The Student Room Group

Has anyone taken Mirtazapine?

I am a first year university student. I have been prescribed Mirtazapine (15mg) for depressive disorder. I have been prescribed 4 different SSRI medications and an antipsychotic (aripiprazole) in the past. Unfortunately I still present depressive symptoms. Has anyone had relief or success on Mirtazapine?
Hi - I really don't want to be a dampener because obviously medication works differently for different people but from my personal experience so far it hasn't really been effective :/ I've been on Mirtazapine (30mg) since roundabout last December but I am still unsure as to whether it has had a significant effect - for sure it has really helped with my poor sleep so that's one upside. I think I recall my psychiatrist saying there may be potential weight gain from food cravings but I don't 'think' I have personally been afflicted with a significant increase. My psychiatrist did recently say however that she might up my dose to 45mg - so there may still be hope?
Original post by phee_cross
Hi - I really don't want to be a dampener because obviously medication works differently for different people but from my personal experience so far it hasn't really been effective :/ I've been on Mirtazapine (30mg) since roundabout last December but I am still unsure as to whether it has had a significant effect - for sure it has really helped with my poor sleep so that's one upside. I think I recall my psychiatrist saying there may be potential weight gain from food cravings but I don't 'think' I have personally been afflicted with a significant increase. My psychiatrist did recently say however that she might up my dose to 45mg - so there may still be hope?

That is a huge shame, so sorry to hear of your struggles. I was hoping the medication would at least balance my mood a little.
Original post by PrincessLemonade
That is a huge shame, so sorry to hear of your struggles. I was hoping the medication would at least balance my mood a little.

Ah no not at all. I do want to clarify that although it didn't work for me I certainly can't speak on behalf of everyone - my psychiatrist recommended it to me in the first place because she said that most patients were successful on mirtazapine - just many were put off by the potential side effects. So who knows with time maybe it can help - I'm still putting my faith in it so I think it's a matter of patience. Best of luck x
I am a first year university student. I have been prescribed Mirtazapine (15mg) for depressive disorder. I have been prescribed 4 different SSRI medications and an antipsychotic (aripiprazole) in the past. Unfortunately I still present depressive symptoms. Has anyone had relief or success on Mirtazapine?

Mirtazapine 45mg really helped me when I had depression years ago but quit working altogether one day after about three years of taking it. Made me sleepy at lower doses and I put on a bit of weight but you can minimize that by eating stuff like carrots or other veggies rather than crisps for example as it does tend to make people more hungry.

Good luck. :smile:
Thank you all. I took my first dose last night and as expected I have struggled greatly to wake up and I do feel sedated! I am happy to persevere through through the side effects.
Reply 6

I was on it but it didn't help. Then I went on Sertraline and that didn't help.
I tried Citalopram for about 6 months and that one was the best out of those three but it my clinical depression returned after the 6 months and the citalopram wasn't working anymore.

I've now been on Venlafaxine for 2 years and it is the best out of all of them.
Original post by Sabertooth
Mirtazapine 45mg really helped me when I had depression years ago but quit working altogether one day after about three years of taking it. Made me sleepy at lower doses and I put on a bit of weight but you can minimize that by eating stuff like carrots or other veggies rather than crisps for example as it does tend to make people more hungry.

Good luck. :smile:

That happened to me as well three years ago when I took it and when I look at any pictures of myself from 2014, I look like I'm training to be a sumo wrestler.

Luckily I'm long since back to a state where I don't need mirtazapine any longer. :smile:
Reply 8

It was brilliant for me! I was on it for around 3-4 years and it helped no end with my depressive symptoms. Made me sleep loads though :lol:
Original post by Deyesy
It was brilliant for me! I was on it for around 3-4 years and it helped no end with my depressive symptoms. Made me sleep loads though :lol:

Did it make you gain loads of weight?
Reply 10
Original post by Dental Monkey
Did it make you gain loads of weight?

I was an anomally with that. I didn't gain any :redface:
Original post by Deyesy
I was an anomally with that. I didn't gain any :redface:

I was surprised when I ended up gaining lots, as I kept getting diarrhoea too, only stopped when the pills were finally withdrawn.
I'm currently on Mirtazapine but only 2 weeks so far.

I've switched from Sertraline to Mirtazapine because the Sert just stopped me from sleeping and did absolutely nothing to improve my mood. In fact, since I wasn't sleeping it probably made my mood even worse. My first dose of Mirtazapine helped with my sleep. You need to take it before bed because it will make you drowsy- the smaller the dose, the more sedating it is (weird, I know). For me personally, it hasn't made me so drowsy that I can't function. I just take it before I go to bed, wake up when I need to, have some coffee and breakfast and feel fine. However I do know some people that haven't been able to keep their eyes open the next day, so be careful and don't do any driving until you know how it affects you.

Overall I feel it has improved my mood but that might just be because of the improved sleep, since I've only been on it for 2 weeks.
I'd like to revisit this thread and say that although I have not been on this medication very long, it does seem to have a bit of an effect on my mood and I am coping with stress much, much better. I feel like I can get through the day and be functional and productive, which I have not felt in a long while. I know it is early days so I am wondering if it is a placebo effect!
I'd like to revisit this thread and say that although I have not been on this medication very long, it does seem to have a bit of an effect on my mood and I am coping with stress much, much better. I feel like I can get through the day and be functional and productive, which I have not felt in a long while. I know it is early days so I am wondering if it is a placebo effect!

Well, if it's a placebo effect who cares? :biggrin: At least you're feeling better! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest