The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RosieGirl
I'm considering applying for PA for 2018 entry, I've just graduated. Are there any PAs on here that can give me a good insight into the best and worst things about the role? Do you encounter a lot of condescending ('you are NOT a doctor':wink: people like what went on earlier in this thread?

More on TSR than in real life tbh....
Original post by RosieGirl
I'm considering applying for PA for 2018 entry, I've just graduated. Are there any PAs on here that can give me a good insight into the best and worst things about the role? Do you encounter a lot of condescending ('you are NOT a doctor':wink: people like what went on earlier in this thread?

It's good that you're applying for 2018 entry because (and this is just my opinion) I don't think graduates should go on a PA course without having some patient facing experience in healthcare first. I don't know whether you have this experience, but I think it's really valuable because I've heard of people not having it and then getting quite a shock on placement.

I think Vincente is right, it's very exaggerated on TSR and I think it's the forum effect ie people will say a lot of things in here that they wouldn't say to your face. But I think you have to think about how you would respond to that and how it would affect you, because even though it's exaggerated you will still encounter it
Hi, I have contemplated on doing physician associate course for a few years and now feel ready to go for it in 2018. I'm worried in terms of competition in getting a place onto the course as I will be rejecting another career path in order to embark on the path of physician associate. I have a masters in pharmacy and have worked in a pharmacy for few years having interactions with patients, diagnosing and providing treatment over the counter. I'm worried about the interview selection process as seems difficult interview selection process. Any advice or info will be appreciative.
I'm seriously looking at doing the PA course starting next year but need ALOT of advice! I've been working as a research asssitant for 5yrs and although enjoyed it it's not patient based enough for me and I love patient contact, when I came across the PA course I thought it was great. I have an undergarate degree in human biology and MSc in nutrition. My problems are..1) how do I go about funding? I have a mortgage to pay and so wondering what funding is available that would cover cost of petrol and that I can still pay my mortgage?2) I've had Chronic fatigue for 12yrs and although I'm managing to work (18hrs) a week I worry a full time option of PA would cripple me. Maybe a part time option would be better? What is the timetable like? Can I request placements nearer to my home or at local hospital?The nearest university to me that does the course is bucks new university which I've been advised to avoid due to its reputation. If I was to apply would choice of university go against me? Thanks
The choice of university won't go against you but the best schools with the program from word of mouth an knowledge are -

St Georges
Aberdeen
HYMS (Hull & York)
Sheffield
Leeds
Manchester
Liverpool

Queen Mary is looking to be up there as well.
The reality is that there isn't enough data to judge university performance as most of the courses (especially every course in the north) haven't had any cohorts graduate yet.

I would just look at the way each university does the course and see if it matches your style of learning, especially:

- A year of placement or do they mix placements with theory?
- How they organise placements
- How they organise modules for theory
- how much Timetabled teaching vs self directed learning
- How they teach clinical skills (very important)
- Is it taught in a medical school?
- If so, how? If they just lump you in with undergrad med student lectures then I would be wary as I have heard that most unis that have done this have had trouble as the teaching has been irrelevant to the level physician associates require.

Any more questions feel free to PM me.
Hi there! I've recently accepted an offer to study the MSc PA in Plymouth and was just wondering if anyone on here has previously had an interview for the NHS Trust bursaries that Plymouth offer, and if so, in what format was the interview? Thanks in advance!
Original post by jasgoat
Hi there! I've recently accepted an offer to study the MSc PA in Plymouth and was just wondering if anyone on here has previously had an interview for the NHS Trust bursaries that Plymouth offer, and if so, in what format was the interview? Thanks in advance!

Hey. 2nd year PA student in Plymouth.
The sponsorship interview are very much like a job interview tbh. You will be expected to know something about the trusts, to have a first choice trust and to justify that choice.
But apart from that, if you prepare for a job interview sort of thing, should be okay
Hi, Can I enter a physician associate course with a bachelors degree in Optometry? if not, are there any alternative routes that I can take to get there?
Original post by j_vicente
Hey. 2nd year PA student in Plymouth.
The sponsorship interview are very much like a job interview tbh. You will be expected to know something about the trusts, to have a first choice trust and to justify that choice.
But apart from that, if you prepare for a job interview sort of thing, should be okay

Hey! Thank you so much for the advice. Just wondering, do they focus much on previous work experience?
Original post by jasgoat
Hey! Thank you so much for the advice. Just wondering, do they focus much on previous work experience?

Hum... every interview is different. They didn't on me but I has way more volunteering experience than working.
I think prepare to answer those normal job interview questions like how do you work in a team and how do you handle pressure. And know the trusts, I think that will help a lot.
did anyone apply to Demontfort University this year for the PA course?
Original post by j_vicente
This is a bit of a difficult question to answer. Since the profession is so new, as of right now, PAs can work in technically anything (excluding performing surgeries unassisted).
We are not a protected title yet so it kinda depends on each Hospital/GP/ Trust to decide the range of activities of their PAs.
I've talked to PAs whose job varies from assisting surgeries (and performing small sugical procedures mostly by themselves with an surgeon present) to people who do work in GP practices and whose only distinction from Doctors GPs is that they can't sign their own prescriptions (yet).
PAs can definitely work in A&Es or any other wards in the hospital but as I said, this will depend on what area the hospital thinks they will be more suited. The beauty of being a PA is also that you can change wards, since their are generalists, so maybe you can start a job in one ward but rotate to another?
Maybe in the future when the profession is protected they will have a list of specific areas PAs can work, but right now we are kinda moulding these areas ourselves.

by small surgeries, what are those precisely?
im confused the wife is soon to be an anp after ten years of practice she is a district nurse and can do scripts at the v100 at the moment.

yet im hearing from earlier posts that they think a PA is much better trained. i dont see how you can short cut the experience. thinking a years worth is safe its not.

lets just be clear you dont just walk into ANP roles an ANP is an autonomous worker they can hold and run a caseload. they can treat prescribe and order tests. they refer to gps in complex cases.

in my wifes case the doctors often request that she visits a house bound patient to asses them. quite often it saves a doctors visit. you cant learn the knowledge experience gives. a slight change in a patient can warn of anew or worsening condition.

ive been seena few times by ENPS very highly skilled nurses im sorry but a PA simply cant do there role.
Original post by UKPAStudent
Thinking about studying to become a Physician Associate? Let's chat. Current 1st year PA student.

Hey if i have a degree in diagnostic radiography would i be able to do a masters in physician associate??
Original post by blabla1234567
Hey if i have a degree in diagnostic radiography would i be able to do a masters in physician associate??

Yes absolutely. There are several diagnostic radiographers and therapeautic radiotherapists on our course.
Hi
So the interview process/questions for PA, is it the same as medicine?
Original post by iceberger
Hi
So the interview process/questions for PA, is it the same as medicine?

Yep, prepare the same way. You'll be studying 'medicine' at university in order to train as a PA so prep the same way you would for a medicine degree.

Be able to answer:
why you want to be a PA
Why PA and not Dr
Why PA and not NP
What qualities/skills makes a good PA
Example of a time you deal with a challenging situation
What challenges do PAs face
How can PAs benefit the MDT
How do you see PAs working in primary care

Be able to answer some ethical scenarios

Can't think of anything else, good luck!
Original post by YorkshireSoapCo
Yep, prepare the same way. You'll be studying 'medicine' at university in order to train as a PA so prep the same way you would for a medicine degree.

Be able to answer:
why you want to be a PA
Why PA and not Dr
Why PA and not NP
What qualities/skills makes a good PA
Example of a time you deal with a challenging situation
What challenges do PAs face
How can PAs benefit the MDT
How do you see PAs working in primary care

Be able to answer some ethical scenarios

Can't think of anything else, good luck!

Thanks for the info appreciate it, in terms of employment what are job prospects like, looking on NHS jobs not as many vacancies as number of PA's graduating
Original post by iceberger
Thanks for the info appreciate it, in terms of employment what are job prospects like, looking on NHS jobs not as many vacancies as number of PA's graduating

PAs tend to get offered jobs through placements but I know the year above me have all secured jobs and looks promising for our year too! It's never a guarantee but I'm hopeful & confident the demand is there, more and more unis are offering the program :smile:

& you're welcome

Latest