The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Advice Needed: Manchester Chemical Engineering Interview- 8th November

Hiya, this thread is quite old now. If you'd like to ask a new question about Chemical Engineering interviews and/or Manchester, please click here to start a new discussion.

Hi,
I have a chemical engineering interview at Manchester Uni in a couple of days and I have a few questions. What building do you have to turn up to at the beginning of the day? The Mill as it's the departmental building or is there somewhere else you're needed to go to? What was the interview like and how did it go? Did they ask any difficult questions or anything like that?
Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by evan_davies
Hi,
I have a chemical engineering interview at Manchester Uni in a couple of days and I have a few questions. What building do you have to turn up to at the beginning of the day? The Mill as it's the departmental building or is there somewhere else you're needed to go to? What was the interview like and how did it go? Did they ask any difficult questions or anything like that?
Thanks

How was it. What type of questions did they ask
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by HamzaQureshi777
How was it. What type of questions did they ask

It was alright in the end, got an offer a couple of days after. Just general interview questions on why you want to do the course etc. They will ask you a Maths based but it isn't anything you shouldn't be able to do if you take A level Maths. Hope this helps
It was alright in the end, got an offer a couple of days after. Just general interview questions on why you want to do the course etc. They will ask you a Maths based but it isn't anything you shouldn't be able to do if you take A level Maths. Hope this helps

What were your predicted grades
Reply 4
What were your predicted grades

For the course the entry grades were AAA and my offer was for AAA also, even though my predicted are AAB (I didn't have a so good AS).
For the course the entry grades were AAA and my offer was for AAA also, even though my predicted are AAB (I didn't have a so good AS).

Ah Ok, how long was the interview and what maths questions did they ask?
Reply 6
Ah Ok, how long was the interview and what maths questions did they ask?

It was about 10 minutes or so, it was quite relaxed. The questions varied, my question was different to some other people I spoke to. Don't be worried about it, they just want to see that you approach the problem in a logical way and that you have an idea what you're doing, they talk you through the question also.
It was about 10 minutes or so, it was quite relaxed. The questions varied, my question was different to some other people I spoke to. Don't be worried about it, they just want to see that you approach the problem in a logical way and that you have an idea what you're doing, they talk you through the question also.

Sounds good, I hope you enjoy it. When did you send your application off, was it in mid October time?
Well I had mine this year Feb2019.
It was alright , I was incredibly nervous but I got the offer after about 5 days.

Q's asked:
Why the area Manchester?
Why Manchester university for chem engineering ?
How does Manchester teach their course?
Chemical engineering Vs Chemistry?
1 maths Q draw graph lnx/x.
What skills does a chemical engineer need?
What skills do I have ?
What can I bring to the uni?
I had mine 2 days ago. I'm not sure i got in because i got so confused about the maths question. Maybe because i was nervous as hell.. idk i kinda am curious how many dont get accepted after interview. Because I feel like I'm one of them. Ive been so depressed since the interview. Will find out soon though but so nervous about opening ucas track...
Original post by sbrooks22
I had mine 2 days ago. I'm not sure i got in because i got so confused about the maths question. Maybe because i was nervous as hell.. idk i kinda am curious how many dont get accepted after interview. Because I feel like I'm one of them. Ive been so depressed since the interview. Will find out soon though but so nervous about opening ucas track...

Hi I have I was wondering if you got in or not. I have an interview in the next couple days and I'm a bit worried so it would be nice to know how it worked for you. Also what subjects/grades did u have?
Can I ask what you're applying for? I've got an interview on the 6 Nov. for Pharmacology (biological science faculty)
Original post by Mollie14
Can I ask what you're applying for? I've got an interview on the 6 Nov. for Pharmacology (biological science faculty)

Chemical Engineering
Original post by Mathstermind
Chemical Engineering

Oh, ours will be run by different faculties then, good luck!!
Original post by Mathstermind
Hi I have I was wondering if you got in or not. I have an interview in the next couple days and I'm a bit worried so it would be nice to know how it worked for you. Also what subjects/grades did u have?

Hey, i'm applying for ChemEng too and was wondering how the interview went and if you got a place. Mine is on the Nov 27th so I must be pretty late to the party. What questions did they ask?
Original post by Diplomático
Hey, i'm applying for ChemEng too and was wondering how the interview went and if you got a place. Mine is on the Nov 27th so I must be pretty late to the party. What questions did they ask?

Hi, sorry no-one replied to you but how did it go?! Was it quite relaxed or did they just bombard you with impossible questions?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, sorry no-one replied to you but how did it go?! Was it quite relaxed or did they just bombard you with impossible questions?

Went well. Got asked one maths question which was fine and the chem eng questions were nothing too hard. I know a bit more than the average person about chem eng so i found it super easy. I would recommend you read whats in the first year of the course. I got my offer the week after but they should usually give it in the next three days, apparently the offer guy was on holiday.
I have just has my interview for chemical engineering a couple days ago. They start off with a 1 hour presentation about the course, mine was in the Alan Turing building. Then they take you on a campus tour for an hour and they provide lunch for another hour. After this they took us to a room where we waited to have our interviews.Questions:What/Why Chemical Engineering?What skills does a chemical engineer possess?Difference between chemistry and chemical engineering?Then they ask a technical question about chemistry and maths. Some people get harder questions but one thing the students in the 4th year told us was to spend as long as you can talking on the first questions so they don’t have enough time for the technical questions. Also, think out loud so even if you don’t know the answer for the technical question, just say what you are thinking so they can see how you work your way around to solve a problem. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Moh4zeem
I have just has my interview for chemical engineering a couple days ago. They start off with a 1 hour presentation about the course, mine was in the Alan Turing building. Then they take you on a campus tour for an hour and they provide lunch for another hour. After this they took us to a room where we waited to have our interviews.Questions:What/Why Chemical Engineering?What skills does a chemical engineer possess?Difference between chemistry and chemical engineering?Then they ask a technical question about chemistry and maths. Some people get harder questions but one thing the students in the 4th year told us was to spend as long as you can talking on the first questions so they don’t have enough time for the technical questions. Also, think out loud so even if you don’t know the answer for the technical question, just say what you are thinking so they can see how you work your way around to solve a problem. :smile:

Hi I've got an interview in 2 days. What sort of maths questions do they ask. As or A2 pure? And how do I prepare for them.
Original post by Nioon5
Hi I've got an interview in 2 days. What sort of maths questions do they ask. As or A2 pure? And how do I prepare for them.

You can’t really prepare for them. They just want to see how you can work through a problem you have never seen.

Latest

Trending

Trending