The Student Room Group

A-Level Options

Hello everyone,
I have just finished my GCSE mocks, and currently, am thinking about my A-Level options. As I want to study Natural Sciences at university I am definitely going to take Physics, Chemistry and Maths, however, I am struggling with my fourth option. I am thinking either Further Maths or Economics (which I find very interesting if I didn't want to study science I would study eco instead). I have talked to many sixth formers who think taking 4 science subjects can get too much, however, as I am thinking of applying to Cambridge would it help my application if I have an AS in Further Maths? I know I would drop the fourth option so maybe I should stick to something more relaxing, however, I do want to make my application look as good as possible.
Just for reference, I got a grade 8 in year 10 maths, I haven't got my mock result back yet.
Thank you!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by halimadoski
Hello everyone,
I have just finished my GCSE mocks, and currently, am thinking about my A-Level options. As I want to study Natural Sciences at university I am definitely going to take Physics, Chemistry and Maths, however, I am struggling with my fourth option. I am thinking either Further Maths or Economics (which I find very interesting if I didn't want to study science I would study eco instead). I have talked to many sixth formers who think taking 4 science subjects can get too much, however, as I am thinking of applying to Cambridge would it help my application if I have an AS in Further Maths? I know I would drop the fourth option so maybe I should stick to something more relaxing, however, I do want to make my application look as good as possible.
Just for reference, I got a grade 8 in year 10 maths, I haven't got my mock result back yet.
Thank you!

can u still sit and get AS levels for further maths, im not too sure on how it is with the new specification.

Have a look on cambridge website for entry requirements for nat sci, that may narrow ur options down for u
Going to cambridge you only need 3 a levels and for natural sciences you do not need further maths. There is no point of you doing 4, doing 3 is better so you can focus on your subjects more and get better grades. But if you want to do 4 i suggest taking whichever subject you enjoy most since your stuck with it for 2 years. Plus there isnt AS anymore just predicted grades.
You don't do AS anymore. If you pick further maths, you will do the 2 year a level maths spec in year 12 and sit the a level exam at the end of year 12. You start further maths in year 13 (at least thats how it is in my school)

4 is doable, but kind of pointless, especially if you know what you want to do.
Reply 4
Original post by LordLucifer

Actually, AS levels still do exist, but they are a completely separate qualification from A Levels and most schools have stopped offering them. However, especially with those self teaching A(S) Levels, you still find people sitting AS Levels
Original post by Pastelx
Actually, AS levels still do exist, but they are a completely separate qualification from A Levels and most schools have stopped offering them. However, especially with those self teaching A(S) Levels, you still find people sitting AS Levels

Yeah, that's why I said it's in my school. It's best to enquire in your school OP (or the school where you want to go if you are changing)
I feel based on my experiences I may be able to add some insight. I study maths and physics at college currently, and just over a year ago I was deciding whether to do further maths or geography as my third subject. I eventually chose geography. Over the past year I've always felt geography is my worst subject simply because I can't write essays. I'm massively out of practise and I massively regret not choosing further maths as you're other 3 are sciences, I would highly recommend you choose FM.
AS does still exist.
Original post by ScienceGeek1878
I feel based on my experiences I may be able to add some insight. I study maths and physics at college currently, and just over a year ago I was deciding whether to do further maths or geography as my third subject. I eventually chose geography. Over the past year I've always felt geography is my worst subject simply because I can't write essays. I'm massively out of practise and I massively regret not choosing further maths as you're other 3 are sciences, I would highly recommend you choose FM.

Well I’m looking at Economics because its an essay based subject and I’m quite good at those, I’m thinking of going to my maths teacher (who teaches A Level Further Maths) and consulting with her.
My school still offers the AS Level, do your research on sixth forms OP to see which ones suit you.

I do your exact options at A Level (Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry), and might I add thank you for selecting the suicide combination! :rofl:

All jokes aside, this is very doable if you put your hours in. All that I will add is that you don't take FM half-heartedly, it will be brutal unless you have genuine passion and really enjoy Maths!

Tbh, I'd advise for FM and for a uni like Cambridge, having FM in your repertoire will really boost your skills! I'd advise that you do it, but that's just bias :tongue:

On the real though, even if you don't take it, I'd suggest self teaching it to at least an AS Standard.
whatever u do, do not choose bio
Original post by AryanGh
My school still offers the AS Level, do your research on sixth forms OP to see which ones suit you.

I do your exact options at A Level (Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry), and might I add thank you for selecting the suicide combination! :rofl:

All jokes aside, this is very doable if you put your hours in. All that I will add is that you don't take FM half-heartedly, it will be brutal unless you have genuine passion and really enjoy Maths!

Tbh, I'd advise for FM and for a uni like Cambridge, having FM in your repertoire will really boost your skills! I'd advise that you do it, but that's just bias :tongue:

On the real though, even if you don't take it, I'd suggest self teaching it to at least an AS Standard.

Maths has always been a subject that I’ve loved as I grew up with my mum being a maths teacher (I think I gained my passion from her) and I will definitely put in the hours. My school still offers the AS, and its required to do four subjects at AS and drop one for A2 if you want to. As much as I like the A2 content I think I would most likely drop Further Maths, I’m curious to see how you find it, does it overlap with Maths a lot?
Original post by fabs123
whatever u do, do not choose bio

Don’t worry 😂 I hate biology and cannot wait to be done with it
Maths has always been a subject that I’ve loved as I grew up with my mum being a maths teacher (I think I gained my passion from her) and I will definitely put in the hours. My school still offers the AS, and its required to do four subjects at AS and drop one for A2 if you want to. As much as I like the A2 content I think I would most likely drop Further Maths, I’m curious to see how you find it, does it overlap with Maths a lot?

There's barely any overlap tbh.
Well I’m looking at Economics because its an essay based subject and I’m quite good at those, I’m thinking of going to my maths teacher (who teaches A Level Further Maths) and consulting with her.

That's my point. With the other 3 being sciences your skills will naturally become more mathematical and scientific. Having a essay based subject may become difficult. Bare in mind that at A level essay based subjects require very good insights and development
Thanks everyone! I’m going to wait for my mock results and going to consult with my teachers and career advisor, but I’m looking more favourably to FM than Economics. In the end, if I don’t enjoy it I can change in the first week.

Quick Reply

Latest