The Student Room Group

Any help would be appreciated

Hello,

In September 2017, I started a course (criminology and criminal justice studies) at Portsmouth University. I had full funding from student finance in both my tuition fee loan and my maintenance loan. I was also entitled to a bursary.

Due to several reasons, the biggest being my Nan passing away and having no support network in Portsmouth as I wasn't in halls and was 200 miles away from home, I left Portsmouth on the 23rd/24th October 2017. Due to when I left, I only recieved one instalment of both my tuition fee and maintenance loan and did not receive my bursary.

I am looking to apply to Plymouth University for 2018 study.

Due to my a-level results not being great, I have to take a foundation course before doing my actual course. This foundation course is a year long and is called Management, Government and Law (N205). The course I would do following this, if I get the grades, would be BSc (Hons) Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies with Law (M214).

My question is whether I would be able to get 4 years of funding or if I would only be able to get 3 years funding? My issue is, I come from a very low income family, and I wouldn't really be able to afford a year without finance. I would be willing to pay back what I owe from Portsmouth, if it meant I could get 4 years of funding.

Any help would be really appreciated.

ThatGirlSarah:smile:
Original post by ThatGirlSarah
Hello,

In September 2017, I started a course (criminology and criminal justice studies) at Portsmouth University. I had full funding from student finance in both my tuition fee loan and my maintenance loan. I was also entitled to a bursary.

Due to several reasons, the biggest being my Nan passing away and having no support network in Portsmouth as I wasn't in halls and was 200 miles away from home, I left Portsmouth on the 23rd/24th October 2017. Due to when I left, I only recieved one instalment of both my tuition fee and maintenance loan and did not receive my bursary.

I am looking to apply to Plymouth University for 2018 study.

Due to my a-level results not being great, I have to take a foundation course before doing my actual course. This foundation course is a year long and is called Management, Government and Law (N205). The course I would do following this, if I get the grades, would be BSc (Hons) Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies with Law (M214).

My question is whether I would be able to get 4 years of funding or if I would only be able to get 3 years funding? My issue is, I come from a very low income family, and I wouldn't really be able to afford a year without finance. I would be willing to pay back what I owe from Portsmouth, if it meant I could get 4 years of funding.

Any help would be really appreciated.

ThatGirlSarah:smile:

Hi ThatGirlSarah,

If the Foundation Year is an integral part of the course, then it is treated as a standard course and as such attracts full student support, as you have only used 1 year of your previous course then you would be funded as you have only used your additional year of funding.

Thanks

Catherine
I would have to do the foundation course then progress/transfer onto my main course which is 3 years. my worry is because I started at Portsmouth and got some of my loan... that I won't get funding for the whole 4 years. if I can't I can't go as my family can't afford it without help
Original post by ThatGirlSarah
I would have to do the foundation course then progress/transfer onto my main course which is 3 years. my worry is because I started at Portsmouth and got some of my loan... that I won't get funding for the whole 4 years. if I can't I can't go as my family can't afford it without help

Hi

If you are studying a standalone Foundation Course this is not designated for Higher Education Support and as such is not eligible for funding, you can speak to the College/University they may have funding or direct you to other funding available.

Thanks

Catherine
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending