The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ckoppula199
My A-levels are Bio, Chem and Maths so not directly related to CompSci

I've got 3 offers so far, ABB for Surrey, AAB for bath and AAA for warwick, waiting on UCL and cambridge. I'm thinking of putting surrey as my insurance.

Ahh I see what you mean, they do say that only maths and a science is compulsory though :wink:

(Then there's me with the standard Maths, FM, Physics & CS) xD

Hey and congrats on those offers!! I have honestly only had acknowledgments from Durham, Manchester & UCL but someone in my Sixth Form has already got an interview at Manchester :/
Original post by ImprobableCacti
I was watching that through the summer haha

And geez the college is so nice - did you get the barbecue on the lawn by the river on the open day? I liked it so much I went back for the college open day and got a tour from one of the students - he was so down to earth and had a great sense of humour, it just sealed the deal :biggrin:

Nah i couldn't attend the open day unfortunately, it coincided with work experience at a pharmacy, so my two friends and I went on an unofficial open day of our own...hehe

Got funny looks from other colleges (Jesus!!! Kings!!! :mad::mad:)but only Queen's allowed us to speak to the admissions tutor and we got prospectuses!
Original post by Oruese
Nah i couldn't attend the open day unfortunately, it coincided with work experience at a pharmacy, so my two friends and I went on an unofficial open day of our own...hehe

Got funny looks from other colleges (Jesus!!! Kings!!! :mad::mad:)but only Queen's allowed us to speak to the admissions tutor and we got prospectuses!

That's so strange, don't Jesus say that you're always welcome to come look around haha. And the porters at Queens' are super friendly as well, for the college open day they weren't aware that there was an open day but they made us feel welcome and found somewhere nice for us to wait anyway haha

Also was it the super nice Aussie woman? She's the one that visits our school :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ckoppula199
My A-levels are Bio, Chem and Maths so not directly related to CompSci

I've got 3 offers so far, ABB for Surrey, AAB for bath and AAA for warwick, waiting on UCL and cambridge. I'm thinking of putting surrey as my insurance.

Got harsh offers from Leeds and Birmingham, both A*AA which i expected considering my GCSEs weren't stellar, wouldn't expect Bath to give me anything less to be honest
Hi. Any Law interviews yet for UK applicant? Anyone heard from Jesus.

Good luck everyone!
(edited 6 years ago)
That's so strange, don't Jesus say that you're always welcome to come look around haha. And the porters at Queens' are super friendly as well, for the college open day they weren't aware that there was an open day but they made us feel welcome and found somewhere nice for us to wait anyway haha

Also was it the super nice Aussie woman? She's the one that visits our school :biggrin:

Yeah! she's the one who welcomed us, gave us a quick laydown of the college accommodations, entry requirements etc.
My school isn't familiar with Cambridge at all, no taster courses/master classes, no sutton trust, haven't sent an applicant in about a decade i believe, hoping to break that jinx and open the floodgates, how bout you?
Ah seeing this makes my stomach squirm
I am in knots rn
Original post by Oruese
Yeah! she's the one who welcomed us, gave us a quick laydown of the college accommodations, entry requirements etc.
My school isn't familiar with Cambridge at all, no taster courses/master classes, no sutton trust, haven't sent an applicant in about a decade i believe, hoping to break that jinx and open the floodgates, how bout you?

My sixth form has had a few in the past - not many though. They had 3 to Cambridge 2 or 3 years ago but none since then. My school doesn't mention anything about taster courses or Sutton trust but I think the NatSci applicant this year managed to go on a summer school at Jesus.

This year we have a record 5 (yes 5!!) Oxbridge applicants, all for the sciences. We've always been a good year group compared to the rest of my school (best GCSEs ever, best AS ever etc. ).

You should definitely talk to your head of sixth about getting in touch with the Cambridge college allocated to your county/city to help persuade lower school (and the lower sixth) that Cambridge is doable :smile:

Also does anyone have any tips on how to deal with your lifelong bestie applying to the dark side?
My sixth form has had a few in the past - not many though. They had 3 to Cambridge 2 or 3 years ago but none since then. My school doesn't mention anything about taster courses or Sutton trust but I think the NatSci applicant this year managed to go on a summer school at Jesus.

This year we have a record 5 (yes 5!!) Oxbridge applicants, all for the sciences. We've always been a good year group compared to the rest of my school (best GCSEs ever, best AS ever etc. ).

You should definitely talk to your head of sixth about getting in touch with the Cambridge college allocated to your county/city to help persuade lower school (and the lower sixth) that Cambridge is doable :smile:

Also does anyone have any tips on how to deal with your lifelong bestie applying to the dark side?

Seems to be the case in my school as well! 6 applicants from mine 2 for cambridge and 4 to the university that shall not be named... our head of sixth is absolutely buzzing! We are quite spread out, we've got 2 for maths, 2 for PPE, i'm ChemEng and me partner in crime is applying for History

I have recommended Cambridge master classes for year 12 students that are interested in Chemistry and Land economy both of which are next week saturday, to my head of sixth form and we'll try to light that fire. I'll mention the Sutton trust to her, although i don't know when the applications are open.

It's a matter of exposure for students, because if i didn't watch Jake Wright vlogs or Ibz Mo, i never would've bothered to apply and would still think that Cambridge was beyond reach
Original post by Oruese
Seems to be the case in my school as well! 6 applicants from mine 2 for cambridge and 4 to the university that shall not be named... our head of sixth is absolutely buzzing! We are quite spread out, we've got 2 for maths, 2 for PPE, i'm ChemEng and me partner in crime is applying for History

I have recommended Cambridge master classes for year 12 students that are interested in Chemistry and Land economy both of which are next week saturday, to my head of sixth form and we'll try to light that fire. I'll mention the Sutton trust to her, although i don't know when the applications are open.

It's a matter of exposure for students, because if i didn't watch Jake Wright vlogs or Ibz Mo, i never would've bothered to apply and would still think that Cambridge was beyond reach

I think Sutton trust opens December time (IIRC) and if it weren't for Maria (the admissions tutor at Queens' ) I don't think I would have ever thought I was good enough to apply. Also we have, for Cambridge, 1 Maths, 1 NatSci & 2 CompScis, and for the other place we have a Chem applicant..

I tried to introduce one of the sociology/psychology students to Ibz in the hope that she would apply but it all came a little too late (she hadn't even started her PS) :frown:
I think Sutton trust opens December time (IIRC) and if it weren't for Maria (the admissions tutor at Queens' ) I don't think I would have ever thought I was good enough to apply. Also we have, for Cambridge, 1 Maths, 1 NatSci & 2 CompScis, and for the other place we have a Chem applicant..

I tried to introduce one of the sociology/psychology students to Ibz in the hope that she would apply but it all came a little too late (she hadn't even started her PS) :frown:

I totally agree with what you said about exposure; I definitely wouldn't have applied if not for Ibz Mo and some other students I met at Gonville and Caius, as I feel it's so important for students (especially from areas like mine) to see that students like them can get into universities like Cambridge. My school has only ever sent two students to Oxford (and this was two years ago) and no students ever to Cambridge :s-smilie: :eek: , my UCAS advisor went to Oxford himself so I'm hoping to get some help from him if I get called to interview but I am still very nervous :smile:

Ooohhh... that's a shame, he really have good revision study methods (most of which are applicable to science subjects) and his journey to cambridge does signify that hard work goes a long way.
Original post by Oruese
Ooohhh... that's a shame, he really have good revision study methods (most of which are applicable to science subjects) and his journey to cambridge does signify that hard work goes a long way.

Yeah Ibz is great
I received my interview on 10/11/17 and I am a home student, but I am from Northern Ireland so I would have to fly, is there any trend of Northern Irish applicants being told sooner? @Doonesbury
Reply 234
Original post by IcedArizona
Niiice, I did it this past june :biggrin: Are you doing OIB by any chance?

Hi ! I'll tag along the conversation if that's okay :smile:I'm doing OIB, are you ?
Original post by Elif75
Hi ! I'll tag along the conversation if that's okay :smile:I'm doing OIB, are you ?

Finished it last year :h: You're in for quite a ride haha (pro tip, history geography syllabus is sooo heavy so start revising now haha)
What are you applying for? Which college?
Original post by fozzzyyy
I received my interview on 10/11/17 and I am a home student, but I am from Northern Ireland so I would have to fly, is there any trend of Northern Irish applicants being told sooner? @Doonesbury

Don't think so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HistoryWhiz6
Ah seeing this makes my stomach squirm
I am in knots rn

Same honestly, I keep reading this thread and getting increasingly impatient waiting for some kind of response. I feel constantly on edge and probably will until I hear back 😅
Original post by CharmSpirit
Oh nonono! In France despite choosing the scientific stream I still have 3h per week of philosophy, 2,5h per week of history geography and 2h of Spanish and 2 of English (useless for me as native speaker but still extra hours) and 2h of sport (which I enjoy) on top of my main subjects (maths, physics engineering) resulting in a 38 h week, on top of which we have homework etc. Soooo no, Id personally prefer A levels

yeah that sounds worst...
Looks like I'm the first computer science person, 9am in the morning too...perfect

Latest

Trending

Trending