The Student Room Group

Continuing with university?

Background:
- 20-year-old second year student, on 4 year competitive health professions course.
- Poor attendance, and have missed work, quite behind, applied for some extensions
- Long term mental health problems (dep, bpd) which are worsening

QUESTION: REMAIN IN UNIVERSITY OR TAKE A YEAR OUT? (BUT WILL HAVE TO BEGIN THE WHOLE COURSE AGAIN)

Pros (of taking a year out)
- Would allow myself to have a break IF I got better, taking the pressure off myself
- Would allow me to enjoy the course more (if I recovered on a year out) instead of just trying to get by, learn more
- If I was feeling better at home I could get a job or volunteer however have done this in the past and hasn’t necessarily helped
- Make money and save
- Have never really had time to recover from the death of my best friend on course who died traumatically in front of my eyes while we were on holiday together

Cons (of taking a year out)
- would miss NHS funding (I am in the last year for funding)
- changing nature of the course (being compressed into 3 years instead of 4) would mean I might have to start the course again as modules have changed expensive and would be starting first year at 21
- uni gives me something to focus on at home I might just stay in bed and if I didn’t recover at home then I don’t know whether I would return to uni at all. Often distraction (uni) Is the best policy for depression.
- upcoming experimental treatment for depression could really help me not as much point of getting it, if I’m just going to be at home it’s expensive, I would prefer it to help me feel better at uni
- House just payed massive deposit and have a house to pay for the rest of the year
- boyfriend is at uni
- don’t have any friends at home make me worse? Missing out/ failure
- doctors who know me and my situation are relatively easy to access at uni and start counselling soon more support available
- I have things planned and to look forward too would have to cancel them if I was going home

I would appreciate any thoughts, comments or even experiences of those who have been in similar situations. I am completely stuck! Thank you
Original post by triphazards

TBH is sounds like you know as well which one is the better one for you i.e staying at uni. Just make sure that you have access to things you need support wise and are using them. You need to have coping strategies which it sounds like you do and a support system so I would say stick with it and you will come out the other end.

Quick Reply

Latest