The Student Room Group

What is the difference between set texts and coursework?

I am an international student who is currently applying to UK unis. As part of one of my applications (UCL), I am being asked to list all the books I have studied in my English class during the last 2 years, indicating which ones where set texts and which ones where coursework... but I have no idea what the difference between these two are.
Could anyone explain it to me?
Original post by Miyinsk
I am an international student who is currently applying to UK unis. As part of one of my applications (UCL), I am being asked to list all the books I have studied in my English class during the last 2 years, indicating which ones where set texts and which ones where coursework... but I have no idea what the difference between these two are.
Could anyone explain it to me?

Set texts = Compulsory books everyone studies for the exams.
For English Lit it will normally be Shakespeare, poetry and some fiction.

Coursework = Tends to be books of your choice that you study for the sake of writing any assessed coursework through the year and are not part of formal exams.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Set texts = Compulsory books everyone studies for the exams.
For English Lit it will normally be Shakespeare, poetry and some fiction.

Coursework = Tends to be books of your choice that you study for the sake of writing any assessed coursework through the year and are not part of formal exams.

Thank you so much for your help!
Although I am still a bit confused. I studied IB, so only a few of the books we read were specific for our final exams. However, we never got to pick any books; the other texts were given to us in order to be used for other IB assessments (like the Oral Presentation or the Written Assignment), that while they were not part of our final exams counted towards our final IB English grade. Would those be considered coursework or set texts?
And those texts that were not picked for a specific assessment, but just as normal practice for essays and things like that?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Miyinsk
Thank you so much for your help!
Although I am still a bit confused. I studied IB, so only a few of the books we read were specific for our final exams. However, we never got to pick any books; the other texts were given to us in order to be used for other IB assessments (like the Oral Presentation or the Written Assignment), that while they were not part of our final exams counted towards our final IB English grade. Would those be considered coursework or set texts?

If you were given rather than chose yourself then that would indicate no choice and therefore set texts. If everyone else in class studied the same they are set texts.

They will also note you seem to be concerned with English language rather than literature where the distinction is a bit more appropriate. I wouldnt worry either way.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
If you were given rather than chose yourself then that would indicate no choice and therefore set texts. If everyone else in class studied the same they are set texts.

They will also note you seem to be concerned with English language rather than literature where the distinction is a bit more appropriate. I wouldnt worry either way.

Thank you again!
This really clarified all my doubts. So bottom line, all of my books were set texts, right?
I did not understand what you meant about English language rather than literature, though. I studied English A: Literature for IB.
Original post by Miyinsk
Thank you again!
This really clarified all my doubts. So bottom line, all of my books were set texts, right?
I did not understand what you meant about English language rather than literature, though. I studied English A: Literature for IB.

If you studied the same as everyone else, then they would be set texts.
If it isnt divided for IB and you just studied English dont worry. For A levels they split the subjects into English language and English literature as two different subjects.

O doubt it really matters for whoever is asking as long as you put the main texts down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending