The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP!!! What unis offer foundation in ENGINEERING?

I have decided last minute, that I'd like to do Engineering at uni(any type tbh). But i am not doing higher maths or physics or even chemistry.

What universities offer foundation courses in engineering???
Original post by Skuuuudent
I have decided last minute, that I'd like to do Engineering at uni(any type tbh). But i am not doing higher maths or physics or even chemistry.

What universities offer foundation courses in engineering???

what higher courses are you doing and what grades do you expect to get?
Original post by claireestelle
what higher courses are you doing and what grades do you expect to get?

In scotland, doing higher Biology , English, Modern studies and Graphic communication. And National 5 Maths.

Expecting A in all and B IN Modern studies
(edited 6 years ago)
Search "Engineering foundation" in the UCAS course finder and voila
My uni (Cardiff) does.
In scotland, doing higher Biology , English, Modern studies and Graphic communication. And National 5 Maths.

A lot of english universities would want advanced highers rather than highers from a quick look, so you'll have to look at places that take low ucas points and see if they'll accept you like huddersfield.
Apologies to hijack again, but OP would be eligible to Cardiff - "36-32 points or 666-665 in 3 Higher Level subjects. You must not be studying Mathematics at Higher Level."

It's one of the few departments I can honestly recommend, and seems within your boundaries.
Original post by CastCuraga
Apologies to hijack again, but OP would be eligible to Cardiff - "36-32 points or 666-665 in 3 Higher Level subjects. You must not be studying Mathematics at Higher Level."

It's one of the few departments I can honestly recommend, and seems within your boundaries.

I can't imagine a Scottish student would particularly want to spend ~£40k on tuition fees...
Original post by Helloworld_95
I can't imagine a Scottish student would particularly want to spend ~£40k on tuition fees...

I wouldn't either, but they'll probably have to since I'm not aware of any Scottish uni offering foundation Engineering

I'm not sure if foundation years are offered by Scottish universities. You might look into the HNC, HND etc. route.
Original post by Smack
I'm not sure if foundation years are offered by Scottish universities. You might look into the HNC, HND etc. route.

I've obviously checked that route, I'd have to do a NC then HNC, which is an extra UNFUNDED year at College and I really don't have that time.
Reply 12
I've obviously checked that route, I'd have to do a NC then HNC, which is an extra UNFUNDED year at College and I really don't have that time.

Maybe a Foundation Year at an English/Welsh university, and then transfer back to Scotland to complete your course?

By the way, you are a year younger for universities outside Scotland anyway... so it's not as if you don't "have that time".

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Maybe a Foundation Year at an English/Welsh university, and then transfer back to Scotland to complete your course?

By the way, you are a year younger for universities outside Scotland anyway... so it's not as if you don't "have that time".

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's worth noting if you go down this route you will likely need a higher grade/percentage requirement than your foundation uni.

I'm currently going through this process myself so I've asked a good number of Scottish unis about transfer requirements (assuming 40% is a progression rate) :

- Edinburgh asks for 65%.
- Aberdeen asks for "around 50%".
- Glasgow asks for around 55%.
- St. A apparently doesn't accept transfers.
- Dundee asks for 50%.
Reply 14
It's worth noting if you go down this route you will likely need a higher grade/percentage requirement than your foundation uni.

I'm currently going through this process myself so I've asked a good number of Scottish unis about transfer requirements (assuming 40% is a progression rate) :

- Edinburgh asks for 65%.
- Aberdeen asks for "around 50%".
- Glasgow asks for around 55%.
- St. A apparently doesn't accept transfers.
- Dundee asks for 50%.

Nice research :smile:

Are you Scottish?
Nice research :smile:

Are you Scottish?

Thank you :smile:

No, Irish though - and just eager to study in Scotland :tongue:

Now you mention it though it could be a little different for Scottish students transferring, unfortunately not familiar with it if it is!
Reply 16
Thank you :smile:

No, Irish though - and just eager to study in Scotland :tongue:

Now you mention it though it could be a little different for Scottish students transferring, unfortunately not familiar with it if it is!

If you are southern Irish (EU) I'd imagine it would be similar for a Scottish student (i.e. the same tuition fee quotas would apply in both cases).
If you are southern Irish (EU) I'd imagine it would be similar for a Scottish student (i.e. the same tuition fee quotas would apply in both cases).

Ah, I am Southern Irish so yes for the OP the same info should still apply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending