The Student Room Group

GCSE’s

Tips for revising for gsce’s ?( I’m taking Maths,English,Combined Science,History ,Dance ,Art ,Health and Social)
Original post by Shannonjones16
Tips for revising for gsce’s ?( I’m taking Maths,English,Combined Science,History ,Dance ,Art ,Health and Social)

1. Make good notes.
2. Deal with any weak points rather than ignoring them.
3. Pay attention in class.
4. Use a variety of revision methods so you dont get bored.
5.Start revising in good time.
6. Have a social life.
7. Plan your studies and revision.
8. Practice, practice, practice exam papers.
9. Buy revision books where you need them.
The way I got though my GCSEs was by basically getting all the necessary CGP revision guides and reading them and re reading them again, answering all the practice questions and doing them again every few weeks until I got them all right. Then I would progress onto practice papers, doing every single one on the AQA website (because that was our exam board), within timed conditions. Then I would mark to see where I went wrong :biggrin:
Listening in lessons is always good as well. It especially helped me in English, where I didn't actually buy revision guides. My teacher was amazing though, so it was probably down to him that I got an 8 in Lit and a 9 in Lang!
I'm probably not the best role model for this, as I left my revision up into the couple of weeks before the exams :wink: But hey, if you need help in the core subjects or art, then I'm happy to answer any questions c: I'm not entirely sure what the new spec is like, because I only had it for maths and english, but I can try to help as much as I can
Good luck with your revision though, if we don't speak again! x
Original post by 999tigger
1. Make good notes.
2. Deal with any weak points rather than ignoring them.
3. Pay attention in class.
4. Use a variety of revision methods so you dont get bored.
5.Start revising in good time.
6. Have a social life.
7. Plan your studies and revision.
8. Practice, practice, practice exam papers.
9. Buy revision books where you need them.
thank you so much ☺️
They were really helpful ,thankyou x
Original post by kiindling
The way I got though my GCSEs was by basically getting all the necessary CGP revision guides and reading them and re reading them again, answering all the practice questions and doing them again every few weeks until I got them all right. Then I would progress onto practice papers, doing every single one on the AQA website (because that was our exam board), within timed conditions. Then I would mark to see where I went wrong :biggrin:
Listening in lessons is always good as well. It especially helped me in English, where I didn't actually buy revision guides. My teacher was amazing though, so it was probably down to him that I got an 8 in Lit and a 9 in Lang!
I'm probably not the best role model for this, as I left my revision up into the couple of weeks before the exams :wink: But hey, if you need help in the core subjects or art, then I'm happy to answer any questions c: I'm not entirely sure what the new spec is like, because I only had it for maths and english, but I can try to help as much as I can
Good luck with your revision though, if we don't speak again! x
Reply 5
start making lots of notes as well...i used to make notes on the side of my CGP books which are amazing. and lots of past papers as many as u can. my dad used to always say to me that you should be well prepared from the start so that on the night before your exam you're relaxing. Just make sure you study everyday.
Reply 6
Here's some more

Eat nutritionally well if you can - ie green leafy veg, oily fish, blue berries etc., they help the brain process.

Exercise - it will help with the stress, even if it's just some stretches or walking.

Sleep well - make sure you get a good 6-7 hours sleep a night, and revise before sleep as it helps the brain remember.

Find a way to revise that works for you and stick to it.

Balance study with other areas of life.

Don't over do it, you just want to tick over right now, then up it in January and then again before exams. Don't burn out, if you think you are, take a break for a few days.

Drink plenty of water, and remember to take some into the exam with you, dehydration effects the memory.
(edited 6 years ago)
Will start doing more exam papers,thankyou ☺️.
Original post by Mev85
start making lots of notes as well...i used to make notes on the side of my CGP books which are amazing. and lots of past papers as many as u can. my dad used to always say to me that you should be well prepared from the start so that on the night before your exam you're relaxing. Just make sure you study everyday.
(edited 6 years ago)
Will definitely start doing those things ,thankyou x
Original post by Purdy7
Here's some more

Eat nutritionally well if you can - ie green leafy veg, oily fish, blue berries etc., they help the brain process.

Exercise - it will help with the stress, even if it's just some stretches or walking.

Sleep well - make sure you get a good 6-7 hours sleep a night, and revise before sleep as it helps the brain remember.

Find a way to revise that works for you and stick to it.

Balance study with other areas of life.

Don't over do it, you just want to tick over right now, then up it in January and then again before exams. Don't burn out, if you think you are, take a break for a few days.

Drink plenty of water, and remember to take some into the exam with you, dehydration effects the memory.

Quick Reply

Latest