The Student Room Group

IB subjects for veterinary school

Hi all.
I'm going to start studying IBDP from next January.

If I want to study veterinary medicine in England, should I take all three sciences (Chemistry, Biology and Physics)?
Even the physics is not actually required, will it be an advantage for the enrolment at all?

Cheers
I was under the impression that it isn't possible to take all three sciences in the IB? Apologies if this has changed since I finished college, but I remember this being one of the reasons why I chose to do A levels instead.

The admissions requirements for vet schools can be found on their websites; only biology and chemistry are a requirement. Taking physics (or maths) does not confer any advantage with regard to appearing a more academically able applicant. There is a small amount of physics in the veterinary course, but nothing that you will struggle with if you don't take IB physics, and conversely there are subjects that will help you better with other aspects of vet school (i.e. essay writing). I personally adored doing physics in college and it was my favourite subject, so by all means do it if you enjoy it, but don't be under the illusion that it makes you more likely to get in.
Reply 2
Original post by Moonie-vet
Hi all.
I'm going to start studying IBDP from next January.

If I want to study veterinary medicine in England, should I take all three sciences (Chemistry, Biology and Physics)?
Even the physics is not actually required, will it be an advantage for the enrolment at all?

Cheers

Hi I'm studying the IB and have applied for vet school this year.
I'm studying Chemistry, Biology and Psychology to higher level and English, French and Maths to standard level (Don't do maths studies). You could to maths to higher level if you enjoy it, but it makes no difference to the universities.
Hope this helped :smile:
Original post by Lulu04
I'm studying Chemistry, Biology and Psychology to higher level and English, French and Maths to standard level (Don't do maths studies). You could to maths to higher level if you enjoy it, but it makes no difference to the universities.

I am applying this year and did Maths Studies. All of the universities I have applied to are perfectly fine with it. You're in a better position than if you did A-levels and didn't do maths at all! I have 2 interviews coming up - highlights it wasn't too big an issue!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by sophielophie
I am applying this year and have chosen to do Maths Studies. All of the universities I have applied to are perfectly fine with it. You're in a better position than if you did A-levels and didn't do maths at all! I have 2 interviews coming up - highlights it wasn't too big an issue!

Whoops never mind then sounds like Maths Studies is ok to do :smile:
Congratulations! Which universities do you have interviews at?
I am also applying to vet school this year with IB, but I do HL maths. Only do it if you are genuinely passionate about Maths!!! It used to be a requirement for Edinburgh and Cambridge I think which is why I chose it in the first place, but Edi changed their entry requirements (666 now instead of 766 :smile:) and Cambridge state people do get in with only 2 science/maths HLs, just not that many. I absolutely love HL maths, but it is the most difficult subject I am taking and I would only recommend it if you cannot see yourself taking any other subject at HL.
Original post by Lulu04
Whoops never mind then sounds like Maths Studies is ok to do :smile:
Congratulations! Which universities do you have interviews at?

I do think if you do maths studies they want you to have a 6 or 7 though.
Original post by Lulu04

Hi,
so its been 3 years and idk if you will answer but im guessing that rn you are studying vet medicine but did every uni accept all those subjects or are there any extra expectiations or different subjects that are needed to get into vet medicine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending