What do you need to get a PHD
should you take a MA or BA first
what is Bsc or Msc
what is better bsc or msc
is the title ma or ba better
Please help! my parents don't know
BA = Bachelor's degree in Arts
BSc = Bachelor's degree in Science
(Bachelor's degree = what A-level/IB students would go on to study at university straight out of school. Usually takes 3 years.)

MA = Master's degree in Arts
MSc = Master's degree in Science
(Master's degree = optional further study after completion of a Bachelor's degree. Takes 1-2 years typically.)

PhD = Doctor of Philosophy (Doctorate)
(PhD requires at least a Bachelor's degree - most programs don't require a Master's degree, but it can boost the application in some cases. A PhD involves self-directed original research for 3-4 years, and the production of a several-hundred page thesis detailing your research process and your findings.)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Retrodiction
BA = Bachelor's degree in Arts
BSc = Bachelor's degree in Science
(Bachelor's degree = what A-level/IB students would go on to study at university straight out of school. Usually takes 3 years.)

MA = Master's degree in Arts
MSc = Master's degree in Science
(Master's degree = optional further study after completion of a Bachelor's degree. Takes 1-2 years typically.)

PhD = Doctor of Philosophy (Doctorate)
(PhD requires at least a Bachelor's degree - most programs don't require a Master's degree, but it can boost the application in some cases. A PhD involves self-directed original research for 3-4 years, and the production of a several-hundred page thesis detailing your research process and your findings.)

THANKS
Did you try googling any of this, OP?
Original post by physicseastldn
Also, what is UCAS
what are UCAS Points.

UCAS is the company through which you send your application. When it comes time your school will teach you how to log in and you will need to fill out an application outlining your personal details, personal statement, past qualifications (GCSE etc) and what courses you want to do (you can have up to 5 and the cost of applying varies depending on how many you choose. This year it was £24 for 5 choices). Your school then add their references and predicted grades and your application is sent to the universities!

As for UCAS points, you get a specific amount for every qualification above GCSE and how much you get depends on grades. E.g. a B at A Level is 40 UCAS Points. (Here's a link to the tariff table https://dtmw9u23bb9ya.cloudfront.net/system/articles/pictures/467/content_2_Calculate_your_UCAS_points-03-edit.jpg ) Unis will usually ask for specific grades in certain subjects however some will give an offer based on UCAS points too. For example I have an offer from Nottingham Trent for BBB or 120 UCAS points with a B in biology.

Hope I've helped!
Reply 5
PhD = pain, suffering and eternal damnation.
Original post by gjd800
PhD = pain, suffering and eternal damnation.

You took the words right out of my mouth. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending