The Student Room Group

I live in Tower Hamlets in London AMA

Although no one here actually calls it that. Basically I live in cubitt town on the isle of dogs. It's a very interesting part of London, quite new, quite diverse, quite poor, great transport links and has a DLR (light rail) instead of the tube. Near Canary Wharf and near lots of green space and an urban farm, on the banks of the river Thames as well. The environment is different from the rest of inner London since it's so quiet and more like a village

Basically I'm bored AF so I'm doing an AMA
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do you have to talk in rhyming slang to the local people ?

:holmes:
Original post by the bear
Do you have to talk in rhyming slang to the local people ?

No
Do you live in a tower? :holmes:
Do you have to eat jellied eels ?

Original post by SuperHuman98
Do you live in a Tower? :holmes:

Yes
Original post by the bear
Do you have to eat jellied eels ?

No never had it
How many times have u been stabbed so far?
Original post by Shut Up Benny
How many times have u been stabbed so far?

Zero just like everyone else I know. I feel very safe here
Reply 9
Since when is anywhere near canary wharf 'poor'?
Original post by Napp
Since when is anywhere near canary wharf 'poor'?

Actually the area just outside Canary Wharf is one of the poorest places in Britain. Tower Hamlets, the borough that Canary Wharf is in, has the highest poverty rate in the country. Canary Wharf is mainly just the office block, hardly any of the people that work there live near the area.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/one-in-two-children-growing-up-in-tower-hamlets-live-in-poverty-study-finds-9796610.html
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Atheist1234
Actually the area just outside Canary Wharf is one of the poorest places in Britain. Tower Hamlets, the borough that Canary Wharf is in, has the highest poverty rate in the country. Canary Wharf is mainly just the office block, hardly any of the people that work there live near the area.

I don't recall the area being that bad, I used to live in Shadwell, Wapping and Bow and the areas around them seemed more or less fine...
Original post by Napp
I don't recall the area being that bad, I used to live in Shadwell, Wapping and Bow and the areas around them seemed more or less fine...

Yeah but it's poor compared to the rest of Britain. Obviously it's still very rich compared to Iraq or Bangladesh.
whats your fav dessert??
Original post by CleverSquirrel
whats your fav dessert??

Vanilla ice cream
Is it supposedly one of those no-go zones which have been completely invaded and is now entire run by Muslims and is governed by 'shariah law' - as suggested by the orange coloured idiot donald trump?
Reply 16
Original post by Atheist1234
Although no one here actually calls it that. Basically I live in cubitt town on the isle of dogs. It's a very interesting part of London, quite new, quite diverse, quite poor, great transport links and has a DLR (light rail) instead of the tube. Near Canary Wharf and near lots of green space and an urban farm, on the banks of the river Thames as well. The environment is different from the rest of inner London since it's so quiet and more like a village

Basically I'm bored AF so I'm doing an AMA

You're very lucky, I stay in Whitechapel for uni which is far worse. Is your rent £200p/w or higher? Do you stay in an apartment?
Original post by 713Wave
Is it supposedly one of those no-go zones which have been completely invaded and is now entire run by Muslims and is governed by 'shariah law' - as suggested by the orange coloured idiot donald trump?

No, it's not a no go zone but it has a huge Muslim population, most of them are perfectly normal but its a very conservative, traditional community. It's probably the closest thing we have to the American Bible Belt. There's no sharia law at all, but there are loads of mosques and some of the mosques are allowed to broadcast the call to prayer out loud which can be a bit annoying but it's their right to religious freedom I feel. Overall it's not too bad and I don't find the muslim population, especially Muslims my age, a problem. Some of the adults are the problem. The kids are normal British kids but the adults are still living here like it's Bangladesh. My parents are Muslim immigrants as well and they're quite integrated but can't say the same for most people
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by xptrt3
You're very lucky, I stay in Whitechapel for uni which is far worse. Is your rent £200p/w or higher? Do you stay in an apartment?

I live with my family, parents own a flat. Yeah Whitechapel is a lot grittier than the isle of dogs for the most part.
Original post by Napp

Bow is fine?? Not according to Dizzee Rascal, Wiley, or Tinchy Stryder lol

Quick Reply

Latest