The Student Room Group

Double or Triple Science

My dream is to study Medicine at university. I would like some advice on whether I should take double Science or Triple Science as my school offers both. I am just wondering if I didn't do Triple would this put me at a disadvantage ? Thank you very much. All replies appreciated greatly!

Scroll to see replies

do what you'll get the best results in
not what you have to do
triple
It wouldn't really affect you getting an offer if you didn't have triple. I think the only benefit triple would give is making the transition between GCSE and A level sciences a little easier. If you enjoy the sciences, I'd suggest taking triple, but it's not the end of the world if you don't take it as universities are aware not everyone has the opportunity to :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by physicseastldn
do what you'll get the best results in
not what you have to do

Thanks for the advice
3rd times the charm:wink:
Original post by Hmg12344
My dream is to study Medicine at university. I would like some advice on whether I should take double Science or Triple Science as my school offers both. I am just wondering if I didn't do Triple would this put me at a disadvantage ? Thank you very much. All replies appreciated greatly!

If you wish to do medicine at University then I guess you'll be taking Biology and Chemistry for A-Level since they are requirements for many medicine courses. When learning these 2 A-Level courses, knowledge of all of GCSE triple science will be assumed so if you do choose not to do triple science you will be required to catch-up on that knowledge anyways when learning your A-Levels so why not do triple-science and get a qualification out of it whilst you're at it?! :biggrin:

Hope this helped!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Changing Skies
It wouldn't really affect you getting an offer if you didn't have triple. I think the only benefit triple would give is making the transition between GCSE and A level sciences a little easier. If you enjoy the sciences, I'd suggest taking triple, but it's not the end of the world if you don't take it as universities are aware not everyone has the opportunity to :smile:

Oh okay! Thank you
Original post by Hmg12344

I did triple and now im in college and say if you can handle it do it by all means, but not doing it won't disadvantage you in any way at all

my college doesn't even care if you did triple or not they've never asked and honestly it stressed me out a whole lot for no reason, yeah i goto my grades but so far ive had no direct advantage

end of the day its your decision...
Reply 9
Original post by S.H.Rahman
If you wish to do medicine at University then I guess you'll be taking Biology and Chemistry for A-Level since they are requirements for many medicine courses. When learning these 2 A-Level courses, knowledge of all of GCSE triple science will be assumed so if you do choose not to do triple science you will be required to catch-up on that knowledge anyways when learning your A-Levels so why not to triple-science and get a qualification out of it whilst your at it?! :biggrin:

Hope this helped!

Yes you have been so helpful! Thank you very much! I really appreciate it
Reply 10
Original post by Thereadingpotato
I did triple and now im in college and say if you can handle it do it by all means, but not doing it won't disadvantage you in any way at all

my college doesn't even care if you did triple or not they've never asked and honestly it stressed me out a whole lot for no reason, yeah i goto my grades but so far ive had no direct advantage

Thank you very much! You've been ever so helpful
Reply 11
Original post by Thereadingpotato

Thank you so much you've been super helpful!

i did double and i'm finding the transition easier than other people who did triple
Reply 13
If you don't do triple science at GCSE and wish to study medicine, you will DEFINITELY be at a disadvantage.
To study medicine, at A-level you'll need to be taking a science or two (chemistry especially), and you will not be as well prepared for this if you take double, especially considering that courses like chemistry are notoriously difficult.
Ultimately, it's your decision, but if you're interested in medicine, definitely go for triple!
I myself do triple, so if you want any information about it, or any advice from someone who's in year 11, please don't hesitate to ask! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by arizonaidiot
3rd times the charm:wink:

Yeah! I guess so :biggrin: thanks!!
Original post by Ray_Shadows
i did double and i'm finding the transition easier than other people who did triple

Oh of course, I'm not saying it isn't possible to find it easier! I did double myself and didn't struggle either :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Mikos
If you don't do triple science at GCSE and wish to study medicine, you will DEFINITELY be at a disadvantage.
To study medicine, at A-level you'll need to be taking a science or two (chemistry especially), and you will not be as well prepared for this if you take double, especially considering that courses like chemistry are notoriously difficult.
Ultimately, it's your decision, but if you're interested in medicine, definitely go for triple!
I myself do triple, so if you want any information about it, or any advice from someone who's in year 11, please don't hesitate to ask! :smile:

Thank you so much! Do you finding that there is a lot more to learn/ more work(content) compared to double award? :smile:
Oh of course, I'm not saying it isn't possible to find it easier! I did double myself and didn't struggle either :smile:

yh sorry if it sounded like i was being rude , that came out wrong
I would recommend doing triple. I understand people when they say double but transition to a-levels when you do triple is so much smoother and besides, triple isn't much harder than double. You just build on some content you have studied already and go into more detail. I did double in year 9 but realised it was similar to my sister's course who was doing triple so I switched to triple. Just make sure you choose triple if you are committed because a lot of people say they want to do nat sciences or do medicine but when it comes to effort, they don't put it in and hence they do badly in their exams.
Reply 19
Honestly, thank you all so much for giving me advice! I feel like now I just need to evaluate everything's and conclude the best decision! Thank you very much! Sincere appreciation for all of you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest