The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Maths interview

Does anyone know of any good tutors who are good at prepping for oxbridge maths interview?
Reply 1
If you think wasting your money will help you get in, then you're probably not smart enough.
Reply 2
Original post by StayWoke
If you think wasting your money will help you get in, then you're probably not smart enough.

for someone who cant even make bmo2, u really shouldnt be talking.
Original post by divermat
Does anyone know of any good tutors who are good at prepping for oxbridge maths interview?

Aren't your school organising practice interviews etc?
Reply 4
for someone who cant even make bmo2, u really shouldnt be talking.

I'm in year 12 and haven't even sat bmo1 yet, please calm yourself rakesh, my point above still stands
Do STEP.
Reply 6
Original post by Andy Lau
Do STEP.

I will try that, thanks.
Getting a tutor for the interview itself certainly will not help anything. What could happen is you get someone who believes that the interview is all about questions like "why do you love your subject" and "what have you done to show that you love maths" and "what sort of person would you say you are". If someone expects these sort of questions then they are in for a massive shock when they actually have the interview. It's all about solving complex problems, working the problems, HOW you react to unknown and difficult contexts/questions - how you get to the answer.

But as said above, practice STEP over and over again until you get it. It is often a heavily underestimated exam. It's very difficult. Something like over 50% of people fail the STEP even when they get an offer.
Reply 8
Original post by RedGiant
Getting a tutor for the interview itself certainly will not help anything. What could happen is you get someone who believes that the interview is all about questions like "why do you love your subject" and "what have you done to show that you love maths" and "what sort of person would you say you are". If someone expects these sort of questions then they are in for a massive shock when they actually have the interview. It's all about solving complex problems, working the problems, HOW you react to unknown and difficult contexts/questions - how you get to the answer.

But as said above, practice STEP over and over again until you get it. It is often a heavily underestimated exam. It's very difficult. Something like over 50% of people fail the STEP even when they get an offer.

which step to be exact?
Reply 9
which step to be exact?

STEP I might help for interviews. Also MAT.

Basically, do lots of hard maths....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Doonesbury
STEP I might help for interviews. Also MAT.

Basically, do lots of hard maths....

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the end of the interview, the tutors as you if you have any questions. Would it make a difference if you ask what they had for breakfast or something like what is your research area/ interesting question about your subject.
Reply 11
I'm in year 12 and haven't even sat bmo1 yet, please calm yourself rakesh, my point above still stands

it's okay dont be defensive, we get it , u are in year 12 and u havent made bmo2, dont feel bad.
Reply 12
At the end of the interview, the tutors as you if you have any questions. Would it make a difference if you ask what they had for breakfast or something like what is your research area/ interesting question about your subject.

If your one chance of interacting with a leading researcher/fellow in your field of interest is to ask them what they had for breakfast then no it won't make a difference.
Reply 13
Original post by Doonesbury
If your one chance of interacting with a leading researcher/fellow in your field of interest is to ask them what they had for breakfast then no it won't make a difference.

If I get in there are plenty of time to ask these questions. I am just asking does the question askd affect ur chances.
Reply 14
it's okay dont be defensive, we get it , u are in year 12 and u havent made bmo2, dont feel bad.

Sandeep, based on the questions you're asking, you don't have much to gloat about either.
Reply 15
Sandeep, based on the questions you're asking, you don't have much to gloat about either.

why are u calling me indian names? still more than u kiddo
Reply 16
If I get in there are plenty of time to ask these questions. I am just asking does the question askd affect ur chances.

Nope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending