The Student Room Group

Equal consideration until Jan 15th- true?

I've had really mixed messages from people about whether or not its true that your application is equally considered whether you apply in September or January.

I'm stressing because my senior tutor hasn't written my reference yet and my dream course only has 30 places...

Can someone give me a definitive answer?
Makes no difference when you submit it.
Reply 2
Original post by catherineoxley12

True.
Original post by catherineoxley12
I've had really mixed messages from people about whether or not its true that your application is equally considered whether you apply in September or January.

I'm stressing because my senior tutor hasn't written my reference yet and my dream course only has 30 places...

false - if universities have given out offers already - assuming the course doesn't have unlimited spaces - that means, theoretically there are less places left therefore you are less likely to get an offer. (I'm sure they must have a model where they know how likely you are to accept/receive the grades and therefore have a set amount of offers they can give.)
also - unis know that "better" candidates tend to apply earlier. i.e. if you were to apply before oct 15th with great grades they could assume you applied for oxbridge and generally it shows eagerness and organisation if you apply earlier, hence they also tend to give offers earlier. - Its not usually the case where they are waiting for "the perfect candidate(s)" because "the perfect candidate(s)" 9/10 will be one of the first to apply.

Sorry for what seems like really cynical and depressing stuff, but i'm sure you'll do well! Your PS is only really 1 page of you telling a uni why you would be a pleasure to teach so don't overthink it! Good luck in the future and let me know if you get your dream offer!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by iwantoknow
false - if universities have given out offers already - assuming the course doesn't have unlimited spaces - that means, theoretically there are less places left therefore you are less likely to get an offer. (I'm sure they must have a model where they know how likely you are to accept/receive the grades and therefore have a set amount of offers they can give.)

It doesn't work like that. (They do indeed have a model, this is their bread and butter. This is why you may not get an offer until March, or even May)

And universities are *required* by UCAS to give equal consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
It doesn't work like that. (They do indeed have a model, this is their bread and butter. This is why you may not get an offer until March, or even May)

And universities are *required* by UCAS to give equal consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it SHOULDN'T work like that but we're all humans and we're more likely to give something out when we've got lots of it versus when we've not got so many left

e.g. i'll stupidly buy people drinks if i had 3k in my bank but i'd strongly reconsider if i only had £100
Reply 6
i got offers from notts trent, nottingham and sheffield after 4 days of applying and i applied on monday - i'd advise applying earlier
Reply 7
Original post by Mahel
it SHOULDN'T work like that but we're all humans and we're more likely to give something out when we've got lots of it versus when we've not got so many left

e.g. i'll stupidly buy people drinks if i had 3k in my bank but i'd strongly reconsider if i only had £100

Fortunately admissions staff are more professional than that, and the universities are contractually required to be so by UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending