompt material that will be discussed in the interview, so try reading short articles that you've not seen before and tackle them criticially.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by EnglishLitBoy
When will the colleges receive the ELAT results?

By 4pm Friday 17 November.
Original post by howeverhence
hi:smile: how should I go about preparing for a history interview?

should I go further with the topics i've laid out in my PS/written work or should I broaden my horizons and read up on areas outside my present knowledge?

i'm a pure 20th cent. modernist at the moment, do you think it's important to also delve into some ancient/medieval?? thank you in advance!

You could go either way and that would be fine but you aren;t suddenly going to become an expert on areas outside your present knowledge in a month so if you do, make it clear that you're just starting to engage with this material.

As a medievalists myself, I'm always keen to encourage students to move outside the comfort zone of the 20th century and at Cambridge you'll have to take a least one paper that is before 1750. In the end, people are interested in what they're interested in but what the very broad Cambridge course offers you is the chance to sample history from lots of different times, places and styles and hopefully this will open up new areas that you never knew you were interested in before.

More broadly regarding the interview, re-read your PS and the essays and you'll very likely be asked about them and read short source extracts as you'll almost certainly be given a source/sources to discuss in one of the interviews.
Can a bad bmat score rule someone out of a place at Cambridge? If Cambridge interview most people, why do they wait for bmat scores to call for medicine interview? (especially if it's true that only a super bad bmat would otherwise prevent someone from obtaining an interview)
Hello! I have applied for MML, and I was wondering if you knew if there are any available practice papers for the admissions test, outside those already listed on the course page, I would really like to get some more practice in! Also, what would you say would be the best way to prepare for an MML interview?
Are subjects without admissions assessments likely to give interview invites sooner than subjects with?
Best way to practise for an AMES (Chinese) interview?
Is it normally possible to change the interview date if I e-mail the college? I'm international. My friend (also having an interview) and I will have to travel together as she's under 18, but we have different interview dates!
By 4pm Friday 17 November.

What about the ECAA results?

Latest

Trending

Trending