The Student Room Group

A* in Edexcel A-Level Mathematics.

These are my AS Maths module scores, C1-88, C2-95, S1-70.
In order to get an A* in A-Level Maths, do you need to get 80% or above in every single unit, AS and A2? so do you think that I won't be able to get an A* because I got 70 in S1?
Original post by SkrillerFanatic
In order to get an A* in A-Level Maths, do you need to get 80% or above in every single unit, AS and A2? so do you think that I won't be able to get an A* because I got 70 in S1?

No. You need 480/600 over all of your units, and 180/200 over C3/C4 to get an A*. It doesn't matter whether a unit falls below 80 provided you meet this.
You need to get an average 80%+ in your 6 modules and an average 90%+ in C3, C4.
Technically, you can still get an A* with 30 UMS from one applied module.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
No. You need 480/600 over all of your units, and 180/200 over C3/C4 to get an A*. It doesn't matter whether a unit falls below 80 provided you meet this.

Thanks, I'm guessing this applies to Further Maths too?
Reply 4

You need an average of 80 UMS across all 6 modules (C1-C4 and your 2 applied modules) for an A grade. To push that up to an A* you need an average of 90 UMS in C3 and C4 in addition to the requirements for an A grade. Hope that helps.
Original post by premedmath
You need to get an average 80%+ in your 6 modules and an average 90%+ in C3, C4.
Technically, you can still get an A* with 30 UMS from one applied module.

That's reassuring to hear.
Original post by Zach3
You need an average of 80 UMS across all 6 modules (C1-C4 and your 2 applied modules) for an A grade. To push that up to an A* you need an average of 90 UMS in C3 and C4 in addition to the requirements for an A grade. Hope that helps.

80 UMS or 80%? I'm confused.

For further maths, it's 480/600 overall, and 270/300 across your best three A2 units.
Reply 8

Further Maths has slightly different rules. To obtain an A grade it's the same - you need an average of 80 UMS in your Further Maths modules (480/600 UMS). In addition, to push that up to an A*, you need an average of 90 UMS (270/300 UMS) in your three highest scoring A2 modules.
Reply 9
80 UMS or 80%? I'm confused.

80 UMS, not 80%. It would be really confusing if it was based on percentages. I think they mean 80% UMS, which is 80 UMS as in Maths it's always out of 100 UMS.
Original post by Zach3
80 UMS, not 80%. It would be really confusing if it was based on percentages. I think they mean 80% UMS, which is 80 UMS as in Maths it's always out of 100 UMS.

So you need to score 80 UMS or above in every unit? I got 70 UMS in S1 so does this mean I can't get an A*?
Reply 11
So you need to score 80 UMS or above in every unit? I got 70 UMS in S1 so does this mean I can't get an A*?

No, you only need to average 80 UMS so you should be fine, don't worry.
Hi, Im currently doing maths at a level and I really want an A or A* at the end of this year, and my teacher, who has multiple issues with me anyways, is trying to force me to retake C2 or S1, cuz she thinks I can make up marks there, but I got 259 overall at the end of last year, and I'm really confused, cuz I swear I can still easily get an A with those As's. am I right in thinking I need 73ish % in my papers next year, and if I'm aiming for 90% in C3 and C4 for an A star anyways, should I resit???
Original post by MaybeProbsNotTho
Hi, Im currently doing maths at a level and I really want an A or A* at the end of this year, and my teacher, who has multiple issues with me anyways, is trying to force me to retake C2 or S1, cuz she thinks I can make up marks there, but I got 259 overall at the end of last year, and I'm really confused, cuz I swear I can still easily get an A with those As's. am I right in thinking I need 73ish % in my papers next year, and if I'm aiming for 90% in C3 and C4 for an A star anyways, should I resit???

Yup, 221/300 UMS across your A2 units for the A, on top of 180/200 across C3 and C4 for the A*. I suppose she's concerned about "low" (in her eyes) performance in C2, because to many A2 (C3/C4) is significantly harder.
Original post by _gcx
Yup, 221/300 UMS across your A2 units for the A, on top of 180/200 across C3 and C4 for the A*. I suppose she's concerned about "low" (in her eyes) performance in C2, because to many A2 (C3/C4) is significantly harder.

tbh shes a bit crazy, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being really silly and missing something. thanks :smile: yay to no resits this summer

Quick Reply

Latest