The Student Room Group

I need help

I need help to confess my mental health to one of my teachers. I’m just scared if he will tell my parents
If you speak to a teacher about how you’re feeling they aren’t allowed to tell parents as it goes against confidentiality BUT they have to tell your parents if they think you are at risk of hurting yourself or putting yourself in danger. If you get treatment for your mental health your parents will have to know anyways, so my advice is to tell your parents. I know that’s easier said than done but I’ve got depression myself and my parents have been my biggest support in my recovery. I hope this helps, and things will get better
Most of the time they do have to tell your parents
If my parents knew I’d die
Reply 4
Original post by Hayleighxrxse
I need help to confess my mental health to one of my teachers. I’m just scared if he will tell my parents

Hi there. Sorry you're struggling, but it's great that you've decided to open up to somebody.
There was another post recently by an anon user which I'm assuming was you too. If that is the case it seems you're struggling with harming too?

Basically with teachers they won't usually tell anybody sensitive things you discuss with them, but do have the ability to if they feel a need. That might be talking to another teacher or the school counsellor because they don't know how to handle it or may also include telling a parent if they are worried about you.
It's unlikely hey will tell anybody and you can always tell your teacher that you don't want your parents to know, but there is always the possibility they will tell them or somebody else.
I would suggest you do tell your teacher, but if you're not comfortable doing that yet you can always wait or just tell them some of the story.

Two more options for telling somebody are a doctor and Childline.
A doctor has more strict rules about what they can say. They are not allowed to talk to anybody (except other medical professionals involved in your care) unless they believe you or somebody else are at serious risk and they cannot tell your parents without you knowing.
You can make an appointment by yourself, see the doctor by yourself and should also be able to sort out any treatments by yourself. Your parents are not allowed to look at your medical records and your doctor is not allowed to tell them anything unless they are very worried about you (and even then they have to tell you).
This link goes over that well and explains confidentiality:
http://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/self-harm/confidentiality-and-self-harm-5685.html

Childline is the other option. They offer a free and confidential counselling service by phone or online. Calls to childline don't even show up on a phone bill.
Here's their online chat info page (their phone number is at the top right):
https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/1-2-1-counsellor-chat/
And here's their confidentiality promise:
https://www.childline.org.uk/about/confidentiality-promise/

This is another link that has a bunch of info on telling adults about mh issues which you may find helpful:
https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/you-your-body/getting-help/asking-adult-help/

Oh and the reason I asked about harming is so I can clear something up. Just harming by itself is not enough for the "serious risk" bit with doctors. It needs to be serious. That means that in most cases they won't tell anybody even if you are harming.

I hope that helps and covers everything you want to know, but if you do have any other questions please feel free to ask. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you so much x I was talking to childlike last night
Reply 6
Original post by Hayleighxrxse
Thank you so much x I was talking to childlike last night

That's brilliant. It's a big step to open up to somebody so well done. If you wanted I'm sure they could help you work out what to say to your teacher.
Have you considered seeing your GP about it too?
I’m 14 they’ll tell my parents about it

Quick Reply

Latest