The Student Room Group

Career help

I need help on what to choose for a levels because I have no idea what I want to be when I’m older. I’ve pretty much ruled out any science related jobs due to the fact that I know I will not enjoy it. My parents are very old fashioned and won’t let me choose art even though I’m great at it. I love fashion but that’s a complete no from my parents so I can’t go down that route. Saying that, I also love history. Does anyone have any career options that might appeal to me and my parents? 😬
Honey, this is YOUR life and YOUR career and not your parents'. Do whatever you want to do. You could take Art, History and another facilitating subject (which you enjoy) if you want to keep your options open. Either way, choose what you want to do because you want to do it and not because your parents are pressuring you.

SIDE NOTE: You'll no doubt do what you want to do when you're older and so whatever you pick at A-Level now WILL be relevant
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MisledGoddess
Honey, this is YOUR life and YOUR career and not your parents'. Do whatever you want to do. You could take Art, History and another facilitating subject (which you enjoy) if you want to keep your options open. Either way, choose what you want to do because you want to do it and not because your parents are pressuring you.

SIDE NOTE: You'll no doubt do what you want to do when you're older and so whatever you pick at A-Level now WILL be relevant

It’s SO hard though. I come from an Asian family and the only choices they give you is Medicine. I personally feel like I can’t go anything with the support of my parents, and they will not let me forget this
Firstly-
Do not let your parents dictate your future !! :"v

It's your life, not theirs! You'll be the one doing whatever job you chose, and you needn't waste your life doing something that you don't enjoy, just because your parents don't agree!
If you love doing art, go ahead and do it!
You'll succeed so much better in something that you truly love!
Perhaps talk it through with your parents more, or a careers supervisor? I can't stress enough how much of a misery you'll life will be if you're life will be if you don't do something that your heart is into.

I bet I'm not much of a help, but hey
I tried
Good luck!! x
You will only get this chance once so try to do what you want and not what your parents want as these choices can change your life! (Not trying to scare you srry haha)

If you like history then there's loads of different career paths and degrees that an A-Level in History would be useful for e.g. PPE, History, Law and more

Do what you genuinely enjoy otherwise or you'll be stuck doing a subject you dislike which will make it 10x harder to study for so will be harder to achieve a better grade.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by icelolly123
It’s SO hard though. I come from an Asian family and the only choices they give you is Medicine. I personally feel like I can’t go anything with the support of my parents, and they will not let me forget this

Don't let their expectations define your future x
Original post by icelolly123
I need help on what to choose for a levels because I have no idea what I want to be when I’m older. I’ve pretty much ruled out any science related jobs due to the fact that I know I will not enjoy it. My parents are very old fashioned and won’t let me choose art even though I’m great at it. I love fashion but that’s a complete no from my parents so I can’t go down that route. Saying that, I also love history. Does anyone have any career options that might appeal to me and my parents? 😬

Just tagging in @Apprenticeships Advice
University Centre Hastings
x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending