The Student Room Group

Good small hatchback models?

Could people recommend me some good hatchback models? I plan on buying second hand. Budget is less than £3000.
Ford Fiesta, Vauxhall corsa, Citroen C1, Toyota Aygo/Yaris, Renault Clio, Fiat 500/punto
Ford Fiesta, VW Up/Polo (plus related models e.g. Skoda Fabia, Seat Ibiza), Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz/Fit, Mazda2. Check out insurance groups before buying.
Ford Fiesta... the spares are very easy to obtain. Very reliable.
fiesta st, could get a very well kept 2008 2.0 one for that. If your a new driver get a regular fiesta.
Kia Picanto 2013 onwards.
Original post by SunTiger
Could people recommend me some good hatchback models? I plan on buying second hand. Budget is less than £3000.

VW Polo - After 2005
VW Golf - Small engine like 1.4 should be okay
Ford Fiesta- New shape or even 2002-2008
Vauxhall Corsa- Corsa Cor Corsa D
Vauxhall Astra - NEW Shape
Fiat 500
Renault Clio- For 3k can easily get a new shape one
Seat Leon- pretty much the same as a golf
Fiat Grande Punto- Don't get a 2006 Model
Mini Cooper- Diesel one would be better for fuel
Mazda 2

Others:
Peugeot 206
Seat Ibiza
Toyota Aygo
Toyata Corolla
Hyundai Getz
Kia Cee'd
Kia Picanto
Citroen Saxo
Citroen C1 and C2
VW Polo 1.4TDI - Brilliant engine. Super reliable. Very economical and does fine with 5 people in the car. For £3000 you should be able to get the 2006-2009 one.
Ford Fiesta TDCI - Heard good things about this car. Fun drive for what it is and does everything well. Great performer amongst its peers.
Toyota Yaris - 1.4 Diesel. Reliable, cheap to insure and easy to drive. I personally like the bright interior too.

Those are pretty reliable and easy to find parts for too. I personally wouldn't go for a Skoda/Seat as they're super ugly on the inside (especially with that budget he'll be getting the terrible interior ones). The 206 I personally didn't like the drive, pretty gutless. Haven't driven the rest that the dude above me mentioned. I've got experience with the cars i've listed and they're top notch cars.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SunTiger

Keep in mind, Diesel cars will soon have some tax so try to buy a petrol. Most people would be trying to sell their diesel cars since you pay so much extra so yhhhhhhhhhhh
Ford Fiesta with a smallish petrol engine.
Another vote for fiesta, fun to drive and spares are cheap and easy to find because they are legit everywhere
Obviously make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for in terms of insurance - this could be the biggest cost if you're young and this is your first car.
Fiat Panda.
More practical than the 500, cheap to maintain, very reliable.
The 1.1 and 1.2 FIRE engine is one of the most reliable on market. Can last for high mileages, and it's simple and conservative construction gives practically zero problems and cheap service. The older Euro 3 emmisions doesn't even require the timing belt to be changed on time- it's a non-collision engine, if timing belt is off then it will just stop, taking no damage whatsoever, unlike most of other engines.
Original post by PTMalewski
Fiat Panda.

very reliable.

LOL, that has to be a troll
Original post by UniWasEz
LOL, that has to be a troll

Do you have necessary technical knowledge to support your opinion?

Because my maybe insufficient, (though I can name basically every single mechanical part in any kind of car, as well as pros and cons of various engine and suspension designs present on a market currently or historically, as well as I can carry out most of repairs- as long as I have service manuals and necessary tools), but I've been an owner of such car for 12 years.

Also my knowledge tells me, that it next to impossible for such a simplistic, not to say primitive, design to be unreliable. Cast-iron SOHC with 49HP from a liter of capacity, indirect injection, MacPherson suspension and torsion bar - there is practically no simplier design avaible on the market.
Eventually such cars may suffer from electrical failures, or bad quality of materials used in production, but this wasn't the case at least in early years of Panda mk2 production, and the main problem with cars such as Fiats is that they are being practically sabotaged by uncompetent users and bad factory service. A car of that kind that didn't show any quality failures during it's first years in use, kept in good shape and serviced by competent mechanics has practically no right to be unreliable.
Do you have necessary technical knowledge to support your opinion?

Because my maybe insufficient, (though I can name basically every single mechanical part in any kind of car, as well as pros and cons of various engine and suspension designs present on a market currently or historically, as well as I can carry out most of repairs- as long as I have service manuals and necessary tools), but I've been an owner of such car for 12 years.

Also my knowledge tells me, that it next to impossible for such a simplistic, not to say primitive, design to be unreliable. Cast-iron SOHC with 49HP from a liter of capacity, indirect injection, MacPherson suspension and torsion bar - there is practically no simplier design avaible on the market.
Eventually such cars may suffer from electrical failures, or bad quality of materials used in production, but this wasn't the case at least in early years of Panda mk2 production, and the main problem with cars such as Fiats is that they are being practically sabotaged by uncompetent users and bad factory service. A car of that kind that didn't show any quality failures during it's first years in use, kept in good shape and serviced by competent mechanics has practically no right to be unreliable.

I take a great deal of pride in the cars I have owned and have dabbled with maintenence tasks as a hobby.

I have never owned a fiat but everyone I know that has, has had fairly regular issues with them. Additionally I know a lot of people that have/still work in the automotive industry (including some that have worked for fiat) and every single one of them is scathing with their reviews of fiat, even more so than with French cars. Judging by reviews online it would appear it is a very common view that they are not good cars.

There is a fine line between a bad car and a cheap and cheerful one. In the case of fiat I feel it would be very difficult to argue that it falls into the latter category and not the former.

You are actually the first person I can recall defending fiats. Maybe you have had very positive experiences with them, in that case your experiences definitely appear to be an exception and not the norm.

Ultimately TC could get a much better car than the one you suggested for their budget.
Everyone i know that had owned a Fiat has had some sort of major mechanical issue with it at some point. Worst of which was probably my friends transmission exploding about 6 months after buying the car
Mercedes B250, got one when I️ was 16 and loved it

I have never owned a fiat but everyone I know that has, has had fairly regular issues with them. Additionally I know a lot of people that have/still work in the automotive industry (including some that have worked for fiat) and every single one of them is scathing with their reviews of fiat, even more so than with French cars.

You've made a misconception. I wrote about one very specific model, even refering to particular years of production, not to entire make. There is a great difference between particular models as well as in terms of design, production etc. You can hardly compare Panda to eg. Bravo, or claim that Fiat Sedici is an Italian car since it was identical to Suzuki SX4 and none of them was ever produced in Italy.
This, as you probably know, applies to other brands as well. The Vauxhall utilizes some Fiat engines, the Mini some Peugeot BMW modified engines, etc.

Judging by reviews online it would appear it is a very common view that they are not good cars.

Reviews claimed that Panda Mk II (model 169) was reliable. Also, the FIRE engine is widely regarded as reliable, and durable design.

You are actually the first person I can recall defending fiats. Maybe you have had very positive experiences with them, in that case your experiences definitely appear to be an exception and not the norm.

Maybe. From my experience, particular Fiats have opinions that vary from poor to excellent. Stilo for example had a very poor opinion.
However my main observation is that the main cause of problems with any car is either it's driver or the service, unless the issues are electrical.

Ultimately TC could get a much better car than the one you suggested for their budget.

And overkill his or her budget on future service. More expensive cars, are usually also more expensive to maintain.

Original post by dickwhittington
Everyone i know that had owned a Fiat has had some sort of major mechanical issue with it at some point. Worst of which was probably my friends transmission exploding about 6 months after buying the car

Perhaps they've cut costs recently. 10 years ago there was no reports of major mechanical problems like that. However, there were reports about few cars being sabotaged by underpaid workers. Good though it exploded while still on warranty. Clearly, your fried either got a car with faulty parts, or made some major mistake while driving.

Price or make is no guarantee of reliability however.
Look at some of the earlier posts. By standards from two decades ago, engines failing after such mileages would be considered as a complete scandal
https://www.facebook.com/pg/wymiensilnikpl/posts/?ref=page_internal
Oddly enough, most of the engines fail shortly after their warranty mileage.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending