The Student Room Group

A degree or 50 grand in cash

What would you rather have the degree you're studying right now or £50,000 in cash. Talking particular to non STEM and medicine/dentistry peps

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dominoes
What would you rather have the degree you're studying right now or £50,000 in cash. Talking particular to non STEM and medicine/dentistry peps

I would take the degree, then I can make back the 50k within a few years.
Same as the above poster. I have no loans to pay back (medicine) and I will have made that back and more in about 3 years!

take the £50k
Reply 4
50k isn't a high amount enough amount with which you can make some decent investments. So I will go for the degree.
As a philosophy student I think I'd be far better off getting money thrown at me.
Reply 6
I'd take the cash, hate my degree lol
The money
Take the £50,000, do an OU course and get a degree and about £35k left :wink:

Original post by UWS

If you could still go on to study the degree, I would definitely take the cash.
Reply 10
Degree.
Definitely take the degree. I love my degree, and my earning potential is much higher than that.
My degree costs more than 50k
Original post by UWS
That's what they have you believe. So many graduates don't make **** for a long time.

I'd have taken the money and completed the degree myself, when I was at uni. That would have kept me going while working, and maybe would have funded a postgrad degree too.
Reply 14
Original post by Tootles
That's what they have you believe. So many graduates don't make **** for a long time.

I'd have taken the money and completed the degree myself, when I was at uni. That would have kept me going while working, and maybe would have funded a postgrad degree too.

I guess I'm speaking in hindsight since I've already completed my degree and I'm on a decent enough salary to make the 50k option offered to me in 2-3 years.
Does the degree come free of loans and with free maintenance? If not, then wouldnt the money be better and you could reinvest it in a degree if you wished?

If the degree was free then is the argument just is it worth the money? In which case it is to some and in some cases it is most definitely not.

You can still make significant progress without a degree and pursuing education through other means.
Original post by UWS
I guess I'm speaking in hindsight since I've already completed my degree and I'm on a decent enough salary to make the 50k option offered to me in 2-3 years.

Are you in banking?
Reply 17
Original post by Wired_1800
Are you in banking?

Graduated with a degree in Computer Science, I'm in DevOps now.

Dangit. I'm a CompSci/Data Analytics guy. I was going to say "Uh. My degree. Clearly."
Money and invest in my own company - idk man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending