The Student Room Group

uk passport holder

Hi, I have been living in an EU county since 2007. I was born in the UK and will be returning to the UK in 2018, am I eligible for a maintenance loan? My parents relocated due to work.

Thank you
Original post by Tolkien too much
Hi, I have been living in an EU county since 2007. I was born in the UK and will be returning to the UK in 2018, am I eligible for a maintenance loan? My parents relocated due to work.

Thank you

Hi

To qualify for Higher Education support as a home student, they must meet the following standard residency requirements:

UK National

Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and

be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

Thanks

Catherine
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi

To qualify for Higher Education support as a home student, they must meet the following standard residency requirements:

UK National

Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and

be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

Thanks

Catherine

Does this not have any bearing

Category 6: Settled status and exercised a right of residence in the European Economic Area and Switzerland

To qualify for Student Support under this category, you must:
1.be settled in the UK;

AND 2.be ordinarily resident in the UK on the day on which the first term of the first academic year of your course actually begins;

AND 3.have been ordinarily resident in England and settled in the UK immediately before leaving the UK and exercising a right of residence (this means that, before leaving the UK, you must be either a UK national, or the family member of a UK national and you have settled status, or a person with the right of permanent residence, and you or your family member has been a worker or self-employed person, or a student or self-sufficient person somewhere in the European Economic Area or Switzerland, other than the UK);

AND 4.you have been ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area or Switzerland for the three-year period before the first day of the first academic year of your course;

AND 5.if, during that three-year period, you were ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area or Switzerland mainly in order to receive full-time education, you must have been ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area and/or Switzerland immediately before that three-year period (this does include time spent there in full-time education).

This is the category that entitles you to full Student Support if you are a British citizen or the family member of a British citizen (as long as you have settled status yourself before you leave the UK with your British family member) if you have been living outside the UK but elsewhere in the EEA and/or Switzerland.

Category 6: Settled status and exercised a right of residence in the European Economic Area and Switzerland

1.be settled in the UK;

AND 2.be ordinarily resident in the UK on the day on which the first term of the first academic year of your course actually begins;

AND 3.have been ordinarily resident in England and settled in the UK immediately before leaving the UK and exercising a right of residence (this means that, before leaving the UK, you must be either a UK national, or the family member of a UK national and you have settled status, or a person with the right of permanent residence, and you or your family member has been a worker or self-employed person, or a student or self-sufficient person somewhere in the European Economic Area or Switzerland, other than the UK);

AND 4.you have been ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area or Switzerland for the three-year period before the first day of the first academic year of your course;

AND 5.if, during that three-year period, you were ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area or Switzerland mainly in order to receive full-time education, you must have been ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area and/or Switzerland immediately before that three-year period (this does include time spent there in full-time education).

This is the category that entitles you to full Student Support if you are a British citizen or the family member of a British citizen (as long as you have settled status yourself before you leave the UK with your British family member) if you have been living outside the UK but elsewhere in the EEA and/or Switzerland.

Hi Tolkien too much,

As you have not been in the UK 3 years prior to the start of the course, this means that you are entitled to EU funding (tuition fees only).

You can complete a PN1 application and we can look into this for you, but with the information you have provided you are entitled to EU funding only.

Thanks

Catherine

1.be settled in the UK;

Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi Tolkien too much,

As you have not been in the UK 3 years prior to the start of the course, this means that you are entitled to EU funding (tuition fees only).

You can complete a PN1 application and we can look into this for you, but with the information you have provided you are entitled to EU funding only.

Thanks

Catherine

I believe Tolkien too much is correct, UK citizens who have exercised a 'right of residence' in the EEA/Switzerland are treated as home students for student finance purposes (and should therefore receive maintenance loans).
HI SNUFKIN,

I called SFE and they confirmed that I am entitled to Maintenance loan and will be classed as a home student. Thanks for backing me up. Catherine please make sure you you are 100% correct before responding to posts.

Thank you

Original post by Snufkin
I believe Tolkien too much is correct, UK citizens who have exercised a 'right of residence' in the EEA/Switzerland are treated as home students for student finance purposes (and should therefore receive maintenance loans).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending