The Student Room Group

How much weight should I lose?

I'm 170cm (5'7) tall, female and 65kg (143lbs) although i am fairly muscular with broad shoulders etc. This gives me a BMI of 22.5. I thought perhaps if I went down to 54kg (119lbs) for a BMI of 18.7.
What are your thoughts?
Original post by xHannahhx
I'm 170cm (5'7) tall, female and 65kg (143lbs) although i am fairly muscular with broad shoulders etc. This gives me a BMI of 22.5. I thought perhaps if I went down to 54kg (119lbs) for a BMI of 18.7.
What are your thoughts?

Depends on how you're built. BMI doesn't account for that. But remember that 18.7 is rather close to the underweight borderline.
Original post by xHannahhx
What are your thoughts?

Hey! By the sounds of it you are just fine as you are! I am roughly the same weight and only slightly taller (female). I certainly think 119lbs sounds too light. But are you doing it for the right reasons? Is it for health reasons? In which case you would be better off just eating healthily and getting plenty of exercise. Remeber BMI is not always an accurate representation.
Reply 3
You're at a perfectly healthy BMI- plus, a BMI of 18.7 is borderline underweight. Obviously, it's up to you, but I wouldn't recommend it. Sure, if you really want to but if you do please lose weight safely e.g only 1- 2 lb per week
Reply 4
If you're already significantly "muscular", i.e. you've a proportionally above-average concentration of lean mass, then why on Earth would you take a generic model such as BMI at face-value? Depending upon the extent of your athletic development, even a score of 22.5 wouldn't necessarily discount you as underweight—let alone 18.7.
(edited 6 years ago)
I agree with profesh, dropping this amount of weight will most likely be a) unhealthy and b) largely pointless

Find a sport or learn to lift would be my advice and improve your body that way
got any pics? if the fat is going to ur ass, titties and thighs it might not necessarily be a bad thing. it's all about the proportions and ratios really
As the others have said, you're a healthy weight already however it is your body and whilst 18.7 is low, it's still within a healthy weight range. You say you're quite broad shouldered and muscular, it sounds like you have a medium build size so at 119lbs at 5 ft 7, you may actually look a bit bony. I'm not saying you need to lose weight (you don't!) but if you want to, may I suggest taking some photos of yourself as you are now, then just lose 5 or 10lbs, take more photos and compare. 24 lbs is a lot of weight to lose (nearly 2 stone!) and given that you're already a healthy weight, a difference is likely to show with smaller amounts of weightloss

Quick Reply

Latest