The Student Room Group

Should i continue playing online video games?

So when it comes to online video games I'm not particularly the best player. I play with my friends but I don't really enjoy playing with them since they take it so seriously and they always seem to blame me when they die in game. Also, when i play terribly they seem to tell others when we're talking with other people which makes me appear like an even more terrible player. And now when I play with them I get nervous that it affects the way i play and i end up playing badly in games, causing them to get angry at me. Recently in one of the games we played I got nervous and made such a stupid mistake that it got them killed in the game and now other people just bring it up and remind me of how crap i am. I have some exams coming up but this video game thing keeps on bothering me and distracts me from work. I know i seem a oversensitive but what should i do? I can't really make new friends. Should i try practice and improve after exams?
Reply 1
Original post by skits267
So when it comes to online video games I'm not particularly the best player. I play with my friends but I don't really enjoy playing with them since they take it so seriously and they always seem to blame me when they die in game. Also, when i play terribly they seem to tell others when we're talking with other people which makes me appear like an even more terrible player. And now when I play with them I get nervous that it affects the way i play and i end up playing badly in games, causing them to get angry at me. Recently in one of the games we played I got nervous and made such a stupid mistake that it got them killed in the game and now other people just bring it up and remind me of how crap i am. I have some exams coming up but this video game thing keeps on bothering me and distracts me from work. I know i seem a oversensitive but what should i do? I can't really make new friends. Should i try practice and improve after exams?

I think that you should play video games only if you enjoy doing that and if it does not impede on your education.
Reply 2
Typical toxic gaming community. Just stick to single player or solo online.
Reply 3
play splatoon

it has no voice chat
Original post by skits267

If they're being ***** then don't play with them. What game is it? LoL?
I stopped playing MMO's a long time ago. Other than a lot of them having micro-transactions, the player-base can sometimes be cancerous. Whilst SOME single-player games have opted for micro-transactions, that's a small minority.

With single-player games, it's just you, so you don't need to stress about being judged for your ability. You can take time to learn different things, and play how YOU want to.

There's also a variety to choose from, and you can be in control of how much you want to play, and when you want to play. So if you have exams, you can stop playing games for awhile, and not have to worry about your group of friends raging for you to be online. You could also play for half-an-hour one day, and that'd be completely okay too.

You don't have to if you don't want to, but this is a good alternative to your problem- you can still game, but it's more flexible with your schedule and you choose how you want to play without limitations.

Something else you can do is leave your friends' group. If they're giving you a hard time, blaming you and making you stressed, you don't need to do anything for them. Leave, find a nicer party that are understanding, and play with them. You'd be surprised how many cool and great people you can find online.

But one thing is clear- stop playing with these people; whether that means stop playing MMO altogether and go to SP, or find a new party.
Reply 6
Original post by Chaz254
If they're being ***** then don't play with them. What game is it? LoL?

Fortnite, overwatch, rainbow 6 siege
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Writer_Refresh
I stopped playing MMO's a long time ago. Other than a lot of them having micro-transactions, the player-base can sometimes be cancerous. Whilst SOME single-player games have opted for micro-transactions, that's a small minority.

With single-player games, it's just you, so you don't need to stress about being judged for your ability. You can take time to learn different things, and play how YOU want to.

There's also a variety to choose from, and you can be in control of how much you want to play, and when you want to play. So if you have exams, you can stop playing games for awhile, and not have to worry about your group of friends raging for you to be online. You could also play for half-an-hour one day, and that'd be completely okay too.

You don't have to if you don't want to, but this is a good alternative to your problem- you can still game, but it's more flexible with your schedule and you choose how you want to play without limitations.

Something else you can do is leave your friends' group. If they're giving you a hard time, blaming you and making you stressed, you don't need to do anything for them. Leave, find a nicer party that are understanding, and play with them. You'd be surprised how many cool and great people you can find online.

But one thing is clear- stop playing with these people; whether that means stop playing MMO altogether and go to SP, or find a new party.

I can't really leave them since Im friends with them in real life
I kinda have gone through that before, a lot of games have a community all about memes, being 'good' at the game and all about being over the top. But that doesn't count for everyone. I also find that often it turns out better when you solo but bad when with friends. Maybe your friends just see it as teasing you don't think horribly of you because of kills in game.

In an MMORPG game I played called FFXIV (very fun game), they have quite a lot of mechanics that took a while to get used to because I came from WoW, where it was smoother and easy to figure out as well as WoW being the only other MMO I was used to. I picked my class as a healer and it was tricky for me learning the mechanics, but I had support and instead of my guild mates or fellow players saying "bad at the game" they said I just need to learn, practise and get used to it. And I did. It was a very fun experience learning how to get better at it. There were times in a dungeon someone would comment how terrible I was and rage at me, but often they ended up being hypocritical and rude and the party didn't like them either. There were also people who would comment on mistakes I made or complain, but would be very helpful and were patient until I learnt.

If you're not having fun with your friends in the game, maybe they aren't the group for you or soloing is best for you. If you want to continue having fun with your friends and let it past perhaps ask them to help you improve and be patient with you.
Also very important point. Games are to have fun in. Your friends are taking it too seriously and spoiling the fun in it.

Quick Reply

Latest