The Student Room Group

Is it ok to take a day off studying at Cambridge?

I’m in my first term at Cambridge and I have honestly done nothing but work since getting here (didn’t even have a proper fresher’s week as I got an essay on my first day and lectures stared a few days after arriving).

I am in the unusual position of having finished my essay which is due in tomorrow and all my other work. I have no lectures or classes at all today... So, I could technically do no work at all. But, I feel guilty just thinking about it. There’s always another book to read and I have a reading list several miles long.

Would it be ok to take the day off?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Platopus
I’m in my first term at Cambridge and I have honestly done nothing but work since getting here (didn’t even have a proper fresher’s week as I got an essay on my first day and lectures stared a few days after arriving).

I am in the unusual position of having finished my essay which is due in tomorrow and all my other work. I have no lectures or classes at all today... So, I could technically do no work at all. But, I feel guilty just thinking about it. There’s always another book to read and I have a reading list several miles long.

Lol of course you deserve a day-off occasionally if you’ve already done your work you needed to do! :biggrin:
Lovely to see you back here. :smile:
How’s been your days at Cambridge so far?
Reply 2
Yes. Your mental health and wellbeing need to come first once in a while. If everything is done then you've more than earned that break!
Reply 3
Original post by vincrows
Lol of course you deserve a day-off occasionally if you’ve already done your work you needed to do! :biggrin:
Lovely to see you back here. :smile:
How’s been your days at Cambridge so far?

Thank you :smile: it’s been full on, but really interesting! I feel as though the time goes by very quickly here.

Original post by klw18
Yes. Your mental health and wellbeing need to come first once in a while. If everything is done then you've more than earned that break!

Thank you. I think you’re right. I am feeling pretty mentally exhausted. I guess I just find it hard to justify taking time off, when it seems like nobody else is!
Reply 4

Part of university life is being your own manager and learning to find the right balance between work and time off for you, and being able to take responsibility for that decision. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt in your case!
Reply 5
Original post by pjm600
Part of university life is being your own manager and learning to find the right balance between work and time off for you, and being able to take responsibility for that decision. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt in your case!

Exactly - I know it’s my responsibility so I don’t want to be blaming myself later lol. But, I think one day can’t hurt. I won’t do any proper work, but I will do some reading of my set texts so I can pretend to myself that I’m studying! :smile:
Reply 6
Exactly - I know it’s my responsibility so I don’t want to be blaming myself later lol. But, I think one day can’t hurt. I won’t do any proper work, but I will do some reading of my set texts so I can pretend to myself that I’m studying! :smile:

No. Do nothing academic at all. Get yourself some fresh air. You could go for a wander to Grantchester. Today. Now.

It's a lovely, cold but clear sunny day.

Beautiful.

(Week 5 is a thing, I know that was last week, but still... :smile: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
No. Do nothing academic at all. Get yourself some fresh air. You could go for a wander to Grantchester. Today. Now.

It's a lovely, cold but clear sunny day.

Beautiful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I haven’t been to Grantchester yet! Yeah, that sounds really nice. Thank you :smile: think I’ll go “explore” haha
Reply 8
Oh, I haven’t been to Grantchester yet! Yeah, that sounds really nice. Thank you :smile: think I’ll go “explore” haha

Excellent! There's a riverside walk. Have a lovely day!

Go now... carpe Diem.

(And see my edit above :wink: )

Try Botanical Garden.
Free for Cambridge students and beautiful with autumn leaves now.
Id leave granchester for a day you can go with your friends. :wink:

If you go past the Granta pub and into Newnham village (past the co-op) there's the walk that way too. If you follow it all the way there's a nice tea-room once you get to the village itself! Walk is maybe 40 minutes if that?

You should definitely be taking days, and at the very least half-days, off. The best thing you can learn to do is accept that when you aren't working, you're not going too nor able to do anything. The separation between work and fun/relaxation such that you don't feel guilty is something key to learn how to do. I managed it going into second year and certainly now in my fourth having been out of here for a year.

You need the time off and shouldn't feel bad about it; most everyone else will be doing the same, whether you see it or not (nothing wrong with a pj movie day). If you don't take any time for you you're going to burn out, and not prettily either.
.....or spend whole day on TSR, replying to all the messages you’re getting.........

:tongue:
Yep, you can take today off. I was like you in my first term, but eventually you nail down a really solid workflow for the week which will almost always give you a day off (other people allocate days differently, of course, but I do 3x days reading, 1x day planning, 2x days writing/proofing, which gives me a day off to wander to the library and get the books out for next week's essay etc). I'd highly recommend Grantchester or the Botanical Gardens, or even going for a wander down the Cam can be nice once you get out of town and into the countryside (approach Jesus Lock from town, turn right and walk past the Fort St George and the boathouses for over a mile).
Reply 13
your own health and well being are as important as your gradesyou can't pour from an empty glass! Recharge yourself and take the day off .. obviously don't make a habit of it but if your work is done, stay in and sleep or stick Netflix on. enjoy your day x
Reply 14

Definitely. I'd suggest you go walk along the river for a few hours to get relaxed/grounded + some perspective and do something you enjoy for the rest of the day. A 3 year (or longer) degree is a marathon and you need to take care of your wellbeing along the way.

Just my 2 cents.. I graduated Natsci in 2015 and had to learn the above the hard way..
treat yourself to one of these:

http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/assets/news/thumbs/main/4046903067_fa4da692bd_o.jpg

visit one of the charming villages around Cambridge. Bar Hill is beautiful in the late autumn; you can do some pre-Christmas shopping and pop into Churchill's Fish & Chips.
Reply 16
Original post by Doonesbury
Excellent! There's a riverside walk. Have a lovely day!

Go now... carpe Diem.

(And see my edit above :wink: )

Original post by vincrows
Try Botanical Garden.
Free for Cambridge students and beautiful with autumn leaves now.
Id leave granchester for a day you can go with your friends. :wink:

Original post by Paralove
If you go past the Granta pub and into Newnham village (past the co-op) there's the walk that way too. If you follow it all the way there's a nice tea-room once you get to the village itself! Walk is maybe 40 minutes if that?

You should definitely be taking days, and at the very least half-days, off. The best thing you can learn to do is accept that when you aren't working, you're not going too nor able to do anything. The separation between work and fun/relaxation such that you don't feel guilty is something key to learn how to do. I managed it going into second year and certainly now in my fourth having been out of here for a year.

You need the time off and shouldn't feel bad about it; most everyone else will be doing the same, whether you see it or not (nothing wrong with a pj movie day). If you don't take any time for you you're going to burn out, and not prettily either.

Original post by Parliament
Yep, you can take today off. I was like you in my first term, but eventually you nail down a really solid workflow for the week which will almost always give you a day off (other people allocate days differently, of course, but I do 3x days reading, 1x day planning, 2x days writing/proofing, which gives me a day off to wander to the library and get the books out for next week's essay etc). I'd highly recommend Grantchester or the Botanical Gardens, or even going for a wander down the Cam can be nice once you get out of town and into the countryside (approach Jesus Lock from town, turn right and walk past the Fort St George and the boathouses for over a mile).

Original post by xx30.07
your own health and well being are as important as your gradesyou can't pour from an empty glass! Recharge yourself and take the day off .. obviously don't make a habit of it but if your work is done, stay in and sleep or stick Netflix on. enjoy your day x

Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Good to see you back Platopus. :biggrin:

Don't ruin your mental health in the first term. There is plenty of time for that later. :wink:

Original post by αβɣ
Definitely. I'd suggest you go walk along the river for a few hours to get relaxed/grounded + some perspective and do something you enjoy for the rest of the day. A 3 year (or longer) degree is a marathon and you need to take care of your wellbeing along the way.

Just my 2 cents.. I graduated Natsci in 2015 and had to learn the above the hard way..

Original post by the bear
treat yourself to one of these:

http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/assets/news/thumbs/main/4046903067_fa4da692bd_o.jpg

visit one of the charming villages around Cambridge. Bar Hill is beautiful in the late autumn; you can do some pre-Christmas shopping and pop into Churchill's Fish & Chips.

Thank you everyone! So many great suggestions. I’ll have to work my way through them :biggrin: I did go for a walk today for a few hours and it was so nice to clear my head. I feel much less stressed out now.
Reply 17
Thank you everyone! So many great suggestions. I’ll have to work my way through them :biggrin: I did go for a walk today for a few hours and it was so nice to clear my head. I feel much less stressed out now.

:yy:

:smile:
hello sorry if this bothers you but i'm just wondering what you're studying? :smile: [i'm a bit curious sorry]
Reply 19
Original post by entertainmyfaith
hello sorry if this bothers you but i'm just wondering what you're studying? :smile: [i'm a bit curious sorry]

No worries. It’s philosophy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest