The Student Room Group

Straight, but not masculine

This has been on my mind for a while now so...I am a straight male and struggle with girls because I feel my lack of masculinity holds me back.

I am what many call a 'pretty boy', slim, light eyes, very long eyelashes etc. I take care of myself like a girl, taking borderline obsessive measures with my hair, nails, eyebrows (I am not vain, I just enjoy these things) I often go to female salons. I am not huge or anything like that...

I am not huge or anything like that...but I do go to the gym, don't wear overly ostentatious and have a fairly deep voice but I am by NO means a manly guy. Do girls really want someone classically masculine? Is my lack of masculinity holding me back when it comes to girls?

ANY INPUTS WELCOME, THANKS

Scroll to see replies

I mean it totally depends on the girl. Majority usually like a bit of masculinity whereas others like guys who are more in touch with their feminine side and some like a mixture of both so you can't really be asking what do girls like and what's holding you back because that's down to which girl.

If you have a personality that generally makes girls laugh and feel happy to be around then you'll generally be a lot more likeable and have better chances.
Reply 2
'I often go to female salons'

My gaydar: BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP
Original post by Anonymous
This has been on my mind for a while now so...I am a straight male and struggle with girls because I feel my lack of masculinity holds me back.

I am what many call a 'pretty boy', slim, light eyes, very long eyelashes etc. I take care of myself like a girl, taking borderline obsessive measures with my hair, nails, eyebrows (I am not vain, I just enjoy these things) I often go to female salons. I am not huge or anything like that...

I am not huge or anything like that...but I do go to the gym, don't wear overly ostentatious and have a fairly deep voice but I am by NO means a manly guy. Do girls really want someone classically masculine? Is my lack of masculinity holding me back when it comes to girls?

I'm 100% sure you'll find a girl who will love you for who you are.

I also fail to see how you seem high maintenance, as the other poster said.
Nah, sounds cheesy but girls all have different preferences - I for one massively fancy "pretty boys" and it's amazing to know you take care of yourself like that - so don't fear my dear someone will be immensely attracted to you
There's a guy like that in my form, hes really introverted, quiet and shy though but he's really funny and nice when you talk to him. Of course the typically answer is "every girls different" but just like how girls DO want a man taller than themselves to "feel secure" I think a hint of masculinity would be needed.
No I don't think being masculine will get you girls (or at least not necessarily), really being confident will. If your in high school and want a short relationship/sexual, just act overly confident, funny or humiliate people that not a lot of people like (some see it as being a ****) because a lot of girls in my area anyway, just want a guy for the sake of reputation and sex
But anyways, no I do think you have a chance its just your chance is quite low, but i hope you do find the one. Its all about that confidence, confidence is KEYYYYYYYY BOI
Reply 6
Original post by kaytoner
'I often go to female salons'

My gaydar: BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP

I understand why ahaha, but your gaydar is incorrect
Reply 7
Nah, sounds cheesy but girls all have different preferences - I for one massively fancy "pretty boys" and it's amazing to know you take care of yourself like that - so don't fear my dear someone will be immensely attracted to you

Thank you! I do feel there is such a focus on men being dominant Hercules type figures but thats just not me. I have had nothing but criticism for my grooming habits so its nice to have someone appreciate it <3
Reply 8
Original post by mc_miah
There's a guy like that in my form, hes really introverted, quiet and shy though but he's really funny and nice when you talk to him. Of course the typically answer is "every girls different" but just like how girls DO want a man taller than themselves to "feel secure" I think a hint of masculinity would be needed.
No I don't think being masculine will get you girls (or at least not necessarily), really being confident will. If your in high school and want a short relationship/sexual, just act overly confident, funny or humiliate people that not a lot of people like (some see it as being a ****) because a lot of girls in my area anyway, just want a guy for the sake of reputation and sex
But anyways, no I do think you have a chance its just your chance is quite low, but i hope you do find the one. Its all about that confidence, confidence is KEYYYYYYYY BOI

I don't come across as feminine other than when I talk about my habits:') and I am certainly not short! I'd just rather stay true to myself and do what i enjoy as opposed to lie to myself and try and be some cocky manly ******** lad and I defo dont need to act like that for sex

What we want as girls is entirely dependant on the girl herself.

It is a stereotype (and often a true one, but not always, I.e. the stereotype label) that gay people are more feminine in terms of self care. But that doesn’t matter.

Don’t change because of a generalisation. Keep doing you, boo.
To be honest there is no such thing as utter masculinity like there is no such thing as a proper man. It's something made up by society.
If you say you are straight, I believe you. Just maybe other girls assume you are gay, so maybe try to make it clear you are straight. I don't know what you do at the moment, but maybe say a female celebrity is hot or something in conversation? Trust me though, there are girls who like 'effeminate' men out their. Just wait your time.
Original post by sirhappyqueen
If you say you are straight, I believe you. Just maybe other girls assume you are gay, so maybe try to make it clear you are straight. I don't know what you do at the moment, but maybe say a female celebrity is hot or something in conversation? Trust me though, there are girls who like 'effeminate' men out their. Just wait your time.

No one has ever assumed I am gay! I always talk about women I find attractive but I also talk a lot with 'girlfriends' about beauty and fashion etc. I am comfortable with my 'metrosexual' side but I just feel it holds me back when it comes to dating etc I just need to be patient as you say
I don't come across as feminine other than when I talk about my habits:':wink: and I am certainly not short! I'd just rather stay true to myself and do what i enjoy as opposed to lie to myself and try and be some cocky manly ******** lad and I defo dont need to act like that for sex

Nah I wasn't accusing you of being short but that's great, at least you're not like the majority of the boys in my year. I wish all guys thought like this, so annoying ;/
Reply 14

I guarantee you that you will definitely find someone! After all, it’s personality that matters most, right? Well, at least it should be.
Reply 15

Spoiler

Are you Morrissey?
Original post by teastain
Are you Morrissey?

Morrissey isn't straight?
You will always find someone who loves you for who you are. Different females like different things in males. There's somebody out there for everyone.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Morrissey isn't straight?

Who knows. There's loads of straight little Morrisseys running around these days that girls kill for.
I think femininity in men is becoming increasingly more attractive. I've always been attracted to those on the feminine side as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending