The Student Room Group

Further Trig Problem

I got given a problem today in class as a quick finishing question just before the bell rang. I attempted it in class but couldn't finish it.

Unparseable latex formula:

1:\[cosec(x)-tan(x)].

Hence show that

\[tan]

Now, my problem is I don't think it can be solved. I discussed with 2 of my mates who also agreed and testing values on a calculator also gave different results.

What I assume the question is supposed to look like is

2:\[cosec(x)-cot(x)]

My working so far for the question 1.

\[\frac{1}{sin(x)}-\frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}

\frac{cos(x)-sin^2(x)}{sin(x)cos(x)}\]

If anyone has any ideas what I am doing wrong, please let me know :biggrin: Ideally my tonight because I want to do this question. Also, I just started this topic today in lesson and finished it within two hours so I have't had much practice so any tips would be appreciated:h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?

You're right that that original question is incorrect.

Now you want to find the value of tan(15)\tan(15). So set x=30x=30 and your LHS should just be an evaluation of some basic trig ratios.
Original post by RDKGames
You're right that that original question is incorrect.

Now you want to find the value of tan(15)\tan(15). So set x=30x=30 and your LHS should just be an evaluation of some basic trig ratios.

Thank you. I was starting to feel like an idiot :biggrin: :biggrin:

So, I get the following working out. Hopefully this is right but just want a confirmation.

\[cosec(x)-tan(x)\]

\frac{1-cos(x)}{sin(x)}\]

\[\frac{1-(1-sin^2(\frac{1}{2}x))}{2sin(\frac{1}{2}x)(cos(\frac{1}{2}x))}\]

\[\frac{sin\frac{1}{2}x}{cos\frac{1}{2}x}\]

\[tan(\frac{1}{2}x)\]

Hence,

\[tan(\frac{1}{2}(30))]

\[\frac{1-cos(30)}{2sin(\frac{30}{2})}

\frac{1-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}{\frac{1}{2}}\]

\[2-\sqrt{3}\]

Lastly, I know dumb question but how do you derive the identities

\[cos(x)=1-2sin^2(\frac{1}{2}x)

sin(x)=2sin(12x)cos(12x)sin(x)=2sin(\frac{1}{2}x) cos(\frac{1}{2}x)
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?

\[cosec(x)-tan(x)\]

You mean csc(x)cot(x)\csc(x)-\cot(x)... Not sure why you used tan(x)\tan(x) here.

Also, you were't being asked to derive the answer, simply use the *already given* fact that csc(x)cot(x)=tan(12x)\csc(x)-\cot(x)=\tan(\frac{1}{2}x) by simply plugging in x=30x=30 into both sides. LHS is just 1sin(30)cos(30)sin(30)\frac{1}{\sin(30)}-\frac{\cos(30)}{\sin(30)} an the RHS is just tan(15)\tan(15). Express the LHS in terms of ratios, simplify, job done. No identity proving required.

The identities are actually:

cos(2x)cos2(x)sin2(x)\cos(2x) \equiv \cos^2(x)-\sin^2(x)
sin(2x)2sin(x)cos(x)\sin(2x) \equiv 2\sin(x)\cos(x)

and are given the name 'double angle formulae', and then it's only natural to substitute cos2(x)1sin2(x)\cos^2(x) \equiv 1- \sin^2(x) into the first one to get 12sin2(x)1-2\sin^2(x), and then just replace xx with x2\frac{x}{2} to arrive at the results you used.

In order to prove sin(2x),cos(2x)\sin(2x), \cos(2x) identities, you need to work with triangles and/or compound angle formulae.
Original post by RDKGames
x

Sorry my bad. I was still thinking about the first one which was wrong. Thanks for your help anyway. Makes a lot more sense now.

Quick Reply

Latest