The Student Room Group

Will I go to jail for this

My doctor referred me to a psychologist for my ADHD assessment however he said he's not qualified and he said he could only diagnose me for my anxiety and depression which isn't there anymore and I have to pay £375 now I don't know what to do
Original post by Esme6560
My doctor referred me to a psychologist for my ADHD assessment however he said he's not qualified and he said he could only diagnose me for my anxiety and depression which isn't there anymore and I have to pay £375 now I don't know what to do

Why does this mean he is charging you £375 and why do you think you will go to jail?

No, you will not.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Why does this mean he is charging you £375 and why do you think you will go to jail?

No, you will not.

Because I wasted his time and that's how much it costs for 1hour and a half and I'm getting payment reminders but I don't want to pay since he couldn't even diagnose me with ADHD. Won't I go to jail if I don't pay?
Because I wasted his time and that's how much it costs for 1hour and a half and I'm getting payment reminders but I don't want to pay since he couldn't even diagnose me with ADHD. Won't I go to jail if I don't pay?

1. You will not go to jail.
2. Is this a private doctor and you agreed t pay for a diagnosis? What did you ask hm to do? Did you tell him you wanted an adhd diagnosis or just a general diagnosis?

3. Whether you owe the money depends depends on what the agreement was. If you told him specifically you wanted a diagnosis for adhd and he said later he wasnt qualified then I wouldnt pay. Go and see CAB and they will tell you what to say.

If you just went to him and asked for a diagnosis, but didnt mention the adhd before you agreed to attend then that is tickier.

Talk to either

1. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

Telephone: 0800 328 5050

Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Fridays.

2. Citizens Advice consumer helpline: 03454 04 05 06
Textphone: 18001 03454 04 05 06
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

3. Mind
Mind's Infoline. For mental health information, Mind’s Infoline is open from 9am–6pm weekdays. You can contact our Infoline on 0300 123 3393, text 86463 or email

4. ADDISS
The National Attention Deficit Disorder Information and Support Service.
Phone: 020 8952 2800

http://www.addiss.co.uk/
Reply 4
1. You will not go to jail.
2. Is this a private doctor and you agreed t pay for a diagnosis? What did you ask hm to do? Did you tell him you wanted an adhd diagnosis or just a general diagnosis?

3. Whether you owe the money depends depends on what the agreement was. If you told him specifically you wanted a diagnosis for adhd and he said later he wasnt qualified then I wouldnt pay. Go and see CAB and they will tell you what to say.

If you just went to him and asked for a diagnosis, but didnt mention the adhd before you agreed to attend then that is tickier.

Talk to either

1. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

Telephone: 0800 328 5050

Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Fridays.

2. Citizens Advice consumer helpline: 03454 04 05 06
Textphone: 18001 03454 04 05 06
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

3. Mind
Mind's Infoline. For mental health information, Mind’s Infoline is open from 9am–6pm weekdays. You can contact our Infoline on 0300 123 3393, text 86463 or email

4. ADDISS
The National Attention Deficit Disorder Information and Support Service.
Phone: 020 8952 2800

http://www.addiss.co.uk/

Wow thank you so much for the info, and I was referred from my doctor who told me he can diagnose me for adhd it just requires test for memory and processing and stuff like that, when I got a phone call from his secretary she told me it was for ADHD, the letter, the receptionist and everything. But when I got there he said it's for anxiety (which I had before and my doctor mentioned it) and I said I came here for adhd. He said the doctor wrote she has had anxiety and depression with symptoms of ADHD. I thought I was paying for an ADHD Assessment! :frown:
Reply 5
Wow thank you so much for the info, and I was referred from my doctor who told me he can diagnose me for adhd it just requires test for memory and processing and stuff like that, when I got a phone call from his secretary she told me it was for ADHD, the letter, the receptionist and everything. But when I got there he said it's for anxiety (which I had before and my doctor mentioned it) and I said I came here for adhd. He said the doctor wrote she has had anxiety and depression with symptoms of ADHD. I thought I was paying for an ADHD Assessment! :frown:

They've not delivered the service you requested. You should have left, or asked for the test you were paying for. If they couldn't supply it, they shouldn't have done anything.

Don't ignore the letters, go down Citizen's Advice with all the documentation, they should be able to help.
Reply 6
Original post by Tubbz
They've not delivered the service you requested. You should have left, or asked for the test you were paying for. If they couldn't supply it, they shouldn't have done anything.

Don't ignore the letters, go down Citizen's Advice with all the documentation, they should be able to help.

I know I don't know why I left either, I don't know why I didn't think of that and okay thanks for the help means a lot

You need to go and see CAB in person so they can get all the info in interview. Take all communications along.

When did you tell him you had come for adhd? before or after the assessment?

What does it say in the letter about adhd?

Did you go through with the assessment or did he say he cant do adgd before it took place and he is trying to bill you for wasting his time?

The context and details matter. TSR is too slow and clumsy for trying to give real advice because context and details are really important and its not a good way of obtaining them.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/search-for-your-local-citizens-advice/
Reply 8
You need to go and see CAB in person so they can get all the info in interview. Take all communications along.

When did you tell him you had come for adhd? before or after the assessment?

What does it say in the letter about adhd?

Did you go through with the assessment or did he say he cant do adgd before it took place and he is trying to bill you for wasting his time?

The context and details matter. TSR is too slow and clumsy for trying to give real advice because context and details are really important and its not a good way of obtaining them.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/search-for-your-local-citizens-advice/

The letter says it's for ADHD assessment, before it took place I said is this for an ADHD assessment and he's like well it's for symptoms of ADHD but he can't diagnose me, he also said that at the start after I asked him, then he started to ask me question and talking about my doctor hence why I didn't leave, he did not go through with any assessment the whole thing was asking questions about random stuff now he wants to bill me for wasting his time, I did not know what to do hence why I asked here and first time did not get a reply and thank you so much!
A diagnosis for adhd is not a simple one appointment It is much more complicated.
He isn’t billing you for wasting time. He is billing you for the appointment.
Write him a letter explaining what you thought went wrong and what you were expecting.
They will very probably pursue you for payment so be prepared. It could end in a ccj.
The letter says it's for ADHD assessment, before it took place I said is this for an ADHD assessment and he's like well it's for symptoms of ADHD but he can't diagnose me, he also said that at the start after I asked him, then he started to ask me question and talking about my doctor hence why I didn't leave, he did not go through with any assessment the whole thing was asking questions about random stuff now he wants to bill me for wasting his time, I did not know what to do hence why I asked here and first time did not get a reply and thank you so much!

Go and see CAB and they can help you draft a letter telling him you will not be paying as he failed to deliver the service you requested and the correspondence indicated was going to be provided.

No assessment was carried out.

He will then have to try and sue you, which he will not.

You can also try

RETHINK

0300 5000 927

The Rethink Mental Illness Advice Service offers practical help on issues such as the Mental Health Act, community care, welfare benefits, debt, criminal justice and carers rights. They also offer general help on living with mental illness, medication, care and treatment.

The line is open from 9:30am - 4pm
Monday to Friday.

https://www.rethink.org/living-with-mental-illness/rights-restrictions/complaints/how

You can also talk to the Care quality commission if it was NHS or the FMC if its totally private.

Someone still needs to assess the exact details in interview, but in the reply letter you can point out all these other bodies have been spoken to and advised you, which should make him back off.

Consumer Rights Act 2015
When you talk to CAB you should be mentioning s49 (reasonable skill and care(It couldnt be reasonable if he wasnt qualified)) and s50 information about the service to be binding (i.e they mentioned ADHD and thats what you believed you were getting, but didnt).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

CAB should:

1. Listen so they get all the information.
2. Look at the documents/ letter.
3. Help you draft a letter

You can also talk to your nearest Law Centre (but they might see it as a consumer issue and forward you to CAB)

http://www.lawcentres.org.uk/i-am-looking-for-advice
Original post by Sammylou40
A diagnosis for adhd is not a simple one appointment It is much more complicated.
He isn’t billing you for wasting time. He is billing you for the appointment.
Write him a letter explaining what you thought went wrong and what you were expecting.
They will very probably pursue you for payment so be prepared. It could end in a ccj.

On the basis of what the OP said then the letter clearly indicates it was about adhd. He can bill for the appointment, but where he was not in a position t deliver the service agreed upon, then he shouldnt be billing anything. CAB can go over the details.

If the op writes a good enough letter, then he will end up writing it off as not being worth it. It depends on the details, but theres every reason not to pay at the moment until someone assesses exactly whats gone on.

In the situation where I turn up for an adhd assessment acknowledged by them an he says he inst qualified, then thats it and I wouldnt pay as he failed to deliver the service.

Quick Reply

Latest