The Student Room Group

The Usual Apprenticeship Questions

Hey everyone,

I am currently in year 12 and am studying A Level Computer Science, English Language and Law.

After I finish my A Levels I am looking at both the Digital and Technology Solutions degree apprenticeships and traditional university route.

The degree apprenticeship would be my preference but there are quite a few things that worry me which make me hold off on the idea.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could answer any of these questions for me:

I have heard horror stories in the past of apprentices just being "used" by companies as cheap labour, is this still the case, what are your experiences?

Is there any social life with friends with a degree apprenticeship like there is at university e.g. parties etc?

Is there still a stigma from the perspective of employers when they hear that a candidate has completed a degree apprenticeship rather than the traditional route?

Do you find that people underestimate how smart you are because you chose an apprenticeship rather than traditional uni?

And if anyone could tell me where they do their Digital and Technology Solutions degree / with which company and how they are finding it etc?

Thanks so much for reading this laboriously long post.

-Mason
I've just completed a digital marketing apprenticeship (not degree level) although have decided not to stay in the job. I really wasn't enjoying the job and there was no opportunities for me to progress my career at the workplace, so I quit at the end of the program and have gone back into retail for the time being (I got my qualification). Do I regret doing it? No, I actually don't. I've learned quite a lot from the experience from working in a small business and it allowed me to get a good qualification. I did feel like I was being used for cheap labor though and that the job was a bit made up really.(wasn't much of a marketing job - more admin work!)

I don't know too much about degree apprenticeships, but I do imagine them to be much better than regular apprenticeships. There are definitively fewer degree level apprenticeships out there meaning they are harder to get. I think if a business is willing to take someone to train them to degree level, then they must see some value in that and want to keep you.

My advice would be to do lots of research on the employer you are looking at applying for. I would look are larger businesses which are able to offer you more opportunities and skill progression, as small businesses aren't likely to be able to offer you great incentives and career prospects in my opinion.

Hope this helps

Jake
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jakebag14
I've just completed a digital marketing apprenticeship (not degree level) although have decided not to stay in the job. I really wasn't enjoying the job and there was no opportunities for me to progress my career at the workplace, so I quit at the end of the program and have gone back into retail for the time being (I got my qualification). Do I regret doing it? No, I actually don't. I've learned quite a lot from the experience from working in a small business and it allowed me to get a good qualification. I did feel like I was being used for cheap labor though and that the job was a bit made up really.(wasn't much of a marketing job - more admin work!)

I don't know too much about degree apprenticeships, but I do imagine them to be much better than regular apprenticeships. There are definitively fewer degree level apprenticeships out there meaning they are harder to get. I think if a business is willing to take someone to train them to degree level, then they must see some value in that and want to keep you.

My advice would be to do lots of research on the employer you are looking at applying for. I would look are larger businesses which are able to offer you more opportunities and skill progression, as small businesses aren't likely to be able to offer you great incentives and career prospects in my opinion.

Hope this helps

Jake

That was really enlightening, I will see what other people have to say.

Thanks a lot Jake.

-Mason.
Original post by MannersManley
That was really enlightening, I will see what other people have to say.

Thanks a lot Jake.

-Mason.

No problem.

I think that you'll also find that degree apprenticeships will have a better starting salary, ranging from around 12k - 16k per year. This is actually a very good starting salary. I was on just over £8,000 per year, which was awful!
Reply 4
Hey everyone,

I am currently in year 12 and am studying A Level Computer Science, English Language and Law.

After I finish my A Levels I am looking at both the Digital and Technology Solutions degree apprenticeships and traditional university route.

The degree apprenticeship would be my preference but there are quite a few things that worry me which make me hold off on the idea.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could answer any of these questions for me:

I have heard horror stories in the past of apprentices just being "used" by companies as cheap labour, is this still the case, what are your experiences?

Is there any social life with friends with a degree apprenticeship like there is at university e.g. parties etc?

Is there still a stigma from the perspective of employers when they hear that a candidate has completed a degree apprenticeship rather than the traditional route?

Do you find that people underestimate how smart you are because you chose an apprenticeship rather than traditional uni?

And if anyone could tell me where they do their Digital and Technology Solutions degree / with which company and how they are finding it etc?

Thanks so much for reading this laboriously long post.

-Mason

Degree apprentices especially tend to have an awful lot of responsibility put on them quite early on, and tend to get better utilised than lower level apprentices. It's a lot of money to spend on a body to have doing nothing.

The social side depends on the size of your apprentice scheme. If you're the only degree apprentice, well... Party for 1.
If there's a few of you it will be better, and obviously there's nothing to stop you getting involved with the social life at uni. Always remember, if you don't show up to lectures because you're hungover, you'll lose the job and degree, if they don't show up to lectures, well they're paying for it...

I think degree apprenticeships are actually more sort after than degrees in certain fields, the experience and degree is valued more by some employers. Plus you don't have to list it as such, having a BaHons from University X and 4 years experience at Company Y, is a perfectly acceptable way of listing your experience.

People are welcome to think less of me because I did an apprenticeship rather than a traditional degree, I earn more than most of them, and my salary is all mine, there's no slice going to pay off a debt.
Original post by Tubbz
Degree apprentices especially tend to have an awful lot of responsibility put on them quite early on, and tend to get better utilised than lower level apprentices. It's a lot of money to spend on a body to have doing nothing.

The social side depends on the size of your apprentice scheme. If you're the only degree apprentice, well... Party for 1.
If there's a few of you it will be better, and obviously there's nothing to stop you getting involved with the social life at uni. Always remember, if you don't show up to lectures because you're hungover, you'll lose the job and degree, if they don't show up to lectures, well they're paying for it...

I think degree apprenticeships are actually more sort after than degrees in certain fields, the experience and degree is valued more by some employers. Plus you don't have to list it as such, having a BaHons from University X and 4 years experience at Company Y, is a perfectly acceptable way of listing your experience.

People are welcome to think less of me because I did an apprenticeship rather than a traditional degree, I earn more than most of them, and my salary is all mine, there's no slice going to pay off a debt.

Would you say that this extra responsibility is positive?

If you don't mind disclosing, what company and Uni did you partner with?
Reply 6
Would you say that this extra responsibility is positive?

If you don't mind disclosing, what company and Uni did you partner with?

It's not so much extra responsibility as being expected to do the job you're employed to do.

A degree apprenticeship isn't the easy option. You're doing a full time job, then a degree on top.

I'm with JLR and at Warwick.
Any further responses would be great.
Original post by Tubbz

that;s so true what you said about what other people think!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending