The Student Room Group

Studying for A-Level (SNAB) Biology

Hi!
Anyone else doing the Salter-Nuffield A-Level Biology?
Can anyone please give me tips on revision, please? I really struggle with it, especially calculations.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks! :smile:
Original post by ShaunMcCrimmon
Hi!
Anyone else doing the Salter-Nuffield A-Level Biology?
Can anyone please give me tips on revision, please? I really struggle with it, especially calculations.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks! :smile:

Have you been given a revision guide to work from? That may help so maybe ask your teachers for that. What bits are you struggling with specifically and what about the calculations is difficult?
Original post by alleycat393
Have you been given a revision guide to work from? That may help so maybe ask your teachers for that. What bits are you struggling with specifically and what about the calculations is difficult?

Hi,
I have four revision guides, my own notes and notes from others. Mostly, though, I think it's plants. They just make no sense. And its all calculations - I'm not very good with maths.
Thanks.
Hi,
I have four revision guides, my own notes and notes from others. Mostly, though, I think it's plants. They just make no sense. And its all calculations - I'm not very good with maths.
Thanks.

That's plenty so it really is a question of working out a technique and getting on with it. In my experience is someone says a whole topic doesn't make sense then they haven't really tried. What is it about plants that doesn't make sense? And what calculations?
That's plenty so it really is a question of working out a technique and getting on with it. In my experience is someone says a whole topic doesn't make sense then they haven't really tried. What is it about plants that doesn't make sense? And what calculations?

It's all of the calculations in the SNAB curriculum. I understand plants to some extent, but it's mainly the long words which always slip my mind, and the difference between xylem and phloem.
It's all of the calculations in the SNAB curriculum. I understand plants to some extent, but it's mainly the long words which always slip my mind, and the difference between xylem and phloem.

Sorry again it sounds like a mind block which you will need to work through. Once you understand what you're doing and why it will become second nature. Spend some time doing some basic calculations first, understanding the formulae and the science behind them and then practise.

Now you seem to be getting to the bottom of the plants issue. If words are difficult, make a list with definitions and stick them on your wall. Then read through them daily before bed or something. Make a table comparing xylem and phloem. Like I said before it's about techniques. Just connecting your two threads it sounds like paramedical science is what you're interested in which is full of big words and stuff you have to remember in stressful situations so having strategies helps.
(edited 6 years ago)
Sorry again it sounds like a mind block which you will need to work through. Once you understand what you're doing and why it will become second nature. Spend some time doing some basic calculations first, understanding the formulae and the science behind them and then practise.

Now you seem to be getting to the bottom of the plants issue. If words are difficult, make a list with definitions and stick them on your wall. Then read through them daily before bed or something. Make a table comparing xylem and phloem. Like I said before it's about techniques. Just connecting your two therads it sounds like paramedical science is what you're interested in which is full of big words and stuff you have to remember in stressful situations so having strategies helps.

Thank you so much for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending