The Student Room Group

Issues with University reference

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of a problem with university references.
I previously went to university for 2 months last year and absolutely hated it. I went home in the first couple of weeks and withdrew legally a month later.

After having a year out and looking at my options I've decided to reapply. I've decided to do a course I wanted to do (as opposed to doing what my parents wanted me to do previously).
As I didn't actually attend university I was told by my college that I was best off getting my college tutor to do my reference (as I met my university tutor once, and that was to fill out my withdrawal forms).

I sent my application off 4 days ago and already invited to one interview. All was great till they started demanding I get a grades transcript and a reference from my university tutor, which I stress I only met once.
This isn't too big a deal, except I never did any assignments. I can easily email my old tutor, but I'm just wondering if this is going to be an on going issue with all my universities I've applied to. If so, is it possible if my old tutor sends me the information and I can forward it on if they do ask. I don't want her to feel burdened with having to send the same info 5 times at my request.
This is totally stressing me out as I was reassured it wouldn't be a problem.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by starsentinel
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of a problem with university references.
I previously went to university for 2 months last year and absolutely hated it. I went home in the first couple of weeks and withdrew legally a month later.

After having a year out and looking at my options I've decided to reapply. I've decided to do a course I wanted to do (as opposed to doing what my parents wanted me to do previously).
As I didn't actually attend university I was told by my college that I was best off getting my college tutor to do my reference (as I met my university tutor once, and that was to fill out my withdrawal forms).

I sent my application off 4 days ago and already invited to one interview. All was great till they started demanding I get a grades transcript and a reference from my university tutor, which I stress I only met once.
This isn't too big a deal, except I never did any assignments. I can easily email my old tutor, but I'm just wondering if this is going to be an on going issue with all my universities I've applied to. If so, is it possible if my old tutor sends me the information and I can forward it on if they do ask. I don't want her to feel burdened with having to send the same info 5 times at my request.
This is totally stressing me out as I was reassured it wouldn't be a problem.

It shouldnt be a problem and there is no reason to get stressed.

Did you include on your form that you attended your previous university? If not then theres no reason for them to ask.

If you did and they are asking for references just contact them and point out its not appropriate as you decided to leave after a very short time so there will be no transcript.

If they insist, then write to your previous department and just ask them to issue a letter pointing out you did attend, but voluntarily decided to withdraw from the course after a few weeks as you felt it wasnt working out. A reference in those circumstances would not be appropriate.

You could also find any formal leaving document you completed.

Alternatively just contact the curse organiser/ admissions for the unis you apply to and point out what has happened and whether they would need anything from the previous uni.

Its not worth getting stressed about, its just a bit more paperwork.
Original post by 999tigger
It shouldnt be a problem and there is no reason to get stressed.

Did you include on your form that you attended your previous university? If not then theres no reason for them to ask.

If you did and they are asking for references just contact them and point out its not appropriate as you decided to leave after a very short time so there will be no transcript.

If they insist, then write to your previous department and just ask them to issue a letter pointing out you did attend, but voluntarily decided to withdraw from the course after a few weeks as you felt it wasnt working out. A reference in those circumstances would not be appropriate.

You could also find any formal leaving document you completed.

Alternatively just contact the curse organiser/ admissions for the unis you apply to and point out what has happened and whether they would need anything from the previous uni.

Its not worth getting stressed about, its just a bit more paperwork.

I actually stated in my personal statement that I previously attended university, using it to show how I'm aware of what to expect. Thank you so much for the reply. I don't feel it's appropriate to ask and especially as they're asking for mock results, which goes against my privacy. I have tried to contact my last university but my old tutor is on study leave. I probably will not chase it up as I don't feel it's appropriate as I supplied a reference from college where my qualfications count. Thank you so much I feel more at ease.
Original post by starsentinel
I actually stated in my personal statement that I previously attended university, using it to show how I'm aware of what to expect. Thank you so much for the reply. I don't feel it's appropriate to ask and especially as they're asking for mock results, which goes against my privacy. I have tried to contact my last university but my old tutor is on study leave. I probably will not chase it up as I don't feel it's appropriate as I supplied a reference from college where my qualfications count. Thank you so much I feel more at ease.

The correct place if for your referee to mention it.

Its appropriate to ask if its causing you concern. You cant worry about it in one sentence and then deny yourself the solution, that doesnt make sense.

They shouldnt need mock results as you have the real ones if we are talking about school/ college.

Just speak to admissions and ask why. I dont think theres anything t worry about and the methods I suggested would deal with the matter quickly if it became an issue. You don't have to speak to your old tutor, their admissions department would be enough as they would have a record of when you left.

The message is dont worry and dont waste any energy on it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending