The Student Room Group

Mature student,started uni in Sept and strugggling with course. need advice pls

Hi,
I started Uni in Sept, Engineering, and I'm finding the workload tough. I find there is little time to absorb the information and revise. I previously completed an Access Course and managed to get top grades but that was from long hours of non stop studying everyday with no life. During that course I had a feeling that I might have learning difficulties such as dyslexia, but as it's difficult to get tested brushed it off. When I started Uni I did have access to be tested but as the course picked up the pace I found little time to get tested and brushed it off again, thinking I just need to focus. Now this week we have online exams and I just feel I have not absorbed anything in the past month and a half at Uni and feel I will fail the online exams which contribute 5% to my final grade. Today I approached the learning disabilities department and did a screening test and it did suggest that I am Dyslexic. At this point, if I fail the online tests I'm not sure if I will get kicked off and if not, I'm dreading that we are moving on to more intense work after this week that is suppose to build on what I should have absorbed and learned at the begining. I feel throwing in the towel is a bad choice as I struggled to get this far. Need advice pls
Original post by paulcompaq
Hi,
I started Uni in Sept, Engineering, and I'm finding the workload tough. I find there is little time to absorb the information and revise. I previously completed an Access Course and managed to get top grades but that was from long hours of non stop studying everyday with no life. During that course I had a feeling that I might have learning difficulties such as dyslexia, but as it's difficult to get tested brushed it off. When I started Uni I did have access to be tested but as the course picked up the pace I found little time to get tested and brushed it off again, thinking I just need to focus. Now this week we have online exams and I just feel I have not absorbed anything in the past month and a half at Uni and feel I will fail the online exams which contribute 5% to my final grade. Today I approached the learning disabilities department and did a screening test and it did suggest that I am Dyslexic. At this point, if I fail the online tests I'm not sure if I will get kicked off and if not, I'm dreading that we are moving on to more intense work after this week that is suppose to build on what I should have absorbed and learned at the begining. I feel throwing in the towel is a bad choice as I struggled to get this far. Need advice pls

Don't give up now. Speak to your tutors and course leader and make them aware. They want you to succeed, so let them help you. Also continue to pursue help and diagnosis for the dyslexia. It could entitle you to extra time and other things in exams, so it's well worth doing to make your life a bit easier. There's no point in giving up now, though. If you do, you'll definitely end up with nothing. It's worth trying at least. Speak to those who teach you and ask for their advice though, definitely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending