The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lulal
Hi,

Any views on SGUL? They seem to be always the lowest scored. They also had places available in clearing over the past 2 years.
However seeing they are linked with St George's Hospital, I would have thought plenty learning opportunities are given: A&E, paediatrics, etc. Are they really the worst of the bunch? Would it be the lack of a student life, quality of teaching/learning opportunities or opportunities once you graduate?

Views about what? It's in London, which makes it over-priced, over-hyped and over-crowded??*
(*all views expressed are the author's own and do not represent anything other than her dislike of "That London" and the number of medical students fighting over each patient)
It does better than Barts, UCL, Imperial and Kings for how prepared its graduates feel for their F1 jobs but is in the bottom 1/3 of specialty exam pass rates (above Barts, below the other 3 London Med Schools).
In terms of other league tables, as I have said, I feel the only thing of any relevance to UG medicine is student satisfaction, and if you are looking at this, Kings is a resounding bottom on every scoring system. Barts is usually top of the London 4 (sitting 10-15th, with Imperial usually next and then either SGUL or UCL (with the 3 of them in the bottom 3rd).
Seems I am not the only one who finds London med schools less than stellar, even their own students are not hugely enamoured!!
Original post by lulal
Thank you, I gathered that and I thought they are either really inundated by lesser quality applications or they are really clever in exploiting the flaws within the application process with reliance on predictions which are known to be unreliable.

It was neither of these. SGUL deliberately kept a few places (about 40-50, I believe) back to only be made available through clearing to people who had no offers but had achieved the required grades. It was not for people who did not make their grades (they still had the same entry requirements and you had to attend an interview).
Liverpool and Sheffield did the same, but in smaller numbers.
Reply 162
Any EU student who received an interview invitation?
Reply 163
Original post by GANFYD
Views about what? It's in London, which makes it over-priced, over-hyped and over-crowded??*
(*all views expressed are the author's own and do not represent anything other than her dislike of "That London" and the number of medical students fighting over each patient)
It does better than Barts, UCL, Imperial and Kings for how prepared its graduates feel for their F1 jobs but is in the bottom 1/3 of specialty exam pass rates (above Barts, below the other 3 London Med Schools).
In terms of other league tables, as I have said, I feel the only thing of any relevance to UG medicine is student satisfaction, and if you are looking at this, Kings is a resounding bottom on every scoring system. Barts is usually top of the London 4 (sitting 10-15th, with Imperial usually next and then either SGUL or UCL (with the 3 of them in the bottom 3rd).
Seems I am not the only one who finds London med schools less than stellar, even their own students are not hugely enamoured!!

Thank you, much appreciated. I applied to SGUL changing my initial option at the last moment, thinking it a safer option to get an interview. At cca 30 miles London is closest to home, although that doesn't help much given that commuting is not an option from where I live. I would definitely have to pay a fortune in rent.
The reason I raised the question is that, not being familiar with the medical education system (first generation of British subject), I was puzzled by the low scoring SGUL receives, in contrast with the view I formed of the St George's hospital when watching Channel 4's 24 hrs in A&E. Watching that made me think: "That's a good place to learn medicine!".
Original post by LRxS
I got the Cardiff one at 1pm today, in an email from the uni. It hasn't showed up in UCAS Track. Apparently I'll get a second email in the next 3 days to book it, but that hasn't arrived yet. I'm afraid I don't know about International students at Cardiff but I do know Birmingham start sending international invites towards the end of December. Also I was deferred entry to Cardiff so I don't know if that makes a difference?

I’m pretty sure interviews never come through on track (they just come by email) but I could be wrong.
Original post by lulal
Thank you, much appreciated. I applied to SGUL changing my initial option at the last moment, thinking it a safer option to get an interview. At cca 30 miles London is closest to home, although that doesn't help much given that commuting is not an option from where I live. I would definitely have to pay a fortune in rent.
The reason I raised the question is that, not being familiar with the medical education system (first generation of British subject), I was puzzled by the low scoring SGUL receives, in contrast with the view I formed of the St George's hospital when watching Channel 4's 24 hrs in A&E. Watching that made me think: "That's a good place to learn medicine!".

Bear in mind that TV shows are edited to make the subject look good!

All medical schools have their good points and bad points and almost all medical students have a good time wherever they go (despite surveys saying they are more or less satisfied with the teaching etc). Before application, people need to check that the med school suits the strengths of their stats (you've gotta be in it to win it!), and then check that they like the course, teaching style, city, atmosphere and general "feel" of the place. Few are lucky enough to have limitless choice about where they apply and most base their decisions on a few essentially trivial points about the uni, yet most have a great time, pass their exams and come out as a doctor at the other end. ANd then end up with a fulfilling and successful career.
League tables are unhelpful and change most years. The confidence intervals for stats I quote are pretty large and within them there is significant variation if you break professional exams down into specialty. The only real thing I would be asking at an open day would be about F1 preparedness and how a med school proposed to tackle low scores in this, because many do turn it round in a single year, so it is possible! And again, within each cohort, those with drive and initiative will seek out the experience to ensure they DO feel prepared (or will learn damned quickly when they hit the wards!)
Reply 166
Original post by GANFYD
Bear in mind that TV shows are edited to make the subject look good!

All medical schools have their good points and bad points and almost all medical students have a good time wherever they go (despite surveys saying they are more or less satisfied with the teaching etc). Before application, people need to check that the med school suits the strengths of their stats (you've gotta be in it to win it!), and then check that they like the course, teaching style, city, atmosphere and general "feel" of the place. Few are lucky enough to have limitless choice about where they apply and most base their decisions on a few essentially trivial points about the uni, yet most have a great time, pass their exams and come out as a doctor at the other end. ANd then end up with a fulfilling and successful career.
League tables are unhelpful and change most years. The confidence intervals for stats I quote are pretty large and within them there is significant variation if you break professional exams down into specialty. The only real thing I would be asking at an open day would be about F1 preparedness and how a med school proposed to tackle low scores in this, because many do turn it round in a single year, so it is possible! And again, within each cohort, those with drive and initiative will seek out the experience to ensure they DO feel prepared (or will learn damned quickly when they hit the wards!)

You are absolutely right, I agree with you totally. Indeed one would have to research and apply where they feel they could gain the most. Given how competitive this entire process is however, there might be little chance for some (including me) in choosing best options. Based on the combination of my results, I ended up applying to universities which I have not even visited and have not been able to apply to any of the ones where I attended open days. By the time I received my results most universities did not offer open days any more...
Hopefully I'll get in this year. If not, I should be in a better position next year next year, as I know so many things now which I had no idea about when I started the application process. Achieved A-levels permitting, of course.
Applied on 12/10/2017
Predicted AAA
UKCAT (let me get back to you on this) Band 2

Exeter (A100):
Acknowledged: 13/10/2017

Liverpool (A100):
Acknowledged: 16/10/2017

Plymouth (A100):
Acknowledged: 25/10/2017
Interview Offer: 13/11/2017

Sussex (C702 - Biomedical Sciences BSc):
Acknowledged: 17/10/2017
Offer: 31/10/2017 (Conditional AAB, unless I firm them, then ABB)

St George's (B940 - Biomedical Sciences BSc):
Acknowledged: 12/10/2017
Still waiting to hear back

(Will edit as I hear more)
(edited 6 years ago)
I've been invited to an interview at Cardiff and Plymouth today!!!! :happy2::grin::excited:
Original post by emx_eco
I've been invited to an interview at Cardiff and Plymouth today!!!! :happy2::grin::excited:

Congratulations!
Original post by emx_eco

Congratulations!! what are your stats if I may ask? are you Undergraduate and if so, what's your back up?
Hi everyone
Applied 03/10/17
GCSEs 13A*
Ukcat 740, band1.
Predicted A*A*A*
Birmingham, invited to interview 10/11/17
Leicester, invited to interview 09/11/17
UEA, acknowledged
Southampton, acknowledged
Good luck everyone
Original post by emx_eco

Congrats! And good luck :h:
Reply 173
The question is, why does it seem like no one has applied to Exeter medical school this year?
Original post by TracyEmu
Congratulations!! what are your stats if I may ask? are you Undergraduate and if so, what's your back up?

I'm an Undergraduate. I applied to:
Bristol- Interview
Plymouth- Interview
Cardiff- Interview
Birmingham- Acknowledgement
Birmingham- Offer for Biomedicine (AAB)

UKCAT- 2840 (710 Average) Band 1
GCSEs- 9A*s, 2As, B in English Language (Resat and achieved an A)
Predicted Grades- A*A*A (Chemistry, Biology, Maths respectively
Work Experience- 1 year in care home, 3 days at GP, 1 day in surgical outpatients, 2 days in radiology, 1 day at a community mental health clinic, 1 day with occupational health, 8 months at a neurological centre, part-time job tutoring kids, charity shop volunteering, NCS, Bronze/Silver/Gold DofE, Robinson College Women in Science Festival, Debate chamber summer school

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE APPLYING!
:crossedf::crossedf:
Original post by emx_eco
I'm an Undergraduate. I applied to:
Bristol- Interview
Plymouth- Interview
Cardiff- Interview
Birmingham- Acknowledgement
Birmingham- Offer for Biomedicine (AAB)

UKCAT- 2840 (710 Average) Band 1
GCSEs- 9A*s, 2As, B in English Language (Resat and achieved an A)
Predicted Grades- A*A*A (Chemistry, Biology, Maths respectively
Work Experience- 1 year in care home, 3 days at GP, 1 day in surgical outpatients, 2 days in radiology, 1 day at a community mental health clinic, 1 day with occupational health, 8 months at a neurological centre, part-time job tutoring kids, charity shop volunteering, NCS, Bronze/Silver/Gold DofE, Robinson College Women in Science Festival, Debate chamber summer school

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE APPLYING!
:crossedf::crossedf:

Great stats!! well done on getting 3 interviews already!!

how are you planning on preparing for the interviews? using any resources? attending any MMI courses?
Original post by Finn62
The question is, why does it seem like no one has applied to Exeter medical school this year?

And, dare I say it, Oxford too (although Oxford's is still no where near the deadness of the Exeter threads :lol:)

Maybe it's the Ibz Mo effect :biggrin:
Original post by TracyEmu

Forgot to say, my back would be (if I achieved the required grades) to take a gap year and find a job as a healthcare assistant
Original post by emx_eco
Forgot to say, my back would be (if I achieved the required grades) to take a gap year and find a job as a healthcare assistant

Good luck! how are you feeling about the interviews?
Original post by Actuvia
Did you try emailing/calling them?

They clearly received it since they've invited me for an interview.

Latest

Trending

Trending