The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who doesn't think the uni marking system is fair?

You only have one chance to get a high grade. If you fail then you have to resit and you get capped to 40% which is the lowest pass.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, just do the work first time around. Why should standards be lowered just to let you get a good score on your second attempt?
Reply 2
Original post by Sam25A
You only have one chance to get a high grade. If you fail then you have to resit and you get capped to 40% which is the lowest pass.

I think they should change that and If you pass the first time then you should be given the chance to get a higher grade if you want to. Who agrees?

In college you have as many attempts as it takes to pass but for merits and distinctions you only get 2 chances which is fair but in uni you only have 1 chance or you're capped to 40%

Or, get yourself into the real world where you only have one chance.
Original post by Sam25A

I think they should change that and If you pass the first time then you should be given the chance to get a higher grade if you want to. Who agrees?

In college you have as many attempts as it takes to pass but for merits and distinctions you only get 2 chances which is fair but in uni you only have 1 chance or you're capped to 40%

Try second chance at work in an environment where getting it wrong, or not-quite-right, means the difference between life and death.

Many corporations use the working mantra of "Right First Time". Better get used to it.

Spoiler

Looks like you are the only one OP.
Original post by Sam25A

I think your responses are being unfair. I did part of a Masters degree after years and years out of academia. I worked so bloody hard yet still failed my first assignments so had to rethink everything. Because I had failed I was capped at 40% yet my final essays were good enough for publication in peer reviewed journals. Not fair.
Original post by Sam25A

Have you spoken to your course rep about this?

The rules on retakes at your university are set BY your university. Moaning on TSR wont change them. A considered case from the course rep might.
Reply 7
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I think your responses are being unfair. I did part of a Masters degree after years and years out of academia. I worked so bloody hard yet still failed my first assignments so had to rethink everything. Because I had failed I was capped at 40% yet my final essays were good enough for publication in peer reviewed journals. Not fair.

Why isn't it fair? There was obviously a strong progression in your style in order for this to be the case. It's unfortunate for you but it's not inherently unfair.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
Why isn't it fair? There was obviously a strong progression in your style in order for this to be the case. It's unfortunate for you but it's not inherently unfair.

Because I wasn't told how to write the essays in the style they wanted. They decided to change the marking system for the cohort that I was in. I had looked at previous candidates work and felt that I had done just as good - if not better - job.

When I got my first ones back - the fails, I was told how they wanted them to be done and it was very different. I just feel that if I had been given the correct information to begin with, it would have been fairer.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that much, but if you are going to move the goalposts, at least inform people.
Reply 9
Because I wasn't told how to write the essays in the style they wanted. They decided to change the marking system for the cohort that I was in. I had looked at previous candidates work and felt that I had done just as good - if not better - job.

When I got my first ones back - the fails, I was told how they wanted them to be done and it was very different. I just feel that if I had been given the correct information to begin with, it would have been fairer.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that much, but if you are going to move the goalposts, at least inform people.

That is a very specific set of circumstances that is definitely not usual. You are right that it isn't fair (to any of your cohort, actually). Did you challenge these grades on the bases you have given here? I hope you did.
Original post by gjd800
That is a very specific set of circumstances that is definitely not usual. You are right that it isn't fair (to any of your cohort, actually). Did you challenge these grades on the bases you have given here? I hope you did.

I certainly did and what they said was that their decision was final. I was not allowed to question the marking system. Peed off to say the least. It has put me off academia for life.

Then your complaint isn't the marking system, it's the process in the background.
Reply 12
I certainly did and what they said was that their decision was final. I was not allowed to question the marking system. Peed off to say the least. It has put me off academia for life.

That is an outrageous response after changing the scheme last-minute.
Reply 13
Original post by Drewski
Then your complaint isn't the marking system, it's the process in the background.

Yes, this is true. It is out of order, in any case.
Reply 14
Then get it right the first time. This isn't A-Levels where you're allowed retakes where you can improve your grade.

Don't fail then, passing at 40% should be doable with the right preparation. I think it's absolutely fair, it weeds out the people who don't give a crap and then think they're entitled to a second pop at getting a good grade.
Original post by Sam25A

I'm not sure how it is with your degree but on my degree the exams are doable if you know your content and have completed all the assignments properly. The way the university sees it is that if you were smart enough to get in to university then you are clearly capable of getting good marks on the first attempt of a exam.

Besides, it isn't even that hard to get a low 2:1 or 2:2.
Original post by Sam25A

If there were no penalty, then wouldn't everyone take each exam multiple times and take the best result? University isn't meant to be easy, and a degree is not something to which you're entitled.
Original post by gjd800
No, just do the work first time around. Why should standards be lowered just to let you get a good score on your second attempt?

I don't know, maybe because there are other factors than work ethics that affect exam performance, but I'm not sure.

Nevertheless, people sheit on the system, but no one seems to be able to suggest a better one, so it'll have to do for now.
Reply 18
Original post by frostyy
I don't know, maybe because there are other factors than work ethics that affect exam performance, but I'm not sure.

Nevertheless, people sheit on the system, but no one seems to be able to suggest a better one, so it'll have to do for now.

There are - that is what a mitigating circs board is for.
What I think is more unfair is how subjective the marking is between different lecturer's. Often at my university I get the harsher lecturers marking my word where as some of my less studious friends get the nicer markers. I put in 110% every time though so I'm always scoring a very high percentile, indeed.

Quick Reply

Latest