The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are people NOT homophobic??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
You do know until relatively recently the bulk of the medical profession [ irrespective of religion] considered them to be mentally defective? Equally how are they themselves ill?

Yeah because of the influence of historical christian values which taught that being gay was unnatural or wrong.The religious themselves could be considered mentally ill because they regularly talk to an invisible being that nobody else can see.That is not the action of a sane person.If one person does it its considered mad but if lots of people do it you're just religious.
Reply 401
Original post by Robby2312
Yeah because of the influence of historical christian values which taught that being gay was unnatural or wrong.The religious themselves could be considered mentally ill because they regularly talk to an invisible being that nobody else can see.That is not the action of a sane person.If one person does it its considered mad but if lots of people do it you're just religious.

I would point out that a distaste for gays predates Christianity by quite some time..
Hang on are you saying that religious people in of themselves are crazy or that because they generally find homosexuality an abomination theyre crazy? Because I was questioning the latter, not the former.
Original post by shadowdweller
You gave an example of 3 shows, of which I selected 2 main characters; they are neither unknown, nor out of 100 shows, simply 1 show out of 2 you mentioned.

It’s not remotely false, I specified a character, and you only tried to turn it to something else once we’d verified that both characters meet your criteria. As does, for example, Connie from Holly City.

Incidentally, I’d also argue that this doesn’t, in fact, need to be the way this is argued - why are we disputing whether Religious or LGBT+ people are represented most right now, when we could instead be pushing for both to have better representation?

I think you misunderstood my point then as I was not restricting your search to the 3 shows I merely used as examples. Doing that itself, I would find unfair on you, so I would never state that. You are free to look at all shows similar to those 3.

Now, considering your response based on your misenderstanding, you still failed to prove the 3 yeses if 2 non-main characters being highlighted in ONE episode is what you can come up with from 3 shows that which would probably have over 5,000 episodes in the last 20 years. All you have to look at to confirm your failure is the number of pro-homosexual characters and episodes they would have had in the same period. Start with looking at which one out of the 3 does not have homosexual main-characters. .................................NONE!

You are free to expand your search beyond the 3 shows and present your evidence if you want. That is, if you free to waste your time searching for a unicorn with a man's beard.

As for your last statement, I think in your desperation, in the face of the valley of hopeless search, you have forgotten why I raised the issue. It is to prove that the media and entertainment industry are heavily bias and have a pro-homosexuality agenda, not to complain religion is not represented.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Texxers
They love shoving their agenda up people's throats. Their little marches and anti-biological nature.

Gosh, those darn tootin' coloured folk marchin' down 'ere streets for them 'civil rights' shovin' their 'equality' agenda down ma throat. Why ain't people ignorant an' backward like me...

Stop being bothered by it. It is not an issue unless you make it an issue.
Original post by RoyalBeams
I think you misunderstood my point then as I was not restricting your search to the 3 shows I merely used as examples. Doing that itself, I would find unfair on you, so I would never state that. You are free to look at all shows similar to those 3.

Now, considering your response based on your misenderstanding, you still failed to prove the 3 yeses if 2 non-main characters being highlighted in ONE episode is what you can come up with from 3 shows that which would probably have over 5,000 episodes in the last 20 years. All you have to look at to confirm your failure is the number of pro-homosexual characters and episodes they would have had in the same period. Start with looking at which one out of the 3 does not have homosexual main-characters. .................................NONE!

You are free to expand your search beyond the 3 shows and present your evidence if you want. That is, if you free to waste your time searching for a unicorn with a man's beard.

As for your last statement, I think in your desperation, in the face of the valley of hopeless search, you have forgotten why I raised the issue. It is to prove that the media and entertainment industry are heavily bias and have a pro-homosexuality agenda, not to complain religion is not represented.

I specifically stated that both were main characters not non-main, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from, as is the 3rd example I just gave. Similarly, all 3 have had long-running storylines around their religion not a single one so again, all 3 of your criteria are met.

Right, but comparing it to Religion doesn't remotely prove that LGBT+ is over represented, it is still vastly underrepresented. At the absolute best, you can say that religion is underrepresented in comparison, which still doesn't do anything to show that LGBT+ is over-represented, so I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve here.
I specifically stated that both were main characters not non-main, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from, as is the 3rd example I just gave. Similarly, all 3 have had long-running storylines around their religion not a single one so again, all 3 of your criteria are met.

Being able to point out ONE character out of the, at least, 50 TV shows with an average of 20 or so yearly episodes each over 30 years does not satisfy my criteria.

That is roughly 50x20x30 = 30,000 episodes you were able to only point to ONE episode you know of that was religious focus.

Please cut the crap. I can easily find ONE individual in Saudi Arabia that is nice to an homosexual and, like you, claim that homosexuals are liked and tolerated in Saudi.

Right, but comparing it to Religion doesn't remotely prove that LGBT+ is over represented, it is still vastly underrepresented. At the absolute best, you can say that religion is underrepresented in comparison, which still doesn't do anything to show that LGBT+ is over-represented, so I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve here.

First of all, I have never said it is over-represented. I have never studied the data or seen an article to make me say that.

What I have said is that it is highly prominent, unlike religious characters.

Don't try a strawman on me again.

Now, I see you somewhat agree with me that it is more represented than religion.

That was my argument. Considering that there are more religious people than homosexuals, why would homosexuals be more represented on TV than religious people except the gatekeepers have an agenda?

That is the point about the pro-homosexual agenda of the liberals running TV, media and entertainment.
Reply 406
Original post by Texxers
Honestly, I don't see why people actually support the LGBT community. I don't see why it's so frowned upon for me to express my opinions on this issue. Just wanted to see what other TSR members thought of it..

And no I don't hide myself under Anon ever when it comes to controversial topics.

Why is this question still on TSR?
*Hate speech
Reply 407
Being able to point out ONE character out of the, at least, 50 TV shows with an average of 20 or so yearly episodes each over 30 years does not satisfy my criteria.

That is roughly 50x20x30 = 30,000 episodes you were able to only point to ONE episode you know of that was religious focus.

Please cut the crap. I can easily find ONE individual in Saudi Arabia that is nice to an homosexual and, like you, claim that homosexuals are liked and tolerated in Saudi.

First of all, I have never said it is over-represented. I have never studied the data or seen an article to make me say that.

Now, I see you somewhat agree with me that it is more represented than religion.

That was my argument. Considering that there are more religious people than homosexuals, why would homosexuals be more represented on TV than religious people except the gatekeepers have an agenda?

That is the point about the pro-homosexual agenda of the liberals running TV, media and entertainment.

Because religion is far more prominent across the world than homosexuality is. When there is a major group, especially one growing in size as more people decide not to hide their true self, there does need to be more representation. I don't think just because there are gay characters on TV that it means suddenly they have an ulterior agenda. Any group gets largely represented for a while until it disappears. and the next big thing comes along. The only reason you really notice is that you are looking out for specific characters when sexuality isn't very important for most shows, and certainly most episodes don't delve into it.

Again, that's now the 3rd, and that's off the top of my head, not with actually looking into it, so I'm not sure why you keep implying that those are the only characters; your initial challenge seemed to imply you thought there wouldn't be any, which has already been disputed. Additionally, I have absolutely no idea where you're getting this 'one episode' figure from; the character had one episode where she was literally the only character and was talking specifically about her faith, but she's had many more around her religion, and the other two characters I mentioned likewise had long-standing story lines about their faith, so this one episode lark is really turning into a bit of a strawman, given I've already explained this.

"It is to prove that the media and entertainment industry are heavily bias and have a pro-homosexuality agenda" - perhaps not stating it's overrepresented then, but certainly far from the truth. LGBT+ continues to be underrepresented in terms of both numbers and positive representation, and you have yet to do anything to dispute this, besides try and compare it to religion on tv, which doesn't achieve that goal.

I don't remotely agree with you that it's more represented than religion, more the point is that whether it is or not is wholly irrelevant to the question of whether homosexuality has enough positive representation on tv. If you want to question if faith needs more discussion on television then that's ultimately a separate debate to this.
Op is a closet fag who is externalising his own problems tbh
Again, that's now the 3rd, and that's off the top of my head, not with actually looking into it, so I'm not sure why you keep implying that those are the only characters; your initial challenge seemed to imply you thought there wouldn't be any, which has already been disputed. Additionally, I have absolutely no idea where you're getting this 'one episode' figure from; the character had one episode where she was literally the only character and was talking specifically about her faith, but she's had many more around her religion, and the other two characters I mentioned likewise had long-standing story lines about their faith, so this one episode lark is really turning into a bit of a strawman, given I've already explained this.

What is now the 3rd? Can't see anything.

I never thought there would not be any and, No, at no stage have I implied those are the only characters. Strawman much? I have only stated those are the only ones you could come up with because of scarcity.

Saying something is far less is not the same thing as saying 'none' except to a strawman thrower.

What I have implied is that there are far more homosexual main characters and homosexuality issues on TV than religious ones, which you have failed to disprove. You actually kind of agreed eventually.

"It is to prove that the media and entertainment industry are heavily bias and have a pro-homosexuality agenda" - perhaps not stating it's overrepresented then, but certainly far from the truth. LGBT+ continues to be underrepresented in terms of both numbers and positive representation, and you have yet to do anything to dispute this, besides try and compare it to religion on tv, which doesn't achieve that goal.

I don't remotely agree with you that it's more represented than religion, more the point is that whether it is or not is wholly irrelevant to the question of whether homosexuality has enough positive representation on tv. If you want to question if faith needs more discussion on television then that's ultimately a separate debate to this.

I don't dispute things I am not arguing about. Please cut this crap of trying to deflect the argument because you cannot disprove my point you challenged.

If you don't agree religion is more represented and promoted than LGBT+ issues, then you would have been able to list the shows.

Virtually every show today in the UK has a homosexual character, some main, and it is always in a positive light.

Can you list for me the shows in the UK that has a negative represenatation of LGBT+ people and issues?

Definitely not The Wright Stuff, Loose Women and co?
x

Given you'll likely just deflect anything I have to say in terms of shows, you can have a look at the Unseen on Screen report into the topic, if you're interested in LGBT+ representation and how it's currently being done.

https://www.stonewall.org.uk/resources/unseen-screen-2011
Idgaf if you're gay, bi, trans, gender fluid or not, if you're nice, I'll treat you nice, if you're dirty, then I'll treat dirty, simple as that
Given you'll likely just deflect anything I have to say in terms of shows, you can have a look at the Unseen on Screen report into the topic, if you're interested in LGBT+ representation and how it's currently being done.

https://www.stonewall.org.uk/resources/unseen-screen-2011

What don't you understand about the statement "homosexual characters with their issues are by far more prominent on TV than religious characters and their issues"?

How does that in any way lead to your desperation to switch the debate to "homosexuals are under-represented on TV" instead of disproving the statement?
What don't you understand about the statement "homosexual characters with their issues are by far more prominent on TV than religious characters and their issues"?

How does that in any way lead to your desperation to switch the debate to "homosexuals are under-represented on TV" instead of disproving the statement?

I entirely understand the argument, but what I've repeatedly stated is that it's not relevant to the actual topic at hand, which it isn't; yes, religion should likely also have more representation on tv, but that's a different debate.

Please do address the representation of LGBT+ people on tv once you've had a look over the information though, as it does outline how representation, and particularly positive representation, is not at all where it should be just yet.
I entirely understand the argument, but what I've repeatedly stated is that it's not relevant to the actual topic at hand, which it isn't; yes, religion should likely also have more representation on tv, but that's a different debate.

Please do address the representation of LGBT+ people on tv once you've had a look over the information though, as it does outline how representation, and particularly positive representation, is not at all where it should be just yet.

No, it is relevant to our debate.

It was the argument of mine you challenged and thought was wrong.

I was right! Admit that and stop trying to switch the debate to what we are not debating or attempting strawmans.
No, it is relevant to our debate.

It was the argument of mine you challenged and thought was wrong.

I was right! Admit that and stop trying to switch the debate to what we are not debating or attempting strawmans.

Which is not relevant to the topic of this thread, and so I'm not willing to continue it in this avenue, as it should be a separate debate.

You've yet to give any examples of your own, even of poor representation of religion, or to dispute the article I sent; I'm not sure it's really worthwhile continuing this if you're not going to provide a counter debate.
Which is not relevant to the topic of this thread, and so I'm not willing to continue it in this avenue, as it should be a separate debate.

You've yet to give any examples of your own, even of poor representation of religion, or to dispute the article I sent; I'm not sure it's really worthwhile continuing this if you're not going to provide a counter debate.

Why did you decide to challenge it if you felt it was not relevant to the topic?

So when you realised you could not provide the proof that religious character and issues are not far less represented/prominent on TV than homosexual characters and issues is when you realised "it is not relevant"?

Well, it is relevant because it shows that anything pro-homosexuality is acceptable & promoted, while anything anti-homosexuality is suppressed as the OP stated.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by fr0g
Their agenda is to turn normal people gay.

It's really not, dude. Trust me.
Original post by Napp
I would point out that a distaste for gays predates Christianity by quite some time..
Hang on are you saying that religious people in of themselves are crazy or that because they generally find homosexuality an abomination theyre crazy? Because I was questioning the latter, not the former.

I'm not saying religious people are crazy just that if anyone could be considered to have a mental illness it is the religious.Obviously most of them are sane.They just do mad things.

And societies attitudes towards gay people has varied.In ancient greece and in ancient japan and rome it was considered socially acceptable. Hadrians wall was built by the emperor Hadrian who was famously Homosexual as was the Emperor Nero.Alexander the great went into prolonged morning when his lover Hephaestion died which he didn't do when his wife died FYI.In the early middle ages in england also acceptable.We had a king who was gay and nobody batted an eyelid.Its Christianity which is the driving force behind the past persecution of gays.

Latest

Trending

Trending